Reinstate spec tire for Formula Vee?

wyztek

I am proposing a rule change to re-instate the American Racers as the spec tire for Formula Vee. I have already submitted the rule change request. The main difference is that only one compound will be allowed (the 132 compound) as is used in the SCCA San Francisco Region

My motivation is that I believe it will promote more equal racing at a much lower cost. In short the American Racers remain consistently fast through many heat cycles which means equal racing for possibly a season on the same tire. The Hoosiers are fine tires and are much faster than American Racers, but they drop off very quickly and last maybe 10 heat cycles or approximately 2 race weekends. So to stay racing on equal footing using Hoosiers would require new tires every race.

The American Racers are fun tires to race on; the break-away is very predictable, maybe even better than the Hoosiers. Also the heat-cycle degradation is much slower and the tire lasts much much longer. I'm not sure how many heat cycles they stay competitive, but people talk about getting through a whole season on one set of tires.

I am aware that some people dislike the A.R.'s because they leak air badly. My last set didn't seem to lose air that fast so maybe they have addressed that. Besides there are tire sealants that you could use to coat the inside of the tire to decrease the porosity. "Stan's No-Tube" from the bicycling world is one product that I have used very successfully on my mountain bike. It is a latex based solution that seals the rubber. It may not work on race tires because of a much higher heat build up, but it is worth a try.

Is there any support for this rule change?

Is there any support for this rule change?

I do not support the proposal to limit tires to American Racers, and I know the other two FV racers that dominate the class south of the border agree that we should not adopt a spec tire.

There are only three of us racing in conference down south, except Paul Higgins and Paul Whitworth show up occasionally to show us how it's done and help us remember the lyrics to Oh Canada!

Personally, I use AR's because they're cheap and I'm a novice, so fast tires are not going to help me for a while. After I get all the tracks memorized and my skill level gets up to where it should be, I'll spend more money on Hoosiers. I also buy takeoff Hoosiers occasionally as they are cheaper than AR's, but not common around these parts.

I do plan to buy Hoosier rains are they are said to be excellent, I don't believe AR makes rains for the FV? I've found I use rains more than slicks in this region.

AR's were a spec tire in conference a couple of years ago and it was repealed in 2012, so I prefer we don't make that mistake again.

Chuck and Troy - you guys want to chime in here? Are there any other Vee racers that race south of the border in conference with an opinion?

Jim Phoenix
FV44
IRDC

I do not support the proposal to limit tires to American Racers, and I know the other two FV racers that dominate the class south of the border agree that we should not adopt a spec tire.

There are only three of us racing in conference down south, except Paul Higgins and Paul Whitworth show up occasionally to show us how it's done and help us remember the lyrics to Oh Canada!

Personally, I use AR's because they're cheap and I'm a novice, so fast tires are not going to help me for a while. After I get all the tracks memorized and my skill level gets up to where it should be, I'll spend more money on Hoosiers. I also buy takeoff Hoosiers occasionally as they are cheaper than AR's, but not common around these parts.

I do plan to buy Hoosier rains are they are said to be excellent, I don't believe AR makes rains for the FV? I've found I use rains more than slicks in this region.

AR's were a spec tire in conference a couple of years ago and it was repealed in 2012, so I prefer we don't make that mistake again.

Chuck and Troy - you guys want to chime in here? Are there any other Vee racers that race south of the border in conference with an opinion?

Jim Phoenix
FV44
IRDC

Jim, you and I are on the same page. I have run both. My ARs are flat by the end of the day and they don't have the grip that the Hoosiers do, while my Hoosiers still have air in them three weeks after the event, but go away after about 8 heat cycles. Also like you, I am buying take-offs from others so my cost is low, and will be purchasing a new set of Hoosier rains for next year for the light rain days. My Goodyear dog bones proved they were the tire to have in our heavy rain Seattle race earlier this year, and I won't give those up either!

I don't believe any of us who are running in the class here in ICSCC have complained, and I personally have not heard of any other FV driver from SCCA in any region not coming to run with us because of our tire rule, so why change it?

Just my two cents for what its worth...

Troy Miller
FV #16

I am aware that some people dislike the A.R.'s because they leak air badly. My last set didn't seem to lose air that fast so maybe they have addressed that. ?

...and no, they have not addressed the air leakage, I have new AR's and they leak down to zero overnight. That means I have to remove them and install my Goodyear rains before putting it into the trailer if I ever want to get it out again. There is some magic potion the SFO guys talk about, something like a mixture of brake fluid and ethylene glycol on the inside of the tire, but I haven't tried it.

Back