MyLaps.com

jwhinton

Just a question: Why are our lap times not available on MyLaps.com? I would have thought that since we use AMB transponders it would happen automatically (though I suppose it's not that simple).

Does it cost money or is it a lot of trouble?

I have seen the results from the one SCCA race I was in and the information was both fun and useful.

Just wondering . .

Joe

Lets see. In Portland during one of the practice sessions you did a.....

1:52.2
1:38.8
1:38.8
1:37.6
etc. ;)

Looky here:

http://www.icscc.com/2009/results/race03/laptimes_june_7_2009.pdf

For the other races, go here and click on the "LAPS" in the right hand column for races completed and posted.

http://www.icscc.com/schedule.php

Okay, it isn't MyLaps but the information is there along with your fellow racers.

The nice thing about the PDF files is, you can compare any given lap with what others in your group ran all on one (or 2) pages of the data. MUCH appreciated T&S people!

Last edited:
I do know all about all of my laps (and I know they aren't all laps to brag about) and I don't mean to belittle the work that T&S does, and I appreciate all the data that is available here. MyLaps just adds to it a little, with graphs, mph, and lap by lap overlaid comparaisons with other racers.

Anyway, I was just curious more than anything about why we aren't hooked up with MyLaps.

Joe

JW,

My, my! I did NOT in any way mean my post to seem negative. I didn't know you knew that info was available in the results section.

The use of MyLaps does have some advantages for sure. I have no clue what it costs a club to use it.

P.S.
Any lap you complete is a good one :D

Sigh.. feeling bad that I may have been misunderstood :( Slinking off in to the corner with my dunce hat on.

Last edited:
As always there is a little more to the story then santioning the activity and I am sure that there are others more knowledgable than I that can add information to Mr. Hinton's question. Our P&P requires a specific format for posting results (15.4.1.6, page 48), the AMB Orbitz 4 program doesn't post the results in the required P&P format. T&S has had to develop an overlay computer program/system to put the AMB results in the required P&P format. This has been an on-going topic of discusion at IRDC for some time. I understand there has been some communication with AMB about this issue but I suspect we are probably a very small minority with this problem. The general feeling among the IRDC Board members is that IRDC will propose a rule change to the P&P. As always the decision will be left up to those that chose to attend their Club meetings and vote and give instruction to their E-Board representatives.

As always there is a little more to the story then santioning the activity and I am sure that there are others more knowledgable than I that can add information to Mr. Hinton's question. Our P&P requires a specific format for posting results (15.4.1.6, page 48), the AMB Orbitz 4 program doesn't post the results in the required P&P format. T&S has had to develop an overlay computer program/system to put the AMB results in the required P&P format. This has been an on-going topic of discusion at IRDC for some time. I understand there has been some communication with AMB about this issue but I suspect we are probably a very small minority with this problem. The general feeling among the IRDC Board members is that IRDC will propose a rule change to the P&P. As always the decision will be left up to those that chose to attend their Club meetings and vote and give instruction to their E-Board representatives.

Maybe incorporating the lastest softwear update from Blind Apex could happen at the same time? It is free from Blind Apex. Then those of us with the in car display could get the class position, interval to class leader etc info.
http://www.blindapex.com/downloads.html

I know nothing about all of this but could it be as simple as proposing that we accept the format of results that comes right from the AMB Orbitz or Blind Apex software?

If I am rehashing old issues I am sorry, nothing worse then picking at an old wound:rolleyes:

And by no means am I slighting the hard work and effort our T/S volunteers do for us!:D

Mylaps was posting results from karting events that we were involved in practically overnight, and that was at least 5 years ago. They didn't have 200+ entries, but there were probably close to 100 on a good week-end, so it should be a fairly simple procedure to make Conference a part of that scene.
As forward thinking as we usually are, sometimes we are a little backwards on the relatively simple stuff.

Mylaps only needs the information uploaded. With karting we save it to a memory and somebody generally uploads it same day or next. (we have forgotten at least once)

We always put results are completely unofficial. Now we don't have any rules on how information can be posted.

All I can say is these things seem simple but are rarely so.

We are running an older version of AMB's Orbitz software and it doesn't produce output that matches what is required in the current Policy and Procedure Manual. The IRDC Board discussed this at length last night and it sounds like there is an ongoing effort to move forward, so keep the faith!

We are, as always, a member driven organization. Keep those suggestions coming, although we reserve the right to draft the loudest voices into actually working on the solution!

One of my favorite sayings -

Time grinds exceedingly slow, but exceedingly fine.

Thanks for all the info and the interesting discussion. I didn't think it would be simple.

To Richard B. I apologize, I was feeling a little cranky last night and overreacted to your helpfulness. I hope to meet you at the track one of these weekends.

Joe

What would be really cool is to see live timing in the pits. Through a website so crew members, spectators, etc could follow along during the weekend in real time.

What would be really cool is to see live timing in the pits. Through a website so crew members, spectators, etc could follow along during the weekend in real time.

This is possible iwth RMonitor from AMB I think it requires a newer version of the software (at least Orbits 3?). This also requires a wireless network and will broadcast live timing throughout pits. We have used it karting before and I really like it. I was able to watch timing updates on my phone. It is pretty slick. AMB also offers realtime updates through Mylaps.com but I am not sure how that works.

Last edited:
Back