Final hurdle for new Shelton race track, your support needed

Randy Blaylock

Highlander Motorsports
After a decade of dreaming and nearly three years of work, we find ourselves at the final step in the administrative approval process to build the first new motorsports park facility in the Greater Puget Sound region in a generation.

The final step is the "Special Use Permit" hearing, which will be held at the Mason County Commissioners chambers on Wednesday April 6th, at 10:00 am.

The hearing is a public meeting, where the Special Use Permit Examiner will receive testimony related to the permit application. The Special Use Permit will define the operating parameters of the business, things like operating hours, days of the week, sound limits, and other things related to operating a motorsports facility. The Examiner has ten days following the hearing to submit the ruling that will set the operating conditions.

Every other hurdle has been overcome, this is the final step. Given a favorable set of operating conditions, construction will begin immediately and it is projected that we will be running test laps this fall and holding races in 2012. The initial project build includes a full road course and drag strip, each completely separated and having their own dedicated paddock areas.

Your support at this meeting will make a difference. This is a very real opportunity to help get this project over the finish line and ensure that you have a place to race in the future. This project is built specifically for amateur racers by amateur racers, so your voice matters. All user groups have been asked to show their support; ICSCC, SCCA, local karting sanctions, motorcycle road racing, car clubs, drag racers, etc...

Please consider attending the hearing to show your support, and bring as many people with you as you can. To bring the point home and demostrate to the "powers that be" the positive economic impact that this business will bring to their community, please consider having a meal at a local businesses and mention your reason for being there, before returning home.

Ridge Motorsports Park Special Use Permit hearing
Wednesday April 6th, 2011
Mason County Commission chambers
411 North Fifth St.
Shelton, WA 98584

Would they limit the hours of operation? I'd love to see the ability to run 24 hours, WHAT A RACE that would be!!

Enduros are most definitely part of the business model, and that operating requirement will be included in the special use permit application.

I have already taking the day off. I will be there for sure. Lets get breakfast some place and show them we mean business.

Here are some renderings.

This is the end of the back straight, looking east. Here we are turning down the hill at the western end of the circuit. Notice a slight rise before the turn, which should be enough to create a blind crest, followed by a sharp turn that goes down a steep hill. Think "corkscrew"... Road course paddock below, along with drag strip. There is no combination of facilities, the road course and the drag strip will each have their own dedicated paddock areas, and will not share any surface, enabling both to run at the same time.
Back_straight_view.jpg

Here is a view backing up from the previous spot and looking towards the corner. That hillside drop is almost 80 feet;
Back_straight_view_2.jpg

Here is a view showing more of the circuit, pulling back a bit more for a wider perspective;
Overhead_back_straight.jpg

Here's a closer view of the turn station, note other parts of the circuit in the distance;
Corner_worker_overhead.jpg

This is an overhead view of the western half of the circuit. The main circuit can be split into two separate smaller circuits that can be run concurrently, or combined for one longer version;
Overhead_short_circuit.jpg

Last edited:
I like it!! And with a push for a new Bremerton Facility taking shape, road racing and other car activities will be well served for decades to come.

The group that manages BMP is intending to build a dedicated circuit. They don't have any funding lined up yet, so far as I know.

Just found the following in the latest message from Armadillo Andy:
Two weeks ago the Kitsap Sun newspaper had a front page story showing the layout of the new proposed racetrack in Kitsap County. The facility off Hwy 3 across from the main entrance to the airport will sport a drag strip, go-kart track, motocross track as well as a road course. The track is being promoted by the Bremerton Motorsports Park (BMP) non-profit group that currently manages the Bremerton race track and many of whom are friends of mine. Good luck to them, they are hoping for a permit by August and then seek to raise $16 million dollars.

Apparently a software glitch, let me give it a try, one per post.

This the straight along the top of the Ridge

Attachments

• Back straight view 2 resized.jpg
    Back straight view 2 resized.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 258
OK. let my try one a bit larger than a postage stamp

Attachments

• Back straight view 2 track f resize 2.jpg
    Back straight view 2 track f resize 2.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 261
Back