Annual Tech

jharvey

Back in the day, there used to be a roaming tech guy that could come to where your car was (within a certain distance) and do the annual tech for the season. Is someone still doing that?

Yes we still do. Please have an annual tech form available at your car. Then following a satisfactory inspection the annual form is kept by the driver/owner and given to the steward to place a annual tech sticker in your logbook. The steward will keep the form. After receiving your annual tech sticker you just bring your logbook to following events registration and get signed off to race right there.

I think what he is suggesting is that someone come to his house or garage and perform an annual tech prior to the season?

I've gone to a number of drivers homes or shops when they had a car under construction or were making substantial changes and wanted to be sure it was legal when they were done. I have even occasionally done a preseason annual inspection on cars if they asked and I happened to be close or passing by. We have even tried to organize tech days at various locations on dates previous to the racing year but have been light on commitments from drivers to bring their car out. Conference has made some operational changes in the last couple years to reduce demand on volunteers and ease driver stress on tightly packed race weekends by instituting separate and very helpful car and gear annual tech procedures. It is very much in the Steward's best interests to have every car possible recieve an annual inspection either before the season or as early in the season as possible. I would be willing to do a preseason annual day somewhere like Pat's Autosport in Auburn with the agreement of the current Stewarding team and if there is enough interest to get some done from drivers.

There may be other potential locations to serve people in other parts of Conference territory if there is enough interest - feel free to post your level of interest here and contact your racing friends and see if they would be interested in this kind of event.

If, on the other hand, he was just asking if we still have roaming tech in the paddock at race weekends and selected other driver training or HPDE events - yes, tech people are usually working hard to roam the paddock starting Friday afternoon when people are arriving and through the normal tech hours through the weekend.

Last edited:
I was hoping to have it done at my garage, but would be willing to take it somewhere to get it inspected, or can wait until a roaming tech at the race or whatnot. I’d also be willing to pay a fee or something for someone to come out.

To all intents and purposes if you show up with the proper annual form the authorized tech inspectors at each race will generally perform an annual the first time you show up for a race. That way all you have to do is show the "car annual" sticker that they affix to the back of your log book and/or the "gear annual" sticker that will be affixed to the back of your racing license at registration when you are doing your entry paperwork for the rest of the year to receive an "event tech" sticker to affix to your car at each event. That means the first time you come out this year make sure you bring a properly completed and signed tech form that you printed from the "forms" section of this website, get a roving tech or present your car at the formal tech area and have an authorized tech person complete your annual form, then go trade that completed form for annual tech stickers from the Steward, Assistant Steward, or authorized ex-Stewards designated by the current team that will be affixed to your log book and license. For the rest of the year you can present your license and log book with current tech stickers when you go through the registration process and not have to have your car or gear reinspected for the remainder of that racing year.

Back