Ballast Question

jimmc8

SCCA rules for IT say:
9.1.3.9. Driver/Passenger Compartment - Trunk
l. Ballast may be used . . .
1. It shall be in segments no heavier than fifty (50) pounds, and shall be capable of being removed to be weighed apart from the car.
2. Each segment shall be fastened with a minimum of two (2) one-half (1/2) inch bolts and positive lock nuts of SAE Grade 5 or better, and shall utilize large-diameter, load-distributing washers.

Does this mean that each segment must be fastened separately or can the segments be stacked and attached together?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Each 50lb (max.) segment must be fastened to the car on its own.

I suppose, technically, you could attach a segment to the car using at least two bolts and then attach another segment to the car THROUGH the segment on the bottom, stacking the two segments, but you would then end up with a higher CoG than you'd get by not stacking.

Hmm- I call that my rewards weight...

as in, 'wait, don't eat that, you're already overweight. No donut for you. Oh, too late. Way overweight.'

Seriously, check for the maximum allowable amount of ballast-
I seem to remember it's #100.

t

Seriously, check for the maximum allowable amount of ballast- I seem to remember it's #100.
t

2008 GCR page 78 = 9.3.8. BALLAST
Ballast may be added to all cars as required, to meet minimum weight, provided it is securely mounted within the bodywork and serves no other purpose.

Definition from page 110 = Ballast - Non-functional mass fastened inside a car to increase the weight of the car.

IT rules page 378 =l. Ballast may be used. All ballast shall be located in the front passenger footwell/seating area, aft of the firewall and any footwell angle, and forward of the aft-edge of the forward-most passenger door opening, unless otherwsie specified on the vehicle’s spec line. OEM front passenger seat location.
1. It shall be in segments no heavier than fifty (50) pounds, and shall be capable of being removed to be weighed apart from the car.
2. Each segment shall be fastened with a minimum of two (2) one-half (1/2) inch bolts and positive lock nuts of SAE Grade 5 or better, and shall utilize large-diameter, load-distributing washers.
3. Holes may be drilled in the front passenger footwell/seating area floorpan for purposes of mounting the ballast (only), and said floorpan may be reinforced as required for the same purpose.

I skipped the formula, SPR classes.

2008 ICSCC rule book
page 67 Radial Sedan rules :cool:
8. Cars may be ballasted to meet minimum weight
requirements. Ballast weights must be securely fastened
to the floor of the passenger/driver compartment, per
SCCA GCR IT Specs.

Pro7 rules page 79
4. Weight and Ballast
(a) A minimum weight of cars shall be 2,400 lbs. with driver
at all times. Ballast is allowed, but must be located no
further rearward than the stock seat bolt holes of the
drivers seat base. Each ballast piece may not be taller
than three inches or stacked higher than three inches.
Ballast must be securely fastened to the car.

Page 88 Pro 3 rules
4. Weight and Ballast
(a) A minimum weight for cars with driver will be honored
at all times. Ballast is allowed, but must be located in
the passenger foot well no further rearward than the
stock seat bolt holes of the passenger seat. Ballast
must not be stacked higher than three inches and
must be securely fastened to the car.

Spec Miata rules page 94
A. Make of Car
1990 - 1993 Miata 1600 cc @ 2300 lbs. (with driver)
1994 - 1997 Miata 1800 cc @ 2350 lbs. (with driver)
Ballast must be mounted on the pan in the area normally under
the passenger seat.
1994 - 1995 1800 cc

Other listings too, your understanding may vary.

Back