August 2 IRDC special race

Well it's nice to know they printed my article cause they never notified me that they were actually going to do that. But if it says anything about me other than as the submitter then they apparently changed it again just like the last one I submitted in 08'. I had no reason to mention myself because I didn't even run that enduro.
If that is the case then I will not be submitting to them in the future, even though I'd miss the whopping 75 bucks they pay per article!

I just received an email from a friend who tells me the article mentions me as winning the race! I can't beleive they could take a simple submission and screw it up that badly, but just to set the record straight this is what I submitted to them;

Thanks for submitting the article, Wes. I'm a regular reader of Grassroots Motorsports as are my Dad and a couple of other family members.

Articles like that help put the Conference "on the radar", so to speak. I read it and thought it was a nice article. Nice photo by Curtis, too!

P.S. Congrats on your win ;)

Thanks Mike. Perhaps since the M3 won again they assumed I was driving, but in one of my emails to them I mentioned that I was Co-chairing the race that week-end.
Oh well, at least we did get some publicity out of it as you say.

Endurance racing rules!

Thanks Mike. Perhaps since the M3 won again they assumed I was driving, but in one of my emails to them I mentioned that I was Co-chairing the race that week-end.

That car is FAST and so reliable. Remember the epic battle between Pat and our own Steve Adams in his "Plastic Fantastic" M3? (in it's very first race longer then 30 mins)
Each car/driver had they're place on the track where they were better then the other. Swapping the lead lap after lap nose to tail.

Then the surprise ending! Oh no, Steve has to pit for a splash of fuel. Wait, Pat does too! Man that was exciting.

Being part of a team winning an enduro overall is something to never forget. Takes a reliable fast car, spot on flexible strategy, smart fast driving, and some luck. We have seen many a faster car with a huge margin fail in the very last part of the race.

Ever notice how many times Eric Krause's 968 Porsche is in the top 5 at enduros?

Pro3's do well too.

Enduro racing rocks!:cool:

:rolleyes:sorry for the thread jack....we now resume our regular scheduled thread broadcast....

Back on topic - I'd personally like to see a special race group with good, close racing - preferably open wheel since I don't get to watch you guys very often.

How about an open-wheel baton race with pairings determined by G3 and G6 qualifying results earlier in the day? Pairings would be fastest with slowest, 2nd fastest with 2nd slowest, etc. If an odd number of cars entered, the guy/gal in the middle would run the whole race (but would have to stop in the middle with everyone else and do a simulated baton handoff). All the slower cars would run first, then all the faster cars, to keep closing speeds lower. Making all OW cars eligible would get the numbers and $$$ up, and it wouldn't be YAMBER (yet another Mazda/BMW exhibition race).

and it wouldn't be YAMBER (yet another Mazda/BMW exhibition race).

Maybe I'm gettin' kinda tired of Spiniatas and BeUMMPers

Maybe this is because these are the most popular or affordable cars?
Therefore the greatest ROI for the hosting club?
Not a knock against any other cars:)

I'm not say'in, I'm just say'in;)

I don't care if I get to be in a special race or not (because I am not sure I could afford it), but I really would like to see the club do what they feel is best for them. :D
All the clubs need the increased revenue which is the point I believe.

If that ends up being something different then the usual that is even betta.....

....How about an open-wheel baton race with pairings determined by G3 and G6 qualifying results earlier in the day? Pairings would be fastest with slowest, 2nd fastest with 2nd slowest, etc.

That would be interesting. Would it be promoted as the "Second Battle of Baton"? As the open wheels are used to running with sports racers, include them too.

Second reason it would be good is, open wheel/sports racer engines don't last 240,000 miles (cough, Pro3). This would give those groups a 'special' without undue taxing their more delicate motors.

P.S.
For you who are not old, the Battle of Baton was a famous part of WW II in the Phillippines.

Last edited:
Intriquing idea, but could it be put together in 6 weeks? I'm game, as I'm sure others would be, but the baton idea puter outer would need to be involved and help with the details. Who was that anyway? Oh yeah, Bob.
For those interested we could kick it around over a cold one this week-end in beautiful downtown British Columbia.

Scott, maybe it's been done. Watching these "most popular" breeds of race car for their normal two races a weekend is probably enough for the casual observer.

Understood that the drivers think that everyone should be as thrilled about their marque as they are, but that's just a bit ego driven, what? DGMW, I enjoy the closed wheel groups tremendously, but...

I see no fault in redistributing the time that has been freed up by this season's absence of the NOW group on the nromal schedule. The cry that instigated this situation was one of not enough track time for everyone. Now it's turning into track time offered to only some.

The Baton thing is 'special' and meets that particular criteria, so it comes down to whether a club's need to make more money outweighs the value/quality of their ICSCC championship event to include all of their regular competitors.

Not just the popular brands.

Go for it then and I will watch and enjoy with grin on my face!

I was just stating the reasons why it I think it has usually been what it has been. I was not "promoting my marque".

I am good with whatever the hosting club wants to do if they feel it is in they're benefit. It is the "clubs" decision with they're members input.

Yes, I know, Steve. But I figured none of you were old enough to catch that :)

Or, considering the state of education in U.S. History, never heard of it.

OR, we could make it the "Battle of Baton" and hire the U.W. cheer leaders to come out and pass the baton's!!!

No, that won't work. Ken wouldn't let them in the hot pits with those short skirts :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back