Cascade 8 Hour Enduro - October 15 - Portland - Why I Am In!

Bill Bonsell

I am a newbie to racing - this is only my 2nd year and I collect social security. I love to race as we all do. I love the entire weekend, all of it...on track and off. So, for me, the season ends way too soon. Last April I entered the 4 hour enduro at Pacific. My motor is original to the car - 126,00 miles. Our team had a great time and even with some issues (non mechanical) we finished 2nd in class out of 5. The car performed extremely well and we all got a nice stint behind the wheel. Even with the iffy weather it was a great experience. And very easy in the L3 class we were in. Fill it up with 10 gallons, go drive for about 80 mins or so, do a driver change and refuel with another 10 gallons and then go back out and take the checker flag after 4 hours. Easy - cheesy.
Now running 8 hours takes a bit more fuel and a lot more luck and a bit more preparation, but what's not to like. Arrive Friday night or Saturday morning....do some warm up sessions and wait for the 1pm green flag. The toughest part is just making sure you have sufficient lighting for the 2-3 hours or so which will be run in the dark. In car communications is great, but we managed the 4 hours without. I just put a clock in the car and every driver knew to go 80 minutes and then pit for fuel, etc. You do not need to have a dedicated enduro car to enter. That's why they have a limited class.
Mechanical issues can always surface, but hey that's racing. And keep in mind that you can't win an enduro unless you finish, and it is certainly not a 30 minute sprint race, so you can dial it back a bit...short shift...double clutch if necessary. Save the car. If the engine goes, well...it was probably going away soon, anyways. . At least one has the whole winter to rebuild. If you truly look at the enduro and estimate known costs of registration, fuel, etc; when divided among drivers, it's a pretty good "bang for the buck".
I would encourage any Conference racer to give serious thought to entering this truly last event of the year! You will not be disappointed regardless of where you finish. :smile:

Bill-

i got the enduro bug back in 2008 helping out more expensive car then my own in the 8 and 25hr, i had so much fun that ive now done a couple 6 hr a 12hr and a 25 hour race and I am planing on doing the 8hr and 25hr (nasa) this year, im not sure there is another enduro car that has a smaller fuel tank then we do, only 12gals so we stick to the limited classes. last year at the 25 hour race which we were down there for almost a week some of the guys said that it was cheaper then running there own car on a sprint race weekend

I agree with Bill and Eric. My experiance with Enduro racing was terrific. I did my first Enduro in April of this year at our IRDC 4-Hour Enduro at Pacific Raceways. Building our team (Team Mazda Madness) was half the fun. It was great to have your racing buddies on the same team instead of always racing against them. Also, it was nice to really experiance the race strategy involved that you really can't get in sprint racing. As with Bill and Eric, we entered my Miata in the Limited Class. The rules really are suited to allow newcomers to easily experiance this type of racing. If you are on the fence about trying this, my recommendation is to give it a try. There is a reason you don't meet too many people that do just one (1) Enduro in their racing career. Team Mazda Madness is entered in the upcoming Cascade Enduro and we look forward to racing with Bill, Eric, and the other entries.

I be bumping this....come on guys....racing ain't over till all the events are concluded! And this is the last one. Limited class needs more entries. Does Team - Two and a Half Men Racing need to host the after race beer fest??

Bill-

Instead of starting a new thread I thought I would post it here...I've got a seat open for the 8 hour and looking for our 3rd driver. If you or someone you know is interested give me an email @ michael.adams00 at gmail or throw me a message on here.

If we don't get a 3rd driver well it's 4 hours a piece for us...besides someone has to give the DB Motorsports team a run for their 1st place trophy!

L3 here we come!

Could that be a 944 in the enduro?!

I would be driving something in Portland but have a schedule conflict with the Porsche Rennsport Reunion at Laguna.

For those who haven't tried it the enduros are very fun and I certainly have the bug after driving in a few. It's great seat time and a ton of fun. It can even be quite affordable in a Limited car. Looking forward to Thunderhill again this year with Bloising Saddles Racing!

Instead of starting a new thread I thought I would post it here...I've got a seat open for the 8 hour and looking for our 3rd driver. If you or someone you know is interested give me an email @ michael.adams00 at gmail or throw me a message on here.

If we don't get a 3rd driver well it's 4 hours a piece for us...besides someone has to give the DB Motorsports team a run for their 1st place trophy!

L3 here we come!

Awesome Mike...but if you are running the 944 you will be a Limited 2 car....but, hey it will still be a blast rain or shine. Let's get those entry numbers up. Would love to have you in L3 if you get the right car.......

Bill-

Yeah bill you are right... I was all excited reading your post and losing my mind at the same time. We're actually going E2 for a few reasons... just a short list of to-do's before we arrive Saturday.

20 entries.

Last year, the Race Chairman told me that if we could get 20 entries we could afford to run with two lift tows instead of one. We didn't, but this is another year, and maybe Chief Trunk Monkey will be luckier.

So get those teams together. The more entries CSCC gets, the better they can afford to provide 'hot track' recovery for those 'less prepared' teams.

21 entries? Come on guys. Don't tell me youré all going to play at the overcrowded Chump Car event? One week to go to the 8 Hours of the Cascades.

21 entries? Come on guys. Don't tell me youré all going to play at the overcrowded Chump Car event? One week to go to the 8 Hours of the Cascades.

+1

Two ICSCC drivers are coming in from Charlotte, NC for this AWESOME event (my son, and I)... You'd think some more Pac NW'ers could do the same!!

Come join the fun!

:)

21 is more then last year, and almost every class has at least 2 entries, we need another sports racer. maybe next year we can tell the No. Cal. guys (nasa) that run enduros that we have a race they could enter.

Eric, as a former NASA norcaler, the issue was 8 hours always seemed to fall around a date in the werc series, and on a limited budget there was concern about burning the car down before the 25.
I always wanted to do it, maybe next year...

the last 2 years and this year i planing on doing both and in my mind a whole month plus 15 days is plenty of time to go over/ freshen up the car for the 25. depending on how much you do i guess the faster cars for the overall might have a hard time, last year my car had the slowest fastest lap at the 25 finished 10 of 22 in class and 26th overall. not bad for not having the right tires for the dry. this year we will be a lot faster lol, with rigth tires and a good suspension.

Really looking forward to this event as always! Hopefully next year I'll drive!

Bill, is your "half" man robert, or dave?

Really looking forward to this event as always! Hopefully next year I'll drive!

Bill, is your "half" man robert, or dave?

Kyle...it is Robert as the 1/2 man, but he and Shawn actually came up with the team name. Come on by and hang out if you have some time.

Lower that temp by 10 degrees and mix in a 50% chance of moisture. But what the heck. It is October and it is the Enduro. Got to keep it interesting.

Back