Registration Issues

Richard Broadhead

Flag & Com
Hmmm, LOOKING GOOD!

As you would expect from me, I had a registration problem.

Couldn't log in under my existing info right at the start. So I figured maybe I had to reregister.
Went in and did it. But it kept telling me my E-mail address was already in use by someone else.
Had to register using an E-mail account I never ever use from day-to-day. So, now I'm here. But, it won't allow me to update my info to the correct E-mail cause it says somebody else has that.

Looked at member info and I'm in twice as Rick and Richard. Dang it.

HEY ADMIN GUY:
If you can DELETE the RICK BROADHEAD registration and leave the RICHARD BROADHEAD, maybe I can put in my correct E-mail. (yeah, like anybody really wants to contact me, Hah! )

Last edited:
Mr. Super Moderator could you please delete my old account so I can use my correct email.
I was unable to log in with my old account.
It was "Bmwracer".
Thanks mang.....:)

Were you on the old forum?

In case the Notice on the main page isn't appearing for you, or you just missed it, users from the old forum can continue to use their accounts once they've reset their passwords using this link.

The old system couldn't support spaces in user ACCOUNT names, which is what got imported along with the user DISPLAY name, which could support spaces. Existing user accounts have underscore characters. (I'm assuming you meant that by "underline.")

For those of you who may be doing this.

If you UPDATE your E-mail on the Forum, it will send you a new verification number to that E-mail address. You NEED to follow the link and input the new registration number again before you have full access to the Forum again.

Just went through that. Only took me 10 minutes of 'what the' before I realized it

Last edited:
Oh, lordy, now everyone's gonna want me to do that...

I'm going to have to think on this. I can change it on a case-by-case basis, as people request, or I can do it in one big MySQL query for everyone. While the latter is far easier for me, there are potential issues for those users.

Yes, they wouldn't know who they were/are any more.

But in the mean time, I'd like to say TERRIFIC JOB, Steve of dealing with these early kick off issues.. just super!

You know, when other forums went through this transition it was easier to delete all non-activated accounts and let the users re-create them again. It's less confusing as they see a new forum and automatically head towards registering themselves again (and now they get that error message about existing email). This would also save you the trouble of having to rename user accounts and not know if they wanted the rename or not. Just my $0.02 :)

Before the 'sigs' totally get out of hand can we come to an agreement on how big of a sig to allow?

There are some forums where I have to turn off sigs and pics as a one liner thread reply and a 20 line sig with pics is just tough (and boring) to wade through.

My favorite forum only allows 2 lines of sig and no pics at all.

[getting ready to be voted off the island for suggesting that ...]

Last edited:
You know, when other forums went through this transition it was easier to delete all non-activated accounts and let the users re-create them again. It's less confusing as they see a new forum and automatically head towards registering themselves again (and now they get that error message about existing email). This would also save you the trouble of having to rename user accounts and not know if they wanted the rename or not. Just my $0.02 :)

Yeah, that's a thought. I'm probably already screwed, though.

Wow, that Captcha thing sucks bigtime. Took me about 30 minutes to actually get it to allow me to reset my pwd.

90% of the things it gave me were completely unreadable. Then I realized if you hit refresh on the captcha, no matter what you type it will never match. If you can't read the first one, you have to physically reload the whole page... only the first Captcha will ever match.

I almost gave up, and I work on computers all day for a living. Those Captchas are the absolute worst thing I have ever seen. But I'm here now. Woohoo!

Wow, that Captcha thing sucks bigtime. Took me about 30 minutes to actually get it to allow me to reset my pwd.

90% of the things it gave me were completely unreadable. Then I realized if you hit refresh on the captcha, no matter what you type it will never match. If you can't read the first one, you have to physically reload the whole page... only the first Captcha will ever match.

I almost gave up, and I work on computers all day for a living. Those Captchas are the absolute worst thing I have ever seen. But I'm here now. Woohoo!

I know they can be a pain (I don't like 'em much, either), but the amount of spam/bot/troll registrations I had to deal with dropped from 50% of all registrations to 0 once I switched from a simple image to ReCaptcha.

It wasn't my intention to slight your work Steve. As I said, I do this stuff as a day job and it isn't all roses. It can definitely be a pain in the butt.... as it sounds like your migration was.

vB is way better than the old Discuss forums, so thanks for all your hard work. It will be great to have some of the newer features like link and image posting.

Edit: One note to users: it seems my time zone was defaulted to GMT on the new system. To change to local GMT-8 click the 'User CP' link at the top of the page, then Edit Options on the left, select the proper time zone and Save the settings.

Last edited:
Back