Specmiata, Pro 3, now comes spec robin?

What fun to drive cars are out there that can be had cheap due to there being lots of them? That will be the next spec car class. At one time, that car was Datsun 240Z, then came Rabbits, these days its Spec Miata and Pro3. So look around and find what ever is very common but fun to drive and that is a likely candidate.

What's the next spec class? Good question.

Mazda and Honda are working with the SCCA to get the "B-Spec" class going. These are the small, economical B-spec cars such as the Mazda2, Honda Fit, Ford Fiesta, Nissan Versa, Chevy Cruze, Fiat 500, etc.

In 2012, they'll run in SSC and should have their own SCCA class (B-Spec) by 2013.

Time will tell if the class takes off. As the cars are newish, they're not cheap by club racing standards.

My daily driver is a 2011 Mazda2. It's a blast to drive, even if it has maybe 95 hp at the front wheels (on a good day).

Last edited:
You'd think anything that rolled over that easily would require window nets. I noticed some drivers weren't even wearing gloves.

I'm also interested to see how this thing turns out. I have seen some ads recently and is to be launched in December. Of course they say it is affordable and cost effective to run but without any real pricing guidance. Still looks like a fun little ride... turbo Ecotec 4 placed amidships with RWD and 300hp in sprint trim, with a secondary 225hp endurance ECU.

http://www.999motorsports.com/en/the-supersport.php

Conference-wise speaking, They look more the like of a Spec Sports Racer (nice addition to Grp 6), as with the spirit of the Legends. But I suppose there must be some number of units to produce before considering them a production car.

I like 'em.

Eric, I agree, that's a pretty cool race car. Still, I would expect it to be kind of pricey. Perhaps comparable to the newer sports racers such as the Radical, etc.

But getting back to cheaper spec series cars, NASA did try with Spec Focus and SE-R Cup (90's-era Nissan SE-Rs) but they never took off. Not sure why. The Focus is cheap, readily available, and has decent performance. Maybe it wasn't sexy enough? I think a successful spec series needs a strong advocate and sponsorship.

On a side note, I remember having a conversation with a Spec Focus racer back in Socal about 4 years ago. He was trying to convince me that Spec Miata was dying and that Spec Focus was the new thing. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I know it is a pipe dream for it to truly be cheap enough for me to get one.

On the SM front the car counts definitely have decreased but that can be the result of many things beyond class desirability. The Spec B seems interesting and they had a really nicely prepped one at the Thunderhill 25 hour last year. For what it would cost you to race that you can go faster for less money in a 944 or PRO3 though, so to me personally it would be a tough sell.

For me personally it would have to be RWD... not really interested in FWD race cars. How about spec C5/C6 Vette?

Last edited:
C5 Vette I see creeping into light more and more... especially with the slightly larger starter wallets, but guys who typically wouldn't drive a German car.

We certainly see with NASA (944Spec) and 44Cup (EastCoast 944's) the fields are starting to get really big. In just two years racing them I really have to admit they are a ton of fun to drive..especially across classes.

The "spec" class will always be hard to predict, but to me it's all about having a car that can mix it up competitively with any car in the run group.

Although that spec car looks cool, it's just not as easy to buy a "parts" car to keep surviving. Maybe that's because I'm speaking from needed experience in that aspect.

Got the email back on that 999 Supersport... starts at $67,500. Guess affordable is a relative term :wink: I could have a fleet of 44's for that price.

R53 MINI Coopers...that's one I'd like to see as the prices on these begin to drop. They are a popular track day car and a blast to drive with lot's of quality aftermarket performance options. MINI Challenge racing is popular overseas. Problem right now is they get classed with much faster cars...in their own class or a different class they would be a hoot.

Back