Availability of auto propane in the PNW?

Hi All,

Contemplating a change in tow vehicles, and am wondering how the availibility is for auto propane south of the border? Particularly wondering about the Hwy 97 route through Wenatchee, over to I5, and points south.

Thanks

John

Well, I cannot really help. My ONLY comment is, I've never heard of "auto propane"? Is that simple progane used in autos?

If so, it's not a 'common' fuel to find at gas stations down here but, if ihe tank uses a 'standard' propane tank valve, you can find it at SOME gas stations and most Grange's (farm and animal supply stores).

But it's not like you drive down the street and see propane tanks on every corner.

I have never heard of "auto propane" either, but there must a close to a dozen places in the Longview Kelso area where it can be purchased, but beware. I tried to get a tank filled on the 4th of July weekend this year, and every single place in town was out of propane. Had to wait until the following week to get my tank filled.

Just thought of another...Amerigas Corp. Their w/s will give you locations. Not all have the ability to fill ASME
(auto). Suggest phoning locations along your route.

If your vehicle has a propane system instead of gas or desiel, any rv, or gas station, or propane distributor can fill
your tank just like you would for your rv or bbq. As long as it has a normal fill valve on it you should have no problem.

I am seeing a lot of gas stations in the NW that have propane for sell.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I may be confusing the issue when I said "auto propane", but it's advertised as such at some fill stations in BC, and it's usually located with gas/diesel pumps on the pump islands.
Im pretty sure the fill valves are common(at least what im looking at using) with what is used for portable tanks, because I've had both filled from the same pump previously.

Thanks again for the info.

John

I might be able to clear up some of the confusion/misconceptions about propane. Propane is a type of Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) along with Butane and Iso-butane. It is widely available throughout the US--mostly at gas stations but also at Propane suppliers and some convenience stores. "Vehicle Propane" is the same chemically as any other propane--like the kind you run your camp stove on--but you must have a way to get it into the vehicle fuel tank. Any gas station that sells propane can dispense propane into your vehicle fuel tank (via pressure increasing pump)--you just can't go to the hardware store and buy a cylinder for your barbeque and expect that you will somehow be able to pour it into your vehicle fuel tank. The State of Washington charges a substantial tax for diesel, gasoline and, yes, propane. If you have a propane powered vehicle, and purchase the special tax stamp thingie, you pay an annual tax instead of a per gallon tax. However this only works if you are able to find a dealer (few and far between) that understands the tax stamp thingie. Most local gas stations don't so you will have to pay full price. But propane is propane whether you buy "regular" propane or "vehicle" propane. Now here is where it gets interesting. Propane is a bi product of manufacturing gasoline. So the supply is gasoline driven. Propane is mostly used for heating. Gasoline sales drop in the cold months so propane costs go up. In the summer when gasoline demand increases, therefore so does the propane supply and so the propane price goes down. Soooo--combined with propane being 120 octane--it could be a great tow vehicle fuel. In the summer it is usually about $2.50 per gallon. It gets the same rough mileage as the same gasoline vehicle. You can have a system that allows the vehicle to run on propane or gasoline at the flip of a switch. It would be an ideal conversion for an older (carburated) vehicle. Have no idea about fuel injected vehicles.

You can have a system that allows the vehicle to run on propane or gasoline at the flip of a switch. It would be an ideal conversion for an older (carburated) vehicle

Thats exactly what I currently have, but I was contemplating going full propane/low boost turbo, but now, after reading the replies here and speaking with Bob W., I'll most likely be keeping the dual fuel setup and concentrate on improving airflow in/out of the engine.

Again, many thanks, guys.

Cheers'

John

Back