Formula SAE

Trevor Cobb

Hey everyone,

I've decided to try to help out the Univeristy of Washington, given the recent budget cuts and the fact that I am an MBA in the business school there.

Anyway, they have a team that builds a race car from scratch and then enter's it in a series of competitions. I thought that there might be some members of this board that may be able to help us with something. Given these are young people aspiring to do something each of us hold dearly.

They need to find a testing venue. Think big flat parking lot. They would bring the car down to the site on a weekend, set up a cone course similar to autox and test various settings and go through driver's training. Some of them are accomplished racers already (karting champion in Hawaii).

If any of you know of anyone that might have the ability to let them use some space, please send me a note. They have a relationship with the Tacoma Dome, and until recently Boeing. Unfortunately boeing needed the space back given the crazy work hours they were running with the 787 issues.

They have a pretty good system in place for doing this.

PM me here or email me

cobb dot trevor @ gmail dot com

Thanks guys,

Trevor

Yea they do. Unfortunately, the b-ball games take precendence and the part of the lot that is left, is not very flat. Think opposite side from the IMA.

Their dates are limited by the games right now.

Western Washington U. has come down to our Bremerton playday a time or two over the years and spent the day running laps and testing their SAE cars. The first one is in March, and the exact date can be found on irdc-racing.com.

What about asking Proformance School or Pacific Raceway if they'll let them use the skid pad? If so, we might end up with some volunteers for race events :) But the play day at Bremerton is good too.

Wonder how many of the SAE 'kids' even realize we race at Pacific? After all, they are focused on getting jobs in Detroit.. Oh oh..

What about asking Proformance School or Pacific Raceway if they'll let them use the skid pad? If so, we might end up with some volunteers for race events :) But the play day at Bremerton is good too.

Wonder how many of the SAE 'kids' even realize we race at Pacific? After all, they are focused on getting jobs in Detroit.. Oh oh..

oh we know theres racing at pacific, and some like me even participate in the racing.

My son (also Bill Murray, Gp. 2, blue / wt, #109 Fiero), is in deep with the S.A.E. Program at O.S.U.
I know they were testing today, i think at the local county fair grounds, go see what King County can offer?
I know they also test quite often at The Dalles Port on the Columbia River. And i think their invitation there is through a U.W. team member?

Great flat place to run a car. Also one of the places T.C. Looked into for a race track about 1991.
Bill Murray

Last edited:
Thanks for the notes everyone. I enjoy the friendly school spirit too! I was a history major back in the day at an East Coast school so I'm pretty new to the SAE thing. But as a car guy I find it fascinating.

The team does work with the other schools in the area and I'll encourage more cooperation/pooling of resources.

Thanks for the King County idea. Does anyone have a contact there? I'm comfortable cold calling them, but it is always nice to warm it up a bit.

Thanks also for the other ideas. I can check out those websites. I'm sure the racing groups will be warm to this as is. Its the business/government ones that I'd imagine would be skeptical.

Thanks,

Trevor

Back