The Way It Was.... deadly

Richard Broadhead

Flag & Com
Here's a posting of a BBC documentary on F1 racing in the '60's and '70's concerning how many deaths were occuring and what was done about it. Lead by Sir Jackie of course.

It really was a 'bad time'. You'd open Autoweek (no TV from Europe then) and read about your favorite F1 driver and how he did in the race 2 weeks ago. The next week you'd open Autoweek and read about how and where he died. We were losing 4 to 6 drivers a year. As Jackie points out, 2 out of 3 GP drivers would die racing.

ALL race car drivers of today (amateur and professional) owe a lot to those who gave all before the sport was made safer.

There are several particularly grim scenes in this documentary... part 4... be prepared or don't watch. In particular, the death of Roger Williamson (many thought destined to be an F1 Champion) at Zandvoort just after it was rebuilt to be the 1st of the 'new and safe' GP circuits. To watch David Purleys frustrating efforts attempting to save Williamson is both tragic and heart breaking to the point of bringing tears to the eyes. Will make you appreciate (even more) the fine work of OUR (ICSCC) safety and corner workers when you see the Zandvoort staff standing there watching Purley and doing nothing.

INDIVIDUAL LINKS TO MAKE IT EASIER:

PART 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy7gmd8XXAA

PART 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBTMEyvhR_w&feature=related

PART 3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxGaejdBb4M&feature=related

PART 4:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT8c5yfjR7w&feature=related

Last edited:
I like Safety. Safety is good. When I was just getting my feet (and the rest of me) wet while putting in much time on turn stations, some of the 'vets' had the Havoc Series of "Reality" racing video.

Of course, I'm all for freedom of choice, and now that I've brought it up, I would beg to question.

By providing my form of participation (Safety Marshal) to our great sport, am I not actually enabling those many other individuals that would provide their form of participation (driving) to our great sport?

If those other participants' decisions result in catastophy, where should my moral perspective put emphasis? Is there really nothing that I could have done to prevent it? If there was something that I could have done that 'may' have prevented it, would I have been allowed to?

I'm kind of a 'put the fire out, then ask questions' kinda guy.

Thanks Richard. I needed that.

Good series thus far...can't seem to find parts 3 and 4 though. Searched around YouTube and the interwebs but came up short. Anyone have the direct link to either part? BBC is not rebroadcasting it any longer.

Thank you for posting this, what a great video. I wonder if it'll do anything for the people who do not want HNR devices to be made mandatory?

Ken - Don't overthink it. Things have thankfully progressed enough that I truly believe our sport is incredibly safe, all things considered. We are glad to have dedicated and knowledgeable volunteers that take very good care of us, but I'm sure that if we didn't, some of us would find ways to keep on racing - just not safely. So think of the lives you're saving just by showing up!

It must be an iPad thing. Still can't get the other two parts to come up. This happens occasionally; I'll load 'em up on the PC tomorrow.

Thanks for sharing!

"Don't over think it." Far too late for that, I'm afraid. It has already been over thought, and thought over hundreds of times. But I'd like to consider the notion that others consider those realities from their own perspectives. Their decisions will affect the lives of those of us that care.

I have no doubt that, were it not for organized events, many would again wrap themselves around these same activities in a more regulatorily relaxed form. If they could find a place to go. Hopefully that is all that they might wrap themselves around. It was a need for organization that generated racing as a sport in the first place.

But today, and here at the amateur levels we find that the organizers, more than the participants are put in the chair of responsibility but for the consequences of those same regulations, and that the daring-do essence of modern motorsports has been made to evolve within those liabilities.

It is within that respect that we struggle for balance while attempting to make a concept such is safety a perceptibly tangible entity.

Just mulling it over.

Last edited:
Back