Group 3 and 6 increase participation

Lance

Thanks for the clarification. And great news about the growth of the class in Portland and BC. We should all work towards having the problem of a nearly over subscribed group like at PR (I call it "the problems of the rich", lol).

I apologize for putting the "own group words" in your mouth, just used it to get the point across that we can combine 3/6 at under subscribed races without losing some of the combined entry options that have helped other classes grow. For that matter we could also have the option of combining 3/6 when under subscribed and distributing the time across 6 groups instead of 7, or having another novice session, or just having a shorter day and giving the turn workers a break. Flexibility, local control and preserving the tools to rebuild 3/6.........oops I think I might have dropped my political leanings on the floor, excuse me while I pick them up.

By the way if there are any 3/6 folks out there thinking about having a fresh ford motor to start the season I have heard a rumour that the line has suddenly gotten a lot longer over the last month to get one done....... I do not know if this is an indication of more local entries say like in 2008 before disposable cash actually got disposed of, but it would seem to be a positive indication.

Greg,

Some times we hit our marks... sometime they hit us. Goes for re-marks as well, I suppose.

I had to go back and look, but did you leave out an 'e'?

Speaking in my offical capacity for IRDC I can say a couple of things that maybe most people are not aware of -

1) Pro3 is organized so well and has such an efficient communication system among it's participants that IRDC has always been able to contact one of their clearly defined "leaders" whenever we need something. They are always a viable target for a special race group because with one e-mail I can generally get a response that says - "yes, we can be sure that you get 25+ cars for your special race group to make sure it is a success." They are good citizens as well - even though they could easily provide the numbers to take EVERY special race group and insure that they will be a success, they encourage us to spread them around to other groups so it doesn't look like they are getting special treatment and will even help us find or encourage other types of cars that they aren't even associated with. We had a special race that we had tried to get another group into that fell through two weeks before the race. One e-mail and they had lined up their members to step in and support us when we needed it - and they had that answer in 48 hours! When we need a contribution for the workers? Pro3, no questions asked. When we are short on instructors? Pro3, no questions asked. If all of our classes took their racing to the next level and made it about the whole experience and not just racing each other on track, Conference would be even more special than it is now! Our Ground Pounder Driver's Association strives to be a very similarly structured organization with charismatic leaders, good communication, and a desire for racing to be about more than just the minutes on the track. Although those are pretty good too!

2) Something really important that pretty much everyone overlooks. Pro3 has never asked for their own group. Their leadership has actually asked for exactly the opposite in the past. They like being the guys in the white hats and don't want to be percieved in any way as being detrimental to anyone elses racing experience. We've talked about this for years and they have always said that the public perception downside was something they would really like to avoid. What Conference really wanted to do if they have to consolidate 3 and 6 permanently is use that group to bring in cars that don't currently run with us at all! The way to best use underutilized time is not to redistribute the entries that you already have, but to fill it with NEW entries!

In the end they will probably be forced into using it to house Pro3 because frankly they have gotten too large to do anything else. It won't be a single class run group - Conference doesn't do that. The Stewards and the E-Board will look at all the classes and try to balance the numbers out by taking certain classes and shifting them around to different groups taking into consideration second classings and speed potential, etc.

Another little ramble about my own experience. I drive one of those Stock Cars in Group 1 and Group 4 and I would have to say it is nearly a perfect mix. In Group 1 I get the "Rolex Daytona" experience of mixed class racing - track crowded with a mix of really fast and not so fast cars so that the racecraft of working traffic is important and developed. As I've said before, with just a few exceptions, the respect shown between the 30+ Pro3 cars and us fast movers has done nothing but grow our respect for each other rather than the opposite. Qualifying really means something in Group 1 becasue if you make a mistake and don't get a time that is in front of all the Pro3 cars, even with my superior cornering grip AND huge straightline speed advantage, by the time I pass 8 or 10 Pro3 cars the guys in my class have checked out never to be seen again! Then I get to run Group 4 which is a lot less crowded and gives the fast cars more of a chance to race against each flat out other rather than working traffic. The two groups really compliment each other, and I wish everybody had that kind of opportunity.

As to the mechanism of rules changes and restructuring, I would be happy to help any group make a rules proposal and prepare it for the Conference rules process. It's not overly dificult, but I can give you a straightforward description of exactly what you need to do and how you are most likely to succeed in getting your prospective rule passed. I can assure you that I would give you the best possible information regardless of my personal feelings on the topic becasue it is the membership as a whole that decides whether your proposal has merit and I have one vote the same as everyone else with a license.

Last edited:
Ken

Well said

on board, as on board the bus headed in the same general direction, one big happy group

With face to face communication these missed marks can be cleared up by asking a quick question (like you just did) or just re-stating what was said in your own words to clarify understanding.

Such as " do I understand you to say that you are unhappy with the present E Board and want to replace them?"

"No what I meant was we have to get everyone on board, all of the stake holders, including the E Board members as suggested."

In person to person communication it's a technique called active listening, taught in every management course I have ever taken. A bit harder to do on a forum but not impossible. I reckon.

Well got to go run 5 miles since every 8.2 lbs I lose translates to a 1 hp gain on the track (the cheapest speed I can get).

Cheers

Greg

Well perhaps I have returned the favor! At any particular BBQ at Pacific Raceways there is about a 50/50 chance that Albert the sound guy cooked it because he has always been wiling to jump right in and help with a smile on his face. Maybe 25% of the time - it's me that ends up with the smoky cologne and moderate coating of hamburger grease!

Thanks for your contribution - I'm always grateful to those who volunteer!

[snip]
if they have to consolidate 3 and 6 permanently
[snip]

When you say "permanently," I'm assuming you mean "until such time as OW numbers once again necessitate a second run group." Nothing in Conference is ever permanent... although sometimes, with some people, it can certainly seem that way! :D

Exactly - I was just drawing the contrast between the case by case combination at the venue that the Stewards could potentially do, which is too late to reallocate the time to better use, and combining them prior to the start of a season so the actual schedule could be revised.

Good point Steve - thanks.

Kind words, Rick. Thanks for that. You and Dan pretty much summed up the PRO3 ideals there.

We are all witness to two groups that have many of the same attributes that have made PRO3 successful: ST as a class, and the Ground Pounders Drivers Association. Both of these groups are well organized, have a central communication point, and generally want to hang out together. They also share the common goal of growing their groups within Conference for the sole intent of increasing race attendance which makes for a more enjoyable race experience for everyone.

It goes beyond racing too. In all three group examples, you will find that, in general, the members of these groups are active within Conference to one extent or another. I believe there is a strong correlation here. Activity of the individuals will translate to increased activity of the collective.

And to Rick's point, it is better for Conference that we attract additional entries who may not already be represented within Conference to fill up our run groups. So, how does OW do that? Well, it seems that with the long and storied past of OW in the Northwest, there must be a central point of communication (Apex forum?) A well organized (or at least the capability) group of folks who could be ready to race? That is the vein to tap into. Easily said, I realize...

The reality is that OW has all these same elements or pieces; someone just needs to put them together. I credit Wes T and Bruce B for working this angle. Speaking of such things, Bob, you will need to get in line at Bremerton as I have a seat reserved in Wes' car (again)!

From Wikipedia: Biathlon is a term used to describe any sporting event made up of two disciplines.

Anybody good enough to run OW, and CW in the same weekend? How about through the season? Who are the 'race car' drivers around here?

Just a thought... that's Olsen's fault.

And of course, no firearms are involved... maybe a BB/Soft Pellet range competition... at the end of the day?

Okay, that's just crazy talk now.

Randy

That would be great (FM). It would give me another measuring stick to see how my car and driver developement is going. Come on out to Spokane (my home track) as I reckon I will need all the advantages I can get.

Greg

I'm planning to run GT1, SPO and FM on the same weekend a few times this year now that I have more time.

Oh god! In the not-so-distant future I also see Randy trying to drive a shopping cart at a Conference race in whatever class will have him.... and he'll still probably win :)

"In the not-so-distant future I also see Randy trying to drive a shopping cart..."

That would have to be a Team Continental Campout/Picnic event.

The high cornering speeds and compressed braking zones of a formula car (or shopping cart), not to mention actually being able to see where the tires are, (and if they are turning) are a hoot everyone should try once.

The lap times the guys turn in club ford are really quite amazing considering they only have arround 112 bhp.

With a bit more HP and wings (FC and FM) the cars stick better the faster you go.....well..... I'm smiling just thinking about it.

As long as I keep it on the track (no wing or diffusor damage) running costs average 1500.00 all in per weekend. The car, a pinto powered 99 Mygale FC (the blue one on NWMS web page), has 2 top 10 Runoffs finishes, with previous owners, and cost I am guessing about the same or less than a top Pro 3 car (less than 20k ?).

......The lap times the guys turn in club ford are really quite amazing considering they only have arround 112 bhp.....

They are pushing close to 120 or a touch better now from the 'hot' engine builders.

With a bit more HP and wings (FC and FM) the cars stick better the faster you go.....well..... I'm smiling just thinking about it.

......As long as I keep it on the track (no wing or diffusor damage) running costs average 1500.00 all in per weekend.....

WOW Greg... you're 'big budget' there :) :) With used tires and recycled race gas were were doing weekends for about $750 ALL InCLUSIVE of entry fee, food, travel, camping, etc.

I mentioned the cost effectiveness of FST racing but, as there are none in the northwest I can only guess at the velocity until... this video of a race at Bathurst came on the web. Take a good look at how quickly they are moving. Track side and in car video of same 'happening'.... i.e. 5th to 1st in the last corner for the win!

Track Side:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J-z_C3Ep5U

In Car (NOTE: He goes by the 'event' with opposite lock on!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NMA17v1xnw&feature=related

For sure cool cars. Look like tons of fun at low cost.

Watching another video of the same event showed a large field of cars in the race. Does not seem to be a lack of open wheel cars in ausieland.

...... Does not seem to be a lack of open wheel cars in ausieland.

NO shortage down there of open wheel cars or people willing to drive them.

Matter of fact, if you follow events on Apexspeed (which I do a lot of), MANY of the formula cars for sale there (which is a pretty high percentage of the market) end up on a boat to Kiwi land or Aussie ville. Seem to have $$$ and a willingness to race open wheels in that hemisphere. And it's growing every year.

Back