Head and Neck Restraint

I find it difficult to believe that anyone's budget is so tight that the cost of a head-and-neck device makes the difference between racing and not, unless your "season" is fewer than 2 races.

:). Right now I will be very lucky to be able to afford one race let alone two. I bought mine when I had some extra cash so for me it's a mute point. But if we want our beloved conference to grow we need to keep regulations and rules to a bare minimum in order to keep costs down to make it more attractive than other sanctioning bodies. Hence the attractiveness to others such as ChumpCar, Lemons, (yes I know looks can be deceiving).

Good to know that there is a logical process that goes into deciding whether or not the will of folks who don't truly understand risk should be imposed over the free choice of others deemed too stupid to make decisions for themselves based on how much money you percieve they should spend per season ....

(from the comments made on this subject, you would never guess that I actually really like Steve think a lot of him as a person. Agree to disagree I guess, no offense buddy. I'm always glad that someone I raced against when I started still shows up occasionally! More racing, less chipping. I think that will be my last post on the subject.)

Oh, Ricky, there is clearly so much about this you don't understand, not least of which is my perspective on how much money someone "should" spend to go racing.

BETTER to be fitted for a HANS right in your car. Armadillo carry's them and can fit one in about 40 minutes including installing the parts.

P.S. Now that SIMPSON owns HANS yes there's a 'reguired' recert every 5 years so they can suck another $15 out of you.

Well said Rick. Issues involving freedom of choice, moral high ground, ignorance, emotions and economics often end up distorting risk analysis exercises. We see it everyday. And as such this issue will not be going away anytime soon. My advice (from the moral high ground of owning a HANS, and caring for my fellow man) is buy one if you don't already have one. That said there are any number of risks that we take at the race track that have a higher chance of going south.

The more important point is that only female jazz singers and NFL running backs can get away with being called Ricky. It just sounds silly when used to describe a pudgy, bald, middle aged white guy who is ever so slightly opinionated ...

I'm not advocating for or against Conference mandating a HANS type device for drivers. However it's worth noting that a driver was killed in May at a Porsche Club Drivers Skills/HPDE event at Spokane Raceway. From reading the cause of death it's likely he was not wearing a Hans device but I don't know for sure, but these are a classic description of the trauma that the Hans device protects against:

"SPOKANE COUNTY, May 21, 2019 - The Spokane County Medical Examiner has confirmed the identity and cause of death of the man who died at Sacred Heart Medical Center in Spokane, WA on May 14, 2019 as the result of an incident in the 700 block of N. Hayford Rd, in Airway Heights, WA on May 11, 2019

Name: Warren Rex Morgan
Cause of Death: Cerebral infarcts due to C1-C2 dislocation with bilateral vertebral artery dissections due to blunt impact - neck hyperextension.
Manner: Accident"

"President of Quincy fruit company killed in auto crash at Spokane County Raceway. QUINCY – The owner and president of Double Diamond Fruit in Quincy died suddenly earlier this month.

Warren R. Morgan, 60, was killed on May 16 in an auto crash at the Spokane County Raceway in Airway Heights."

Back