Local FF for sale

Richard Broadhead

Flag & Com
You and I and Greg all live in the same state: confusion.
Greg picked up another car and doesn't have room for this one, I'll let hime tell everyone about the new one...
From what I've seen of it the Lola is a good car. Engine had an issue but since it's not included no problem-o.
Lawrence

Richard, you CAN still get kent engines. You make it sound like they are totally extinct. FF is still a healthy class, but the Fit engine will surely take care of that. Just look at the Zetec and FC.

Last edited:
Not a bad price for the car though, and it has the right number on it already... Hmmmm... maybe legal for Sovren someday?

Richard, you CAN still get kent engines. You make it sound like they are totally extinct. FF is still a healthy class, but the Fit engine will surely take care of that. Just look at the Zetec and FC.

Yes agree with the Zetec/Pinto comment.

But, Kents are getting pretty rare, Stu. Last complete race ready engine that sold through Apexspeed was in Ivey's shop and the price was $7,500. IF you can find one for sale (as Doug Carter was trying to do last year), even ones that need rebuilds are going for over $5K.

Thanks to the Zetec, you can find freshened race ready Pintos for about $4,000. The same could happen with the FIT in FF. HOWEVER the latest 'buzz' is they are putting something like a 26.5 restrictor on the FIT which is dynoing out at UNDER 110 HP!!! With a 30 it was dynoing out close to the Kent. yikes... so much for the FIT.

Don't you worry bout that Rich, SCCA will change the rules at least 5 times before they ever hit the track! If it is just under 110 then it is the same as my motor, but the stronger local Ivey's are 112+ last I heard. Isn't the Fit a little lighter than the Kent though?

I don't know about the weight, Wes. But, the FIT is fuel injected so the throttle response will be better.

Supposedly, some of the well built 'stronger' National level engines from Ivey, Quicksilver, Farley, Loyning, Cricket Farms, etc. are pumping out 116 to near 120 HP. So the SCCA guys are rather concerned to say the least about going National racing with under 110 HP (more like 107 with the current restrictor plan) especially at a runoffs track like Road America.

A Kent slightly under 110 HP is probably GOOD for club racing. Will last longer and be more reliable for sure.

It is true the Lola is for sale and a new little blue gal is on the way. The engine issue occurred when the head de-torqued itself during a particularly loud playing of ACDC's Back in Black. Basically just sitting there and a bolt head broke....very strange. Anyway the engine is a zero time Ivey. So if anyone wants the car as a roller or complete I would be willing to discount for a local sale and I can even set you up with a trailer and/or an 87 3/4 ton Suburban (although I love the big girl) tow vehicle

Beautiful car Greg!

It's hard to compare HP numbers between the various builders Rich because their dyno's are all a bit different. I understand that Ivey's dyno reads around 10 HP lower than Loyning, or did a few years back anyway. The best comparison is at the end of a long straight, which around here of course only happens at SRP. I was quite suprised at the power I had at RA last summer when the 'fast' boys would draft by and then I'd latch onto their tails and they really didn't pull me much at all up that long front stretch. That was true even wih the regional Swifts and VD's, but man, when they hit a fast corner with all that aero and sticky Goodyears the party is over real quickly!

Last edited:
Very interesting, Wes. Sure sounds like you had to have more then just short of 110HP at Road America to stay with them. Pulling the hill is all about exiting that last corner and a better aero/sticky car has an advantage.

The FIT engine started out at Quicksilver, and has now been on Arny's dyno. After Arny is done the same engine is supposed to head over to Jay's. Will be VERY interesting if the actual raw data from all 3 is ever put out to the public.

Kent blocks

It's been a while since I did a Forum check-in, and was looking to see if our trailer was still priced right. I stumbled on your dialog about Kent blocks and felt I could add some accurate facts. I'd suggest anyone who's looking for Kent blocks, or facts about them, give Jay Ivey a call. He has blocks. Further, Jay has been working with Ford advancing their plan to restart casting Kent blocks. Jay was in Michigan a short time ago and feels the new blocks may be available as early as July, but knowing how these things can go, at least by year end. Jay's work is timely. The uncertainty about the FIT engine and the legions of Kent-engined cars still out there makes the news about new castings welcome. It has allowed Kent-engined owners to move forward in investing in the cars they know and love, and plan to race for some time to come. Jay is an honest and skilled advocate for racing, and is one of Northwest racing's solid supporters. Call him for the real story.

I had forgotten about the effort put forth by Jay and some of the other major builders in regard to the 'new' blocks. They are SCCA approved by now I think and if not Jay still has blocks available as you mentioned. With the aluminium head also now recognized by most organizations we would seem to be set for quite awhile.
That is why I don't believe the Fit will be an issue for CF for quite sometime, if ever. Hard to tell if Honda is truly interested in the guys that far down the ladder, or if their efforts will stay at the national level.

Back