Olympus Rally 1986

I'm really confused here:confused: The quattro John was driving....(in these pictures above), is one of the most legendary Group B Cars of all time!:confused:

John had been driving a long wheel base Quattro before having this car. We didn't know it was driven by Mouton at Pikes Peak, for example. We were keyed on the championship battle between Peugot and Lancia. :)

What other history does your car have prior to Mouton driving it at Pikes Peak? Or was it purpose built to run at Pikes Peak?

John had been driving a long wheel base Quattro before having this car. We didn't know it was driven by Mouton at Pikes Peak, for example. We were keyed on the championship battle between Peugot and Lancia. :)

The long car JB was campaigning was also Group B.............As it was an A2

What other history does your car have prior to Mouton driving it at Pikes Peak? Or was it purpose built to run at Pikes Peak?

Before Pikes Peak, the car was driven by Walter Röhrl in 1985 on Corsica, retiring with a DNF.

Here is a picture of the car, as she looks in 2009........

Last edited:
O NOEZ LANS IZ FUNY

That is a killer shot of the car, though.

Hi Steve, I'm pleased you might look like you'll put up with my enthusiasm for Audi quattro's and my passion for the history of this particular car:)

Here's a period video of the car in action on Pikes Peak 1985, with Michele Mouton doing her very best by securing a new record (568,947 views to date)...........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKKfzR7dX-c

Last edited:
That current shot of the car is absolutely fantastic. A Group B car should look muscular and purposeful and serious like it could kill you at any second for looking at it wrong and that car looks the part. Great car, thanks for sharing.

Great shot. Shoot me an e-mail at Lance@Richertnet.com and I'll let you know off line if I can find other images of Buffum with your car. I think he competed in our area one other time earlier in the year, possibly in that car.

Did you see my post and pictures on the 1985 Olympus?

http://www.icscc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218&highlight=Olympus

Oh, and you'll notice Steve Adams is your biggest fan. :)

Hi Lance.........Good one!:) I've sent you an email - thanks!

That current shot of the car is absolutely fantastic. A Group B car should look muscular and purposeful and serious like it could kill you at any second for looking at it wrong and that car looks the part. Great car, thanks for sharing.

Wow- thanks Rick, glad you like the shot and I appreciate your comments.:D

Hey Guys, This is a really interesting thread.

I thought I'd register because I own the John Buffum Audi quattro which is shown in this thread. JB drove it on the 1986 Olympus Rally and the very same car was used by Michele Mouton to win Pikes Peak in 1985.

Does anyone on here, have more photos of this car, either on 1985 Pikes Peak, or The 1986 Olympus Rally, I wonder?

Kindest regards from the UK:)

Hi John,

Have you checked with the folks at www.specialstage.com ?
I bet you might find someone there who knows of the car.

Sorry for picking up this old topic...

I was just looking for Olympus details and found this forum.
Good to see old pictures of our Toyota Twin Cam Turbo. We own the car driven by Lars Eric Torph in 1986 and picked up some photos for our history page at www.rallye-engine.com

Hope you enjoy it. I was happy for these fntastic photos. Thank you!!!!

To see the complete restoration follow this link to our gallery with more than 500 pictures! ;-)

http://www.rallye-engine.com/index.php?option=com_phocagallery&view=category&id=2:celica&Itemid=54

The car looks now like this, just the stickers are missing. We will be ready for a historic rallye event mid oj July!

phoca_thumb_l_rallye-engine_com_0634.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Chris?

John here in the UK. Thanks for posting today.............that's a very interesting car you have, there!

Whereabouts in the world are you?

Hi John,
we live in the west of Germany ;) Near Cologne - the former Headquarter of TTE.
Rgds,
Christian

Excellent! A fabulous car, and such awesome power - it was competing against my own car in 1986!! In which, John Buffum finished in 3rd position.

What happened to Lars car?

Excellent! A fabulous car, and such awesome power - it was competing against my own car in 1986!! In which, John Buffum finished in 3rd position.

What happened to Lars car?

Hi John,
what do you mean by what happend to his car? It was years rotting in a corner as every old Gr. B ;) Now we started restoration and finished it in the first month of this year. We will start some historic events this year, e.g. Eifel Historic Rallye mid of July. We will beat against 15 other Group B monsters ;)
At end of July there is a historic event at a castle near Dusseldorf (Germany) we will also join.

Starting List Eifel Historic:
http://www.eifel-rallye.de/Starterliste.html

Kind Regards,
Christian

Hi John,
what do you mean by what happend to his car? It was years rotting in a corner as every old Gr. B ;) Now we started restoration and finished it in the first month of this year. We will start some historic events this year, e.g. Eifel Historic Rallye mid of July. We will beat against 15 other Group B monsters ;)
At end of July there is a historic event at a castle near Dusseldorf (Germany) we will also join.

Starting List Eifel Historic:
http://www.eifel-rallye.de/Starterliste.html

Kind Regards,
Christian

Hi Christian, I was asking about the result of the Rally! In which place did Lars finish?

Hello all,
I competed in Olympus with Ray Damitio as my co-driver in GpA Datsun 510. I have lots of old photos around here somewhere and a friend is converting all of our old VHS to DVDs currently. As impressive as the Audis and Lancias were..the service crews in the Toyota minivans were there real thrill. They didn't yield an inch of road to oncoming traffic and we ditch hooked a few times avoiding them.

Gene McCullough
Rally America Western Tech Supervisor

Back