1991 International 4700 Box Truck Converted to Garage totoer Car Hauler RV Reg - $6k

Roldan

1991 International 4700 Box Truck Converted to Garage Toter Car Hauler RV Reg - $6k

Was listed with the car but the car is sold and the price has been reduced...

1991 International 20ft box truck powered by DT360 turbo diesel engine with 5sd manual transmission 157,000 miles. Homemade conversion to garage toter, garage area is ~16ft the remaining 4 feet up front has a raised platform and counter top. Hauls one car inside and has a trailer hitch to tow a second car. Rear air ride suspension lowers and 14ft Melcher fiberglass ramps are used to load the car, ramps stow under car. Area under counter top is storage accessed from the garage side. Area over cab is used for sleeping. Interior is mostly unfinished, work stopped once RV registration was achieved. There is a small water leak at the front right corner of the box, there`s no damage on the outside so it should be fixable if one spent time to track down the source of the leak and seal it. Aside from that corner the rest of the box is dry. Also has automatically isolated 2nd bank of deep cycle batteries to run interior lights and other house loads. RV registration prevents hassle of scales and logbooks when used for recreational purposes.

2012-11-25_10-04-50_172.jpg

2012-08-12_16-51-51_957.jpg

2012-11-25_10-05-06_298.jpg

2012-11-25_10-05-45_625.jpg

2012-11-25_12-51-06_222.jpg

2012-11-25_12-50-12_722.jpg

2012-11-25_12-51-54_152.jpg

Attachments

• 2012-08-12_16-51-51_957.jpg
    2012-08-12_16-51-51_957.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 9,864
Last edited:
Hello Ben,

It gets somewhere between 8 and 9mpg hauling two cars to Spokane. There is not trip meter so it's difficult to get an accurate calculation.

Feel free to make any offer you're comfortable with, we are very motivated to sell. I have been working on advertising it in more places and am starting to get bites so it may not be around much longer.

Roldan

Hey Roldan, a couple questions.

What is the box length, from the back doors to just behind the cab?

What is the box structure built from? Is the external skin aluminum sheet or FRP?

What does the truck weigh empty?

It looks like it only has the one fuel tank, is that correct? Is it a 50 gallon tank?

When was the overhead last done on the engine?

Air brakes or hydraulic?

What is the tire size?

Thanks in advance.

I just sold the truck earlier today.

In case you're still curious:
-Box is 20ft from doors to cab
-Skin is aluminum I think, magnets don't stick to it. Structure is an E-track rail
-Weighs 13,000 or so empty
-One 50gal tank
-No engine overhaul that I know of
-Hydraulic brakes
-10R22.5 tires

I just sold the truck earlier today.

Oh well!

It looks like a great way to put together a race hauler, and have the conveniences of home too. And then when one is not racing they can put the daily driver in it and go on vacation too!

In case you're still curious:

Yes, I am, and thanks for responding even though the rig is sold.

-Weighs 13,000 or so empty

Sorry, I also meant to ask what it was rated for gross weight too.

-No engine overhaul that I know of

Actually, "doing the overhead" is adjusting the valves, and on that engine the injectors are actuated in a similar fashion and require adjustment too, much like a valve adjustment. It is a very important maintenance procedure, essential to a long and happy life for a diesel engine, and is required every 100,000 miles. If maintained properly those engines should go a million miles without ever needing to open them up. I.E. oil and filter changes at the proper time, cooling system maintenance and using the correct coolant, fuel filter changes according to the recommended schedule, etc.

At 157,000 miles that engine is barely broken in.

-Hydraulic brakes

Interesting. You mention is has air ride on the drive axle, so then the engine must have an air compressor running off of the accessory drive then?

It worked out very well for us, wasn't quite setup for comfortable living but that could have been fixed with more work. Maybe someday we'll try something similar, for the time being we're going to try something mainstream.

Gross weight is 26,000

Thanks for the info on the "overhead" I wish I had known more about that while I owned it. We only drove it about 7,000 miles during our ownership, hopefully the previous owners took care of that. I did try to preserve it with oil and coolant changes. Fortunately it was enough to earn the engine a clean bill of health from the mechanic that inspected it for the new owners.

The compressor was powered by the accessory drive. Other parties commented on the rarity of an air ride truck with hydraulic brakes. I thought it was normal because the UHaul trucks I looked at all had the same setup. The UHaul trucks have down rated axles and showed signs of being frequently overloaded.

Thanks for the info on the "overhead" I wish I had known more about that while I owned it. We only drove it about 7,000 miles during our ownership, hopefully the previous owners took care of that. I did try to preserve it with oil and coolant changes. Fortunately it was enough to earn the engine a clean bill of health from the mechanic that inspected it for the new owners.

That is the great thing about diesel powered vehicles. Routine maintenance is much simpler than that for gasoline powered ones.

Gas powered vehicles have ignition systems to maintain, and the fuel delivery systems suffer from gum and varnish, etc. And the exhaust in a gas rig contains so much moisture that it rusts away from the inside. Diesel exhaust is oily so the systems last much longer, usually failing from rust from the outside.

The compressor was powered by the accessory drive. Other parties commented on the rarity of an air ride truck with hydraulic brakes. I thought it was normal because the UHaul trucks I looked at all had the same setup.

Yes, it is unusual to have air ride and not also have air brakes (which are much better in a truck).

The UHaul trucks have down rated axles and showed signs of being frequently overloaded.

It doesn't surprise me that the UHaul rigs get overloaded. The majority of the people who use them are inexperienced in operating vehicles larger than a 1/2 ton pickup.

HoppingUhaul.jpg

Thanks for the follow up to my questions, it was helpful and informative!

Back