Gentlemen, start your excuses!

Mark - you are a part of our family for better or worse. I'm not taking sides - I'm just trusting the process.

What kind of shape is your car in? I can put together a group that would help get it back in shape if you need it. We would love to have you back if you still have the fire in your belly for it. Don't let one incident, however regrettable, take you away if you are really committed to racing.

Contact me offline if it is more comfortable.

Thanks to the Stewards for all the hours you guys have put into last weekends race, I sure hope ORP goes smooth for you. All of us in the "naughty" groups should
at least come up with something for the Stewards for their extra hours and stress?? Maybe we call all talk about it in Portland at the next race ??
ooh and one more thing..... now that the results are posted, will there be T shirts or something for all of us that survived Pacific Mayhem ?? perhaps, " I survived group 2 race & bash 2011 " ??? lol...

Last edited:
Well, the decisions have been published.

#70 was disqualified; apparently nothing more for the most depraved driving I've ever seen (or hope to see). And the guy who punted me, having been docked a lap in the previous race for punting another guy, was again only docked a lap, despite showing no learning from the first episode.
If you disagree with those decisions, Mark, why wouldn't you use the official mechanisms at your disposal to challenge them? Bleating about them on the forum isn't very sportsmanlike. Check out Section 10 of your rulebook.

Note also that the race results don't have room for all the possible penalties. Drivers get suspended, put on probation, fined points or money, or worse -- and that ends up in the Penalty Box column in the memo (and in a paperwork trail with ICSCC World Headquarters). Usually the Penalty Box doesn't come out for a couple weeks -- maybe even six! -- after the race ends. As such, not all of the decisions have been published.

In the meantime, the steward is doing a ton of work -- calling people, reading emails, converting video files, researching rules and penalty history, and so on -- to try to come up with an equitable solution.

Equity is really important. While you think you'll quit because you don't feel safe, there are lots of other people who would quit racing if they thought the steward was unforgiving and overly aggressive in enforcing penalties after contact. Lots of people won't want to race when some mistakes aren't absorbed.

This ancient text is passed down from Steward to Steward in some secretively obscure ceremony performed in the dark, dank, smoke filled halls, or a back room some place.
Not exactly. The binder is exchanged out in the open, at the track. The ceremony isn't obscure at all. The donor says "Hey, I forgot to give this to you last weekend," and the recipient says "Thanks, I was going to ask about that."

I like my version better. A misty vail of mystery surrounding some dramatic intrigue. Picturing the outgoing Stews lined up with the incoming, filing into the room wearing robes with tall pointy hoods. All en-mass step, vaguely chanting ancient runes, and slapping themselves in the forehead with a rolled up copy of the Regulation at the left step, and the PPM at the right.

Maybe it was just part of a movie that where I fell asleep, and THAT'S what the forum is for (too).

FWIW

This whole thread has saddened me, as did the situations that caused it. But again, it's kind of like a train wreck, I keep coming back to look.

I just read a news piece about the Indy 500 and the procedure set for restarts. At the end of it, Brian Barnhart says this:

"They have the steering wheel, they have the gas pedal, they have the brake pedal and they’re going to make decisions based on proximity of other cars, traffic and other choices. That’s all part of being a race driver."

And I guess that's the bottom line for our series too - I hope wiser choices are made all round as we move forward.

Back