August 2 IRDC special race

Ok, So what is the protocol, how do we arrange to have multiple drivers in multiple cars on a lapping day. My ignorance is showing.....KVD

I have two cars I would bring if you promise to be nice to them....

It woulld be great if we could share the time so as to get as many people (hooked) in to the cars as are interested.

P.r. - 1963

On the same page as this video is a list of related videos. Including a road race from 1963! Interesting to note the differences between now and then, BIG list of improvements. Except i think we still have the same pavement.:D I like the Zebra Suits the starters had to wear, i vote we bring them back.;)

It would appear to be official, even though a formal reply to this thread has not been forthcoming. The Legends will run the 'special race', and the Miatas will not.
I realize that by now everyone pretty much has figured that out, but to not have a final word from someone at 'the top' is a bit disappointing.
Maybe next year...

Well, I guess I am about as official as it gets for you folks.

As a result of a procedural vote by the Executive Board of the ICSCC, it was decided that Miatas were not to be allowed to race with Legends cars because of "insurance and safety concerns". I'll reserve my comments on that ruling until I have had a better opportunity to discuss it with the e-board or I probably wouldn't be very fair in my assessment. I like to remember that they are all volunteers that are doing what they think is right for Conference as a group and give them the benefit of the doubt, even though I think they accomplished exactly the opposite of what they intended with this one.

We committed to the Legends group and their official/unofficial spokesman Norm Smith. He has worked hard to get as many drivers here as he can and sold their National organization on the strength of our race. IRDC would like to thank Norm for his efforts, and we look forward to watching you guys dicing away for our Special Race Group. Make sure and get out from under your car and up in the stands at the end of Saturday - these guys are a ball to watch race.

If anyone is to blame for the false start on the inclusion of Miatas, it is me. I assumed that common sense would allow the race to happen as planned and announced it here before I had agreement from the ICSCC E-board. Sorry 'bout that, I'll be more careful with my announcements in the future.

Last edited:
I remember Chad's car all too well Kenny. Weird to be sure, and most often just getting in the way, but occasionally it would run right and really haul ass. Pretty funny in the corners though!

The days of Chad Southard (sp?), Larry Novotny, Frank McKinnon ran his Mustang, and there were a host of others.

I don't think there were many cars that couldn't be placed into a SR class in them days.

Chad had taken an early '70s Mustang and transmorgrified it into an ASR "Tank". We had another name for it, but that cowcatcher nose would punt the unwary S2 into the golf course outside of the old T1. It didn't slow down as real good as a real SR.

Neither did most of the other "SR"s. Chad got sent back to Novice more than once or twice. Visibility problems with seeing only the bump of a roll bar in the mirrors, then oops there's one of them plastic covered jobs just inside the right rear...making a crunching sound. Sure. There were problems, but hey! That's racing.

Late 80s, early 90s. Anybody got any board minutes from then?

I wonder if these cars had been allowed to run a 2nd group with Group 6 to fill the fields? But then, eventually it was discovered that it wasn't a good solution.

For sure, NOW is a better bet.

OOO OOO The ChadMobile!! I remember that from when I was a kid. He brought it out to a Pioneer Motorsports Club track day and blew the engine up right about start/finish line.... I got to sweep up his remnants by myself. My Dad's response... You're young, it's good for you!

Speaking of S/R -- I've got a pic of a Boss 302 that my Dad ran in AIS and ASR back in the late 70's/early 80's.

Norm or Keith,

Rounding up people to come and watch this weekend. Any update from your end on estimated car count or whatever you may have to share about the special Legends Race?

Jim,
As far as I can tell we have about 12-15 of the fastest Legends cars coming in from Washington, Oregon, California, and Canada. There may be others that I don't know of but I think these numbers should be pretty accurate. Included in this group are past champions, current points leaders, some ICSCC racers driving a Legends car for the first time, etc. We promise to do our best to put on a fabulous show for all those at the track. We encourage anyone interested in drving our cars in the future to stop in our pits and say hello. You never know when a car will be available to race.........
And once again, on behalf of Keith, myself, and the whole Legends group, thanks to everyone from IRDC and ICSCC who helped make this happen. With your help and patience we hope to have a tremedous show for all those attending.
Cheers,
Norm Smith #11 Father of Ian Smith #18

OH I CAN'T WAIT!! I always have a grin ear to ear watching the small local group race ... I'll be giddy watching such a big group of you!!!

The Special race was great!

I was a great race to watch. My wife thinks the Legend cars are cute, and I think they represent some real driver competition. The race showed how close racing can be when a group of cars and drivers are close and friendly. We called it "Friends between Checker and Green Flags" in PRO3 when we sported "Dirt Cheap Racing" tee shirts.
I for one think the Legends have really enhanced ICSCC weekends.
Now that the out of area Legend cars have experienced Conference racing will they be coming more often?

Keith, please pass along our thanks for having your guys make the trip and join us.
WHAT A RUSH to watch all of you battle it out. (some however, really didn't like visiting the stop sign in the short shute from Trn 3 to Turn 4)
I hope they come back for more and that they were made welcome and treated with the ICSCC hospitality that we are known for.
Lynn

The Special Race weekend was indeed just that for all us Legends drivers. Everyone involved with the ICSCC went way above and beyond the call to make all our group feel welcome. As mistakes were made on the track due to lack of local knowledge we were assisted in a professional manner to guide our drivers to the proper way of road racing. Sorry that we didn't get to make it over to the BBQ. We had planned on making it to the BBQ as a group to say thanks for the great effort on the part of the corner workers, officials, and other drivers for making us feel so welcome. Unfortunatly due the Saturday race being a national event for us we were required to tear cars apart for a tech inspection that took about 2 hours. Those that weren't getting inspected helped tear apart and put cars back together so we could have a full field for Sunday. We hope that we met the expectations of those involved and thank each of you for the chance to show you what the Legends are all about. On a personal note... As the father of the youngest Legend driver out there this weekend (Ian Smith #18) it was a joy to watch him mix it up with the pro drivers. But I don't know if I could watch too many more laps of him racing that close to the other 2 lead cars. My gut still is tied up in knots! It's easier to race than it is to watch. Next race I will try not to break on the 1st lap.

Greg and Lynn, Thanks for the kind words, we all had a blast. Pacific Raceways is a great facility and Conference as always a great host.
(rsracer, bump drafting????) I am sure that we were just following each other real close...
Norm summed up very well how we all feel. One of the track crew at lunch even took the time to bring our tech man ("Papa" Chuck Sherwood) a lunch basket and said "your not just a Tech your also a volunteer" That made us both feel very welcome, Thanks.
I made several phone calls today and was only met with positive responses. I would like to go out on a limb and say that we "The Legends" thank everyone involved in putting on this "Special Event" and would also like to thank Conference for all the Venue opportunities they provide to all us racers. We are looking forward to doing this again next season with a stronger presence. Thank you very much.

Back