Race Schedule ?

For me, if you drop a green flag in front of me, points or no points, I'm racing! You have been warned....

I cannot go for a championship, don't have time or money but any green flag racing I can get I will go for it. I have an open wheel car so the Friday T&T is important for testing/practice. My feeling (mine alone, take it or leave it) is bring a car ready to race or do the T&T. I personally like the "fun" races because, to me they all are FUN!

Race Schedule

For me, if you drop a green flag in front of me, points or no points, I'm racing! You have been warned....

I cannot go for a championship, don't have time or money but any green flag racing I can get I will go for it. I have an open wheel car so the Friday T&T is important for testing/practice. My feeling (mine alone, take it or leave it) is bring a car ready to race or do the T&T. I personally like the "fun" races because, to me they all are FUN!

Last night at SCCBC club meeting the club voted to change the race schedule.

Saturday Sunday
Practice Qualify
Qualify Race 2
Race 1 Race 3

I met with a Formula Ford driver from DC/Virginia region on the weekend they to have gone to this format to get more entries and track time Between 2-3hrs of track time.
They practice Friday qualify saturday and the rest is Racing, he said since they moved to this format they have seen an increase in formula car entries.

Alan that's what we are switching to for this season as well except we only qualify once for the weekend.

Sat Sun
Prac Prac
Qual Race 2
Race1 Race 3

That's compared to our old schedule of

Sat Sun
Prac Prac
Qualy Race3
Race1 Race4
Race2 Race5
Race6

Saturday Sunday
Practice Qualify
Qualify Race 2
Race 1 Race 3

That seems to violate the scheduling rules in the ICSCC competition regs:

E/C C. Each Conference race program, whether a single or multiple race
weekend, shall schedule practice and qualifying sessions as follows:

1. For Senior Drivers no less than one (1) qualifying session per
championship race. All qualifying sessions must be of at least 15
minutes in length. Practice sessions are optional for Senior race events.

Jack, we are a bunch of amateurs, and hardly anybody uses practice to shake down a car. I trust 'most' of our drivers to have enough sense to do a few easy laps first time out, no matter what session it is if they have any lingering issues with their car. I actually have not seen anyone use qualifying in recent years as it was intended, like coming into the hot pits for consultation or adjustments because there just isn't time for that anymore.
If Sovren and other organizations can do it, then so can we. Let's do a warm up the first session, then as many races as we can from there. We need more sessions per day in the car rather than run at like 9:30 and then sit around for the next 3 or 4 hours. So we do 15 or 20 minute runs, so what, at least we are out more often and will get more seat time in the long run.
If I were to add up the hours I have lost over the last 40 years sitting in paddocks across the NW I would no doubt weep.

Gotta say, if I were to add up all the hours droning down the highway driving from town to town earning a living I might consider those hours "lost" but I regularly pay for the privledge of sitting around in a race paddock. I enjoy the people that I find there so I don't know that I would act like it was some kind of punishment.

Just sayin'

That seems to violate the scheduling rules in the ICSCC competition regs:

E/C C. Each Conference race program, whether a single or multiple race
weekend, shall schedule practice and qualifying sessions as follows:

1. For Senior Drivers no less than one (1) qualifying session per
championship race. All qualifying sessions must be of at least 15
minutes in length. Practice sessions are optional for Senior race events.

Maybe, but I don't see any rule that says a race can't also be a qualifying session.

I would love to see something like this per group, where all races counted for points:
Saturday
Qualifying 1 - 15 min.

Race 1/Qual 2 - 20 min.

Sunday
Race 2/Qual 3 - 25 min.
(Grid set by lap times in Qual 2 - not by finishing position in Race 1)

Race 3 - 25 min.
(Grid set by lap times in Qual 3- not finishing position in Race 2)

How about on Saturday we have a practice, qualifying with the Novice stuff just like normal, then Sunday there's a 10 min. warm up, points race and done?

I am really Baffled, Could someone explain to me why so many of you in ICSCC object to more track time and a better schedule for more exciting racing less time sitting around. So many clubs are looking for ways to increase participation and to improve race groups are moving in this direction. More track time doesn't mean you have to give up the social side of it you still have plenty of time to sit around with your buddies. Are we there to race or is it just an excuse to take the old race race out for a monthly dust off for a couple of laps and sit around and talk about racing. I know i'm not much of a spectator i may watch the odd race but i would rather be racing.

We are doing this to RACE aren't we

9:05AM-5PM

Find the formula. Remembering that there are human volunteers that aren't sitting around all that much in between sessions. Regardless of whether it's practice, qualifying, points race, or competition qualifying heats.

The difference aren't all that significant except for more intensity in the points aspect of a "race".

Saturday Sunday
Practice Qualify
Qualify Race 2
Race 1 Race 3

I met with a Formula Ford driver from DC/Virginia region on the weekend they to have gone to this format to get more entries and track time Between 2-3hrs of track time.
They practice Friday qualify saturday and the rest is Racing, he said since they moved to this format they have seen an increase in formula car entries.

This is for CACC events only, not the ICSCC SCCBC event.

This format works really well for 4 race groups per weekend. Not 7 or 8 in icscc. Now, factor in that almost all icscc cars are 2 group eligible and you come to the realization that you can have 8 sessions in 2 days, 4 of which are races (if counting the quali race of IRDC), or at spokane, it would make for 12 sessions in 3 days with 6 championship races... pretty sure that adds up to more track time and races (and race minutes) than just about anywhere else. Matter of fact its so much, a lot of people don't even try to do it.

Also, I'm pretty sure that ICSCC has more entries per weekend (or race) than just about any other club over the course of the full season than anywhere else on the continent. Seems like the formula works.

Four race groups per weekend. Hmmm. Big OW, Little OW, Big CW, Little CW? No double entries because you already have plenty of track time. Run it like a TnT.

With just four run groups, I could pretty easily envision a world where we rapidly exceed the cars-per-mile limit on most of our tracks.

This is for CACC events only, not the ICSCC SCCBC event.

This format works really well for 4 race groups per weekend. Not 7 or 8 in icscc. Now, factor in that almost all icscc cars are 2 group eligible and you come to the realization that you can have 8 sessions in 2 days, 4 of which are races (if counting the quali race of IRDC), or at spokane, it would make for 12 sessions in 3 days with 6 championship races... pretty sure that adds up to more track time and races (and race minutes) than just about anywhere else. Matter of fact its so much, a lot of people don't even try to do it.

Also, I'm pretty sure that ICSCC has more entries per weekend (or race) than just about any other club over the course of the full season than anywhere else on the continent. Seems like the formula works.

I think the reason guys run in two groups is to get more racing in for the weekend. I very much doubt that anyone running in two groups really needs that much practice and qualifying.

Just to be clear,

My four groups comment was not meant as a suggestion for icscc. There are too many cars. Rather I was pointing out that most cacc race groupings I have seen. OW, big CW, little CW, novice. With a possible hpde group giving time throughout the day as well.

At this point I wrote a much longer statement about why the system is in place, but it seemed like a monumental effort in pissing up a rope, so I deleted it. The reasoning behind the schedule has been dissected on here many times before. Search the forums for schedule and read up and you can view all of the various defenses. If you want change to happen, go to the annual meetings, sign up as a representative for your club...etc.

IMHO things are pretty good the way they are.

Just to be clear,

My four groups comment was not meant as a suggestion for icscc. There are too many cars. Rather I was pointing out that most cacc race groupings I have seen. OW, big CW, little CW, novice. With a possible hpde group giving time throughout the day as well.

At this point I wrote a much longer statement about why the system is in place, but it seemed like a monumental effort in pissing up a rope, so I deleted it. The reasoning behind the schedule has been dissected on here many times before. Search the forums for schedule and read up and you can view all of the various defenses. If you want change to happen, go to the annual meetings, sign up as a representative for your club...etc.

IMHO things are pretty good the way they are.

So what your saying is there is no valid reason other than it's been dissected to death so leave it alone. There is a saying the Mind is like a Parachute if it doesn't open it doesn't WORK

Last edited:
It's just amazing to me. This topic comes up EVERY single Winter. Yet, nobody ever writes a rules change proposal to address it. All just whoopy talk

I didn't say sitting around for hours was a punishment Rick, it is simply a waste of time. Hanging out in the[paddock in the evenings has always been very enjoyable to me, but I would rather be in a car during the day, not waiting 3 or 4 hours between sessions. We pay too much to spend so much time doing nothing.
There have been at least 4 different proposals offered over the last 5 or 6 years, and others before that which all had merit. It doesn't matter if you have 4 groups or 7, it would work. Fewer qualification sessions and more racing is possible if you offer more races of a shorter duration. Nothing says we HAVE to do 30 minutes, and if we did 2 or 3 races of say 20 minutes we would be on track more often and sitting around much less. You qualify once, then you use your finishing position from each race to set your starting position for the next one. I realize this will again fall on deaf ears, so I have had my say on this subject.

Back