Frequency on Racing Radios?

colin_koehler

Great SCOTT!
So I bought a used set of racing radios during the off season and I've installed it all in my car, tested it and it all works according to plan. However, I would like to know what my frequencies are as they were not provided by the seller.

Under the battery of one of my radios is little exposed area with a chip with a little sticker on it with 2 numbers: "5237 and 5927". I want to assume this means my frequencies are:

(these are 2 channel Motorola SP50 Radius radios)

Any insights? I would like to know for sure. Also, doesn't Frank Dimiceli need this information for the enduro?

Thank you.

I'm pretty sure that's not what those stickers mean.

SP50 is software programmable (one of the first), and unless you have the software, or the last person to program it left a specific frequency on a label, I don't think you can depend on those numbers. First look at the Model number. if is starts with a P93 (~150 MHz somethings) it is a VHF handheld (portable), or a P94 is programmable for UHF frequencies (usually ~450-470MHz).

Someone standing near you with a programmable scanner could monitor as you keyed up and that would at least tell you the modulating frequency. Still to find the squelch code you may have to get it on the computer.

Just for further information be aware that the SP50, unless it has been modified on a bench ($50-$60, I heard) will not have the 12.5kHz split (between frequencies). They are hardwired for 25kHz which will be non-compliant with FCC either at the end of this year or next. Check that with your local radio repair representative.

Okay, Dave. What did I miss?

Good luck.

Colin Ken is right on about the model to freq range of the radio. I hope you did not spend very much for these, as they are not and can not be modifityed to work on the FCC mandadated freq size of 12.5kc at the end of next year. As for finding out what the current freq is, I will be at the enduro and I will have some test equip with me and can get the info.

Remember folks, I deal in radios and am a local supporter of all you racers and a member of SCCA, (27yrs) CSCC (worker for 10yr, member for 3rys) and a member of TC. and a honor member of Spokane.

Contact me for your needs/wants. tx See you Sunday.

Well if I can make it until the end of 2012 with these then I got a good deal. I spent $500 and I got:

3 Crew headsets and wiring to the radio
3 Motorola SP50 radios with chargers
1 External antenna for the race car
2 sets of foam tip earbuds (which I converted to custom ear buds for $30)
3 different wiring setups for in-car wiring which did the trick.
1 Helmet microphone setup with noise canceling mic

Even if I only get 2 seasons on those SP50's... the rest of it was money well spent!

Radio Dave: I don't know what you look like so if I don't find you, will find try to find me? I will be instructing on Saturday and running the instructor group in my CRX along with running the Enduro on Sunday. Thank you for your help guys!

Last edited:
Current frequency is 25kz size. (think two lane road one direction) end of 2010 mandentory to go to 12.5kz, (narrow band, think ONE lane road)

Wes age is not racest just how it is

Back