New to PNW. Class for modified E46 M3?

Hey all, I'm new to the area and have an E46 M3. I'm trying to find a class to race in, but since there's no German Touring Series or Touring i'm running into a bit of a wall.

It currently has built suspension and 18x9.5 wheels. If i'm able to find a class, I plan to install a cage. I believe the suspension and tire modification limits the more stock classes. Are there any that you guys would recommend looking into? Thanks!

Last edited:
Welcome to the area! ST maybe something to consider, or SPM. These classes tend to get at least some competition and allow a lot of different cars to compete.

I would absolutely look at ST (http://race-st.com), since the E46 M3 has been a very successful car in that class. Also, as Ben said, SPM, which pretty covers anything that has an engine of the right size.

I've been looking all over for info on SPM, but haven't found any regulations besides engine size and a cage. Can you guys point me in the right direction for that? Thanks!

Actually, you pretty much described the SPx classes: As long as a car meets all the safety rules and has an engine of the right size, you're good to go. The only real variation is when working with forced induction, which can bump you up a class, and understanding where a particular rotary engine is classified.

tldr; If your car is legal for ST, it'll also be legal for SPU/SPM/SPO according to engine displacement.

Another vote for ST. Or sell your M3 and buy/build a SpecE46. Since you haven't caged the M3 yet that's a very viable option. SpecE46 is a great and growing class both in the ICSCC and around the nation. IMHO sell the M3 and build the SpecE46. Come out to the races and hang out with the Spec E46 folks, they will convince you.

Here's some more clarity about classes for your BMW. Once it's caged and has fire safety gear in it, your car will slot into three classes: SPM, ST and ITE. SPM is Super Production for cars with displacements between 2 and 4 liters. Car development is wide open. This is the class that I run my E46 M3. ST is a class that ensures competition by limiting horsepower to 10% of a car and driver's weight. A 3,000# car can have no more than 300hp. ITE is a catch-all class. If your car meets safety requirements, you are good to go. Obviously, you never know who will sign up for this class and go like hell!

Come out to a race weekend and talk to drivers. You will get a better feeling for where you want to go with your car.

Richard

ST is a class that ensures competition by limiting horsepower to 10% of a car and driver's weight. A 3,000# car can have no more than 300hp.

So how is the 10% horsepower rule enforced?

Does someone bring a portable chassis dyno to the race?

It's mostly done on trust, with everyone having to provide dyno sheets (and have them available at all times) that show the car's legal. There are also rules about compliance protests. I know having a portable dyno on hand has been looked into, more than once, but it's pretty expensive. There are also some modifiers that can change the 10:1 ratio up or down depending upon type of transmission, tires, which wheels provide drive, etc.

Back