IRDC 4 Hour Enduro - April 10, 2011 - INFO PAGE

Been reading the supps for the enduro and have a question regarding fuel. I fully understand in the limited class that a maximum of 10 gallons of fuel can be added per pit stop. Makes sense....2 - 5 gallon jugs. Easy-cheesy. But, it also states that you must start with a maximum of 10 gallons. Here I was hoping to just fill up the tank before towing in and be good to go for the first stint. Seems very hard to verify that you only have, in fact, 10 gallons to start. I have a fuel test port so I can drain my tank dry and then add the 10 gallons, but might be crap shoot if I didn't have the fuel port. Would be so much easier to just allow the cars to go out fully loaded and then limit 10 gallons per stop from there. Just my 2 cents. Anyone have any comments on this?

that is a very good question to ask! Here is my .02 on it...It is 4 hours and regardless of the tank size in the lower groups,(which already is regulated by their own class rules), will have to stop for fuel during the race anyway. Wether it be at on hour on 10 gallons or 2 hours on 20 gallons, they will still have to stop (and possibly a driver change). There is only one way and one car that could go the distance without a fuel stop and I would say it to be a miata with a 44 gallon tank. It would have to run E1 because now it becomes an endurance specific car. I can only think of one other car that runs a 44 gallon tank, but it can only run 3:3.00 at Pacific.

I vote for letting everyone start with a full tank and then resume their respective rules.

RM

For clarification purposes: The published endurance specific supplemental regulations stipulate that all limited class cars start the race with 10 gallons maximum. Teams may be asked to pump out before pre-grid to verify, and may be asked to state a fuel burn rate. This is a technical requirement, which may be verified.

It's also a matter of sportsmanship, if we want to provide a class that's more inclusive, that is also fair.

The limited class concept is designed with fuel and tire limits to encourage people to participate with cars that don't have endurance racing development, to have a good race against other cars that don't have endurance racing development. The fuel burn rates of different cars will theoretically be offset by the lap time differentials. A faster car will probably burn more fuel, and vice-versa, and the difference in track position should be offset by a difference in the number of stops, theoretically resulting in limited class cars ending up closely positioned at the end of the race.

The rules do not preclude any limited class car from having a fuel cell, even a 44 gallon cell. But limited class cars must start with 10 gallons.

It is understood that the exact volume cannot be regulated to the last ounce, 10 gallons +/- a small margin is acceptable, but be advised that any limited class car going longer than they should be able to on 10 gallons in their stints will be looked at very closely for non-compliance with the regulations. For instance, a car that burns 13 gallons an hour cannot go any longer than 46 minutes.

Last edited:
Bill B., Richard M., and Randy B.,

Good discussion points on the 10 gallon start limit in the LIMITED Class. I concur with Randy's points and will add that we utilized this rule set in last year's IRDC Enduro with no issues or problems. We will certainly monitor the situation again this year with our Limited class teams, but I don't anticipate any problems.

Richard M. - I sent you an email providing your team's lodging accomodations in an IRDC volunteer's home during the Enduro weekend. Thanks to a terrific volunteer (IRDC Course Marshall - Ryan M.) for his generous offer. The only cost Richard is that in next year's IRDC Enduro you must bring up 3 cars from California. See you soon!

Thanks for the info guys. Randy...did not know a limited car could in fact run with a fuel cell. Certainly can appreciate wanting to let new teams experience fuel stops, etc. I've got 3 drivers so will be doing at least 2 stops. Just wanted a clarification as to the intent of starting with 10 vs just a normal fill up. Pretty new to all this so please bear with me. Should be fun. Hopefully the weather will be nice and dry! Anyone posted an enduro tread on other west coast racing sites, NASA for instance? SCCA SFR?

Willing to do so if it hasn't been done yet.....

just to let all the limited class participants know last years L1 winner could go 2 hours on ten gallons of gas but that would be the estimated limit in the dry :). sadly we will not be able to defend our class victory :(

thanks, Randy for the clarification. I did not realize it works well with the L classes. Sounds good with me!

RM

Bill,

If you could post an IRDC enduro announcement on other west coast racing sites that you frequent, NASA / SCCA SFR, that would really be appreciated. I think Scott has the SCCA OR / NW region covered. Also, if you are on the "new" spec miata site (mazda racer), feel free to post there also. You can use the info from my initial post.

THANKS!

Hey Frank, I'd like to come out and volunteer at the enduro, hopefully check off some novice requirements while I'm at it.
I've worked plenty of corners in the past and worked with Tech Inspectors at PIR. Need any help in timing/scoring or in the hot pits?

Brian,

Thanks so much for your offer to volunteer during the IRDC Enduro. I just started building the worker list today and will begin making contact with volunteers from last year's Enduro. Brian, I would like to mark you down as a "Pit Marshall". During the Enduro we need extra officials for this task. You will monitor pit stops. Also, if you are free on Saturday afternoon, April 9th, approximately Noon to 3pm, I need assistance in setting up the Enduro paddock with fencing, cones, etc.. Just let me know if you would like to work the Sunday Enduro Pit Marshall Task and possible Saturday setup assistance. I can count your Sunday effort for Novice requirements. Thanks Brian....

ATTENTION "NEW" IRDC ENDURO VOLUNTEERS - If you would like to work turns during the Enduro, please contact me and I will put you in contact with our IRDC Chief of Flags (Thomas Liesner). The 4-Hour Enduro is an excellent race to work turns. The worker meeting starts at 8:00am on Sunday, April 10th. You will be provided with a box lunch and a catered dinner during the trophy presentations after the race. Volunteers also needed for Pit Marshalls. Also, volunteers needed for paddock setup (Saturday, April 9th Noon to 3:00pm) and paddock teardown after the Enduro checkered flag on Sunday (1 hour of assistance needed). Please contact me if you would like to volunteer in any capacity. THANKS!

Count me in as a Pit Marshall, Frank.
I'll know more about my availability for set up on the 9th as the date gets closer, but I'll certainly make every effort to be available.

Hi Frank -

Posted a link last night to this forum page on NASA - Northern California Forum. As of this morning it had 17 views, so who knows. Maybe we can get an entry or two. Would be nice to have a strong 25 car field.

Bill

I encourage Novice drivers who don't yet have Novice books to come out and work turns at the Enduro. I'll make sure that you get credit for it in your Novice book when you finally receive it. Find me at the worker meeting at 8:00 AM Sunday - I'll be out there working a turn too.

Enduro regulars "Jinxed Racing" just added to the entry list. Welcome back Jinxed Racing! 15 formal entries now on motorsportreg with 2 additional entries that should be formally entering shortly.

Thanks Bill, Brian and Bob for your volunteer and marketing efforts.

If anyone has contact with Tim Brown, please have him contact me. Or if you have his email, let me know. Thanks.

I'm a 2011 Novice driver and would love to volunteer at the Enduro. Put me down.

Martin Wild
Novice PRO3

Martin,

Thanks for volunteering. I will mark you down as working turns. You will get Novice credit. Meet up with Thomas Liesner (IRDC Chief of Flags) just prior to the 8:00am worker meeting on Sunday, April 10th in the BBQ area at Pacific Raceways. Contact me with any questions and final confirmation, (425) 785-2376, fdimiceli@comcast.net. You will be provided with a box lunch and a catered dinner during the trophy presentations after the race. Wear white and dress for the weather (we have had perfect weather the last two IRDC Enduros .......... OK, maybe a snowstorm (2009) and torrential rain (2010), but this year it will be sunny and 60 degrees). Also, if you are available just after the dinner for paddock fencing teardown assistance, that assistance would be appreciated. THANKS!

I'll be there. Thanks for the details. Shot an e-mail to Thomas yesterday as well.

Cheers,

Martin Wild

Since we won't be defending our 2010 L1 class title as Eric B stated, I will be headed up from Portland to throw flags or whatever is asked of me. Don't gotta be a novice driver to help out... besides as I have witnessed before the track volunteers usually have some pretty tasty treats to sample and great stories to share. Looking forward to getting the 2011 season rolling!

Last edited:
Eric,

Thanks in advance for making the trip up to Pacific Raceways for our April 10th Enduro. Working flags would be great! Sorry you and the Bloising Saddles team will not race with us this year (and defend your class win) but we appreciate you volunteering. Also, I hope you can bring your Porsche buddies to as many Conference races as possible this season. Don't forget that IRDC will have our 2nd Annual German Touring Car Challenge on Saturday, July 30th at Pacific Raceways. I don't mind if your start spreading the word with your Porsche buddies now. Our goal is another 50+ car grid of German machinery. Ooops, I'm hijacking my own thread.....

Back