ICSCC Checkered Flag Decal

Hey Scott, Congrats Man!

Not that I've won one before, but... I did buy a race car (my old rx3) that was covered with them, there must have been 50 of them plastered on the car. I raced it for years and Yes they do hold up very well indeed.

take care,

Remember the days when the dash board of a race car used to be covered with the little plaques from all of the events the car had raced in? What happened to that tradition and, where do those plaques go now?

Yokum's trailer is a thing of true racing beauty!

:mad:
There shouldn't be the awarding of checkered anything for the completion of the novice race. Most often the novice driver doesn't even operate at competitive speeds. The novice driver should be judged on: judgement, technique, attitude, reactions, and comparitive lap times. When these criteria are satisfied then upgrade follows. To finish "first" in a novice race may well be satisfying to the driver/owner, not withstanding that [it] is the equivelent to getting a star for completing bible school, you should get a hand shake [only] and be welcomed to participate with the seniors as you have satisfied meeting the criteria above. Your learning experience has just begun. Continue to mentor with one of the best drivers in your class so that your driving acumen and success continues and you spend many successful years participating in conferernce earning checker flags from real competion. Suggest you glue your checkered sticker to the inside top cover of your tool box so that only you see it. You won't have to worry about whether it gets wet and you certainly won't have to explain to someone that it "just" came from a novice race. Good luck and may you win many more checkered flags and stickers.

:mad:
There shouldn't be the awarding of checkered anything for the completion of the novice race.

Geez, maybe there should be no awards to anybody until they hold an FIA Super License. That would demonstrate that a driver has some 'basic ability'. :rolleyes:

Oh contraire, winning a novice race is a 'good thing' as Martha Stewart would say (and an accomplishment worth noting). Especially in ICSCC fields of NCW's.

Stick that sticky sticker on your car!

Last edited:
I believe his checkered flag was earned in the RS class, G4, in his first upgrade race. Nothing is awarded for the Novice races other than a hearty "well done" and of course, the requisite bench racing stories with your fellow Novi.

Remember the days when the dash board of a race car used to be covered with the little plaques

Those were the days when race cars had dashboards...;)

Mine go in the tow vehicle, but I'm running out of space. ;p
And we don't get them at all races...

Now, there's plenty of room for the flag stickers, but those don't
seem to accumulate quite as fast as the plaques..........

t

Albatross, if you're offering to be a mentor, feel free to contact me privately icscclicensedirector@comcast.net and I will put you in touch with a Novice that can use your expertise. Or, you can use your given name in your posts and we can all know who to seek out to discuss what real competition is.

Good thing there aren't any awards for spelling.

Hmmm ... just lost my reply post, so let's try again ...

Scott, I wanted to let you know that I find your enthusiasm SOOOOOO refreshing! I always get a chuckle from reading your posts ... you sound like a kid in a candy store! (But I note one of the people you thank in your sign-off is your wife, so I'll have to assume [hope???] you're a BIG kid!!!)

I've been sidelined from cornerworking due to some pesky surgery and forced recuperation, but reading how eager you are for Mission next week, I thought - I just may have to drive out there to watch the novice race Saturday, even if it has to be from the bleachers!

So, I am quite put off by the comments of Albatross ... please don't let them dampen your enthusiasm! CONGRATULATIONS on your ICSCC sticker, display it proudly wherever you see fit ... hopefully not underneath the lid of your toolbox!!!

Bonnie

P.S. From good'ol Wikipedia ... "The word albatross is sometimes used to mean an encumbrance, or a wearisome burden."

+1 Bonnie!

Lord knows, I've been spending money...er, I mean "racing", for the past three seasons without a single checkered flag sticker to show for it! What's up with that??

And yes, Scooter is a big kid...about 6'-4" if I'm not mistaken...:p

I believe his checkered flag was earned in the RS class, G4, in his first upgrade race. Nothing is awarded for the Novice races other than a hearty "well done" and of course, the requisite bench racing stories with your fellow Novi.

I see Scott has maintained silence since getting a false reprimand from Albatross.. but I can verify 100% that the decal was from winning the G4 RS class.

If it is a vinyl decal (not having won one.... YET! I dunno), I would imagine it would be easy to remove if necessary but also resistant to fading/smearing/degrading at the same time.

I say put it on! If it starts degrading, it'll just give you more incentive to win another one to cover it up :D

I think I just had a BRILLIANT idea!

Perhaps ICSCC should adopt the license fee structure of FIA Super Licenses. A base fee PLUS say $50 for each championship point you earn in a given year.

For example:
Base fee $75
Points fee $50 per point

If you earn 200 championship points you owe an additional $10,000! Wouldn't that make racing a lot safer? Drivers will be working hard to avoid a win and finish as far back in the pack as possible :)

After all, if Kimi had to pay $336,000 to renew his license after winning the F1 title, what's the problem?

P.S.
Group 3 and Group 6 are exempt under the Economic Recovery Act of 2009 :D

P.P.S.
Man are we lucky I have NOTHING to do with running this club :eek:

Last edited:
I think I just had a BRILLIANT idea!

Perhaps ICSCC should adopt the license fee structure of FIA Super Licenses. A base fee PLUS say $50 for each championship point you earn in a given year.

For example:
Base fee $75
Points fee $50 per point

If you earn 200 championship points you owe an additional $10,000! Wouldn't that make racing a lot safer? Drivers will be working hard to avoid a win and finish as far back in the pack as possible :)

After all, if Kimi had to pay $336,000 to renew his license after winning the F1 title, what's the problem?

P.S.
Group 3 and Group 6 are exempt under the Economic Recovery Act of 2009 :D

P.P.S.
Man are we lucky I have NOTHING to do with running this club :eek:

haha lol.

I'm down with your plan with the exception that all fees be deposited to the Clinton Racing,LLC bank account ;)

I see Scott has maintained silence since getting a false reprimand from Albatross..

Yep. Scott's a class act, and a poster boy for contagious enthusiasm. There's never a black cloud in his sky - unlike some who just seem to have a need to espouse their negativity.

Last edited:
For those that may not think a novice race is competetive haven't seen those open wheel novices having to deal with us Legends cars in group 6. I believe the formula car that got caught up with 4 of us Legends in turn 7 at Portland last weekend had an orange novice sticker on their car. Cars going everywhere, sliding through the corner and a formula car in the middle of our maihem. Everyone doing what they needed to do while racing wheel to wheel. Hats off to the novices. Someday I hope to win me a sticker!

I'm not going to bad mouth Albatross or Scott. I don't know much of anything about either of them. I will congratulate Scott on his win! And encourage him to keep up the good work. Racing is a never ending learning curve. Every time you take to the track there is something new to be added to your race craft. I think that even the most experienced of competitors will concede that. Keep your senses and your mind open and you'll be rewarded with an endless stream of incredible experiences. The best friends I have in this world I've met at Conference events. Don't short change anyone! There's something of value to be gained from everyone you encounter in this life. It's up to you whether you find that value or not.

I'm regretting my slur on Albatross. Who knows what's going on in his/her life? And I should know! Two months ago I was getting ready to head down to Long Beach to flag at the Indy Race ... instead I ended up in the emergency department of my local hospital! What started out as a REALLY painful blockage of the small bowel (which eventually cleared on its own five days later just as surgery was scheduled) disclosed something much more sinister ... a tumour on my kidney. So now I'm here - minus one kidney! - with the cancer removed, but a "cancer free" diagnosis not possible with renal cell carcinoma. But God willin', I plan to hang around for MANY years to come! Y'ain't seen the last of my red hat yet!!

:)

So, what I'm sayin' is ... ENJOY your life! Wear your pearls! (or, ummmm, maybe your REALLY good watch??) Display your decals!! Spread those Albatross wings and FLY!!!

And I agree with Trout, Conference is a wonderful family, one I'm proud to be a part of! (And I apologize for being b****y!!)

Back