Conference Touring 4 (CT4) - T4/Pro3/Pro44/ITS/ITA

colin_koehler

Great SCOTT!
The SCCA class, Touring 4, is showing positive growth and has a very attractive rule-set for new additions to racing. The cars are modern, the prep limited and the operating costs low; which is all part of the attractiveness.

We thought about adding T4 to Group 5 to attract these SCCA folks and allow the ICSCC drivers building T4 cars a continued place in Conference, however, after studying race/qualifying results from various events and tracks between SCCA and ICSCC it was clear that T4 cars were roughly the same pace as several cars currently in group 5, some of which were racing in a class they are not ideal for (like PRO3 in EIP). It was apparent that the better solution was to create CT4 (conference touring 4) and include all these similarly paced cars.

The CT4 class includes:
  • SCCA T4
  • PRO3
  • PRO44
  • ITS
  • ITA

The cars would be required to be legal to their respective classes.

If you're running Group 5 this year with one of these cars, please consider racing in the CT4 class. It incorporates multiple classes of similarly paced cars and puts them in 1 class with the potential for sizeable numbers.

The Conference 2019 competition rules are not yet published but the CT4 class reads:

A. Purpose - The CT4 class is intended to provide competition for commonly available, recently produced cars in a near street legal form and allow cars prepped to popular classes within Conference that run similar lap times. Spec lines for cars added to the CT4 class and modifications to spec lines for existing CT4 cars shall ensure performance does not exceed that of SCCA T4.

B. Specifications – Safety and Technical regulations in section 11 of the current ICSCC Competition Regulations shall be in force. Where conflicts arise between Section 11 and the current year SCCA GCR, Section 11 shall prevail.

Cars competing in CT4 shall meet the requirements in the table below

CT4 spec table.png

2019 competition rules

The Conference 2019 competition rules are not yet published but the CT4 class reads:

The competition rules were published shortly after the January Spring Executive Board meeting and distributed at the March 9th Rats meeting.

Group composition is done at the Executive Board meetings. I don't recall which Executive Board meeting.

" There shall be no classification changes after the Spring meeting prior to the coming season." Section 1301 Comp regs.

If you want a new class added it takes a petition signed by 5 drivers who will participate in the class to sign on and submit the petition. I don't recall exactly where that is in the regulations but we did that for SRX to run in Group 3 and it was approved and of course as time has passed and the racing climate has changed and that has gone by the wayside. That allowed us in SR to have 2 races like everyone else for a time.

Dick

If you want a new class added it takes a petition signed by 5 drivers who will participate in the class to sign on and submit the petition.

Dick

Dick, you're right, what I meant regarding publishing is that the 2019 CRs are not yet published to the ICSCC website.

Last edited:
CT4 is now in the books

Update:

After the last double at PIR, there is a total of 46 entries that I count. That means that CT4 has exceeded the necessary 2.5 entries/race for the season and is onto becoming an official championship class next year with Conference!!

And what a class it is!! In race #8 at PIR, the fastest laps of the 8 cars in class were only separated by 7/10ths of a second. I hope the Group5 E30s are finding it a fun to compete in. I've heard positive things from the other CT4 cars as well. I know Roldan and I have been having a great time with our Scions/Toyotas.

The other neat thing is that the SCCA T4 drivers find it attractive as well and expressed interest in attending a Conference events, in fact, Scotty B already has a couple times with his T4 Mustang. We Roldan was brainstorming CT4, we were encourage that these different classes were "close" and that T4 cars would be as close, but I don't think we expected the T4 to compliment the Conference PRO3/ITS/PRO44 cars so well.

I hope people looking to start racing will consider buying/building T4/CT4 cars in the future. They are modern, affordable to build (or buy) and because so little can be done - very low maintenance as well (oh, and runoff eligible).

To everyone who came out to play in CT4 so far and going forward - thank you.

To everyone who came out to play in CT4 so far and going forward - thank you.

Yes, thanks!

For anyone considering a racecar purchase, this car could probably be had for less than $10k:
https://www.racingjunk.com/Road-Club-Racing/183332070/2005-Acura-RSX-Type-S-T4-.html?category_id=5673&np_offset=14

There have also been some good deals on RX-8s and Mustangs over the past year. I think a Mustang that won Runoffs at one point in its life was listed for $8k.

Back