Spokane Pro 3 Special Race standing start ?

Someone just needs to tell me where to line up and race. Standing, sitting, squatting, LeMans, inverted grid, counter-rotation with a clown hat and big streamers on the car...I don't care how the race organizers want to do the Pro3 race. Here's my $125 extra entry fee...now where is pregrid?

Just in my humble opinion - do none of you watch races with standing starts?

Sage advice Rick with a lot of common sense. Of course when did any of that apply to Pro 3 guys? :rolleyes: I kidd.

Someone just needs to tell me where to line up and race. Standing, sitting, squatting, LeMans, inverted grid, counter-rotation with a clown hat and big streamers on the car...I don't care how the race organizers want to do the Pro3 race. Here's my $125 extra entry fee...now where is pregrid?

Mike, spoken just like a hard core Pro 3 guy. We all know you want to wear the clown hat if Curtis will let you:p

I think is cool that you all just even think of it. Doing something different out of the norm for a "special race" is cool. Sounds like if there is ever a place to attempt a standing start Spokane is the place.

I don't think earplugs are much used in the PRO3 ranks.

If this happens, I'll be very enthusiastic-
and have my camera with me-

in the stands,
shooting footage like crazy.
From at least the 10th row up.
Because it will be worthy of youtube, if not the Spokane evening news...

Go for it!

heh.

t

Certainly a topic worthy of discussion. I will be with Toby in the stands with my camera, but I think I will be 15 rows up. The last time we did this was with W-car Atlantics, they wrote off 3 cars before they got the race started. They had there own insurance and Stewards. It was interesting to watch from a distance. Open wheel cars can really get some altitude when their wheels touch. Those wheels come off really easy too.

Very well put Rick, and definitely an issue that needs more thought.
CFDA did standing starts in Canada in the 90's when we used to run that series. Once you get the revs and clutch release figured out it's a real rush, but there were numerous close calls and a little touching as well. About half the cars moved off quickly, while the rest bogged down, no pun intended Dick, and caused lots of hairy avoidance manuvers.
The track is wide enough at SRP to really spread the cars out however, and that should reduce the collision potential quite a bit.

On a side note, the WSC rhat runs at Mission next weekend uses a standing start, I wonder if they're aware of this.

If they do it all the time, I suspect it's not such a big deal.

A standing start's a bit of an art, and certainly a skill...
Watching BTCC, those guys can miss just about anything,
and they STILL bang into each other (by accident) a lot at the start.

And then they go bang on each other on purpose for 18 laps...

I wonder if I can find a couple more cameras...

t

I'd venture to say that just about everyone of us has done a standing start from where we spun off track ;)
The Pro3 platform is pretty well suited for standing starts. The diff handles an extra 100HP as evidenced in their use on Z3s, the tires light up and smoke quite easily so limiting the torque absorbed by the car, and first gear is only good for the first 20 feet before hitting the rev limit. (They really don't make a great drag racer because of the gearing in first.) Everyone with a camera will see the show over before S/F where every car that hasn't hit 5th by mistake will be in 3rd going for 4th. The line should be well sorted by T1.

Unlike the Atlantics the wheels are pretty well protected and the bumpers are huge.

The bigger question is who is going to be the nubile young maiden who will stand in front of the grid and raise the flag? Isn't that the tradition?

AH HAHA!

.. but those guys can only figure out how to turn right twice a year.... what makes you think they can figure out standing starts?!

haha! I have been to the infineon cup race and believe those guys can wheel a car on the road course. Kyle Busch and Tony Stewart were very impressive.

As for a standing start...I dunno:confused:

We need to take up a collection to get Curtis nice cute little pink outfit..:p

Back