The Ridge September 28-29

I'm always happy to see you there too, Thomas. And you may be happy to know that the previously conflicting ORSCCA event was moved up to co-habit with the GASS series. It's done. Folks will be back from the run-offs. It would be a great time for those "wanna work the Ridge sometime"-ers to take advantage. This event is usually the 'barn-burner' of the season. I won't mention PRO3, but there'll be some dicin' goin' on.

Last edited:
Thanks Ken, glad to hear, well you know what I mean. I am glad that there isn't a conflict and hope to see more of the Portland crew make the trek to the Ridge. Right now it looks like 160+ entries so far with Group 1 at 50 and the 1 Hour Enduro at 33. With 20 minute non points heat races and the enduro on Saturday and the final points races of the season on Sunday it should be a great weekend of racing.

Hope to see everyone there, and for those that aren't racing this would be the perfect weekend to see things from the other side.

I never believe entry numbers until like, Wednesday before the event. Then I give +/- 10% for whether. But that's a good start.

It's only a rumor mind you, and you didn't hear it from me, so you might already be aware of a plot to turn some turn into a strictly female station. Of course, you'll have the final say in weather their expectations will be met... <guffaw>.

Here's my take on making sure your first or second time corner workers come back ...

I've been at corners as the second person.
I'm there as the second set of eyes (facing opposite of the other guy).
But I'm bored. I have no idea what's going on.
Why?
He has his radio set plugged into his headphones. I hear nothing and I'm not involved in the action at all.
Think about this.
It's like watching TV with the sound off.

If you want your volunteer corners to want to come back they have to be able to hear what's going on.
You may want to have another radio at the corner -- blaring out of its speaker -- if you have two or more workers at a station where the head corner worker is using headphones.

A good communicator should share information with the turn so they are heads-up as situations are changing. It's true that some people get under the head phones and it's like their own little cone of silence. Sharing is good. So and so may have done and Off and On at T8 but by the time they get to where ever you are the tire is shreading. If you didn't know to look it could be missed.

That's why it's called communication. Withholding information can be dangerous.

Go to a football game without a scoreboard, or announcer. I agree, Bill.

If at all possible, I always tried to get a spare radio for a totally new guy OR, actually use the radio without the head set so he could hear what's going on (makes it a little more difficult but well worth the added trouble). I agree Boss... very important to engage him/her that way.

Back