Attention: Hot Times In Seattle

To each and everyone!!!!!
WATER WATER WATER

With the temperatures being so hot this weekend, a suggestion for all volunteers and drivers.

Bring towels with you that you can soak in water, wrap it around your neck or put it over your head. This will help cool you down.

ALL TURN WORKERS.......bring an extra towel. If you have a driver that has to pull over and park it, they are going to need some immediate cooling down.
The dollar store has some great ones for only a buck. Our drivers are worth it and they would surely appreciate it.

Please do not take this heat lightly.

We don't want to have people dropping like flies.

Old saying....An ounce of prevention is worth a ton of cure.

See you all Saturday.

Got to love the summer, huh? I'm getting pretty used to it after Spokane and Edmonton the last 2 weekends.

My car display showed 108 (!!) as I got onto 522 from 405 a little before 6pm. My favorite part is that it's the dead of summer, but it's hotter here than in Eastern Washington... but Oregon is hotter still!

Okay, 103 at the track entrance.... 102 when I hit Issaquah/Hobart road and a chilly 101 when I entered Issaquah behind a Porsche towing a mini trailer with racing slicks and a tool box on it. Must have been a Porsche track day :)

NOAA says 90 for the highs both Sat. and Sun. Over night lows Fri/Sat in the low 60's. Shouldn't be too too bad.

Only dropping to 70 tonight though and projected 98 Thursday :( Pack up day. :D :cool:

Motto for the weekend:

Water Water Water Pee Pee Pee

Race control may have a flurry of "All turns have asked for a hold on the 5 minute warning"

As an aside.....our thermometer pegged at 100F IN my shop yesterday....and no we don't have...... A/C Windows or flow through air movement. (metal roof and metal walls as well) The two floor fans we have couldn't keep up. Can you say miserable???

Working with electronics......misting/hosing oneself down.......never ends well.
Besides we have enough sweat dripping off of us, that alone, poses an electrical hazard.
Can you say fried circuit board....
(Oh what the hey, we haven't had a really big smoke show in the shop for a while now. And damn, I caused the last one.)

Whoo Hoo,, Wet driving suit contest!! I am not going to be able to make it this weekend. To all you having fun PLEASE BE CAREFUL.

Racing at Willow Springs in the summer was always an adventure in keeping hydrated. This weekend will be challenging to you all too, even if it does cool off into the mid 90's.

Deffinitely hydrate!

From some close friends in wild land firefighting, they advise when hydrating with sportdrinks (like Gatoraid) that you dilute the sports drink with 50% water rather than downing the whole thing straight. You have to drink a gallon (roughly) of fluids to keep up under severe conditions and a gallon of pure Gatoraid is not as helpful as a gallon of 50/50 mix.

We indeed did have a PCA DE Day yesterday. Over 100 cars. The crowd thinned out in the afternoon for some reason. The Porsche with the race tire trailer was Dave Walp, another instructor.
I drank 10 bottles of water and Gatorade and still was dehydrated when I got home.
I am volunteering at Pre-Grid Saturday. Please bring me cold drinks when you line up.

91 degrees during Friday set-up time and tech. People were moving pretty slowly.

BRING WATER!! and ice :)

My favorite ice 'dealer' was out Friday afternoon on the way down. Hope he got a fresh inventory in from Mexico this morning :eek:

Last edited:
a tad warm

Buttonwillow is 100+ thruout the season, that why my EIP RX7 has the DEI heat blanket on the floor and the alum interior. 1700 deg exhaust temps, 300 deg tranny, Dropped interior temps from 140 to almost ambient. Ambient is still hot this weekend. I used to stick a eggcrate type freeze bag in my suit, keeps the core temps down and lasts 30 minutes.

I'll take the heat over rain any day. especially at seattle.

We don't want to have people dropping like flies.

no. we just drove like... ummm... well, actually, was there EVER a full- course yellow this Sunday pm?

Impressive, considering 50+ some in G1 and not a whole lot less in 5.
Thanks to everyone who stood out in the heat waving the blue and green and yellow and...
welll, I guess there was a black or 2...

Wish I'd finished... bah. Good weekend, nonetheless..

t

ps, gatorade and water leaves you short on salt, of all things.
My crew is low- salt, but I found that, as a sweaty driver, I need
to eat some additional salt, or I have a killer headache in hot weather.
Go figure.
Your mileage will vary...

Thats why you put salt on the rim of the glass Toby!

I just want to say what a good job everyone involved did this weekend. The corner workers, Ecrew, the IRDC race team and the Stewards made what could have been a really difficult weekend go smoothly. A huge thumbs up to all the drivers who, while having a few small bumps here and there, did a great job of giving each other enough room that everyone got to have their full race time this weekend.

Also a huge thank you to Thomas who stepped up and filled in (due to illness) as base comm today and sounded like he's been doing it for years.

Thanks for making my weekend easy and enjoyable.

db

no. we just drove like... ummm... well, actually, was there EVER a full- course yellow this Sunday pm?

ps, gatorade and water leaves you short on salt, of all things.
My crew is low- salt, but I found that, as a sweaty driver, I need
to eat some additional salt, or I have a killer headache in hot weather.
Go figure.
Your mileage will vary...

VERY TRUE... When I was a kid growing up in Tucson, we didn't have TV or computers (yes, no TV for years when we first moved there.. No STATIONS on air).

We didn't hesitate to play outside all day in the summer heat of 110 or 115. BUT, we did eat salt tablets (designed for desert dwellers) twice a day in addition to drinking much water.

I've never seen salt tablets in the store up here.. Gonna look now that the 'hot one' is behind us :cool:

Back