Why everyone thinks O.W. drivers are crazy!!!

Yep, that pretty much says it. I've seen a formula car get launched high enough that I was looking up at it as it flew past the turn one tower at PIR. I would love to drive one, but not in traffic. Too strong an instinct for self preservation.

Just a little crazy and I agree with Ken regarding motorcycle road racers. It is amazing how intact the car was. There seemed to be minimal frame damage.

Tim Bland
Anson SA4

I dunno about minimal frame damage :) but videos like this are what gave me the confidence to drive an open wheel car. Impressive how big a crash you can have with minimal injuries.

Driving an open wheel car is certainly a steeper and slower learning curve. It takes a while to trust yourself to drive close to another car, and to figure out who it's safe to do so with. You don't have to be banging wheels left and right in your first race. That's what spec miata is for! :p

This is why fender guys think we, the O.W. guys, are a little crazy.

HEY, J.C. DON'T you go looking on the Internet for new things to try with that FF :) :)

BTW.. did you notice he comes into the frame ALREADY going backwards and in the air!!

...... There seemed to be minimal frame damage......

With a couple of "TICS" here and there he spent most of the time in the air..... YIKES!

Took off 2 corners and most certainly damaged the other two. No real impact on the frame.

Last edited:
>>BTW.. did you notice he comes into the frame ALREADY going backwards and in the air!!<<

Yep! ..................... a good knowledge of aerodynamics and a pilot's license always helps in some situations. Not a very good landing, however.

............................ the "FF" in his case, .................. stands for "flying formula"

>>BTW.. did you notice he comes into the frame ALREADY going backwards and in the air!!<<

Yep! ..................... a good knowledge of aerodynamics and a pilot's license always helps in some situations. Not a very good landing, however.

............................ the "FF" in his case, .................. stands for "flying formula"

What's the saying about landings? Any landing you can walk away from.....

I saw no one walk away that didn't walk up to it. No box, no driver okey-dokey. Nothing that happened after they picked the car onto its(') side and then it's being hauled away with the fork crane with the blinky light.

BTW, that blinky light was moving to the split before the car stopped.

Last edited:
>>What's the saying about landings? Any landing you can walk away from..... <<

............................ about take offs and landings:

1. A "good" landing is defined with being able to walk away from the airplane.

2. A "great" landing is simply when you can use the airplane again on the same day.

3. The take off is optional, ..................... the landing is mandatory. No options there.

These rules don't apply to race cars that become airborne and loose numerous components when they return to earth.

Last edited:
Thanks, Wes. I'll go with that.

One of my favorite quotes from Graham Hill explaining why he remained motionless in his car for several moments after a 1966 crash while qualifying at Indy--

"Well, when one is involved in a motor racing accident, and one hears tremendous noise and crashing and smell of rubber and fuel, one must be very careful, for the silence at the end can be tricky. It may mean that you're airborne."

Those days of the "Barnstorming" automobile road racers. When sportmanship, chivalry, and honor were as important as the win.

graham-hill-indianapolis.jpg

Graham showing the stewards how he feels after their attempt to take one of his two wins at Indianapolis

airborne racers.jpg

BRM teammates Jackie Stewart and Graham Hill achieving liftoff (at the "Ring") in 1966​

Joey Hand's story about the experience (a race or two later) was pretty funny. He kept talking about "grass, then sky, then grass, then sky, then grass..." He said he lost his right glove and left shoe in the event and neither were ever seen again. He said the only time he really got scared (REALLY scared) was sitting in the wreck after and being covered in gasoline... then the safety workers ripped all his clothes off because of the fire risk and doused him in COLD water. That was the second worst part of the wreck. :D

Mr. Roberts is quite succinct in his assesment...

Actually it is more of a ballet in OW, with no fenders to rely on and very little margin for error. If you touch, bad things can happen, so you develop a finer degree of survival while on track... I prefer Coke myself, but only diet.

Mr. Roberts is quite succinct in his assesment...

Actually it is more of a ballet in OW, with no fenders to rely on and very little margin for error. If you touch, bad things can happen, so you develop a finer degree of survival while on track... I prefer Coke myself, but only diet.

Wes:

I know what you are up to..........................

By using words such as "succinct", you are trying to baffle all of us, "legal" and "illegal" immigrants and keep us from participating in this forum. :wink:

The word "succinct" has a very defined Latin derivation. In my native land we studied Latin in order to learn other languages. Most languages, including English, have a fundamental Latin derivation.

Succinctus, is the Latin word for succinct. It implies concise and often terse expression.

When inserting "Diet Coke" and "ballet" in this conversation, with or without a tutu, the adjective sardonic would best define the inference or assessment of Trout's comment.

Mr. Roberts comment simply described the "rush" or "pleasure", in a comparative basis, derived from racing different types of race cars.

BTW, I learned this in my "English as a third or fourth language" classes in parochial schools and ..................... without any tax payers money. LOL :biggrin::tongue::biggrin:

............................... Diet Coke?

Last edited:
Uh, okay, then you replied in a sardonic mood dressed in a tutu, and apparently you derived a rush from this pleasurable response, which frightens me more than a little...
Oh, BTW, Mr. Trout has never driven various types of race cars. He is OW thru and thru...

Guys, guys, please tone it down.. Keep it inclusive for us lowly illegal European-public-school-educated members! I can't understand half of what you're saying. Tutu? Parochial? Tax? Money? Sheesh, what are you talking about?!

Back