PR ultimate lap?

westipton

I was asked today if I knew the fastest lap ever turned at Pacifc. I recall Scheckter running an F500 car there in the early 70's (?) at around 1:06 or 7 but naturally I'm probably wrong. Rich, Rob, anyone?

Last edited:
Well, I don't know about Scheckter, Wes.

F5000

June 7, 1970
Ron Grable Lola T-190 1:15.7

May 23, 1971
David Hobbs McLaren M10B 1:14.9

Sept. 30, 1973
Brian Redman Lola T-330 1:14.3

And 1973 was the end of that.

In the shall we say 'current era' and track conditions I believe the lap record holders at Seattle today are....

May 27, 2007
Mark Jaremko Stohr DSR 1:17.4

May 25, 2003
Rennie Clayton Ralt RT-41 1:18.3

As a ref. BLAST ground pounder... Mike Rocket 1:21.8

Don't know what Randy's lap times are.

As an aside:
Jaremko may also hold the FF lap record at 1:27.2 in a Stohr beating Ralph Hill by 0.3 seconds in his DB1

Last edited:
Kinda puts the current testosterone arguments about lap times in perspective does it not? Maybe I thought 1:06 when it was actaully a 1:16, but I do remember it was one hell of a fast lap by Jody!
I'll call with a 1:14 unless I hear differently. Thaks Rich.

Speaking of testosterone, I know the bikes can run 1:24:xxx with the chicane. Wonder how much that bus stop adds to their laps?

Speaking of testosterone, I know the bikes can run 1:24:xxx with the chicane. Wonder how much that bus stop adds to their laps?

I don't know. But maybe they should try for about 1:30's or so. Seems like every time I've gone out to a turn station this year I've found pieces of front cowlings and metallic parts off bikes :(

Last edited:
I was testing my CF many years ago at PR on an open test day, and 2 bikes were out there with me. When we came into the pits they walked over and told me I was absoutely crazy. Seems that they would rather drop and get away from the bike rather than be trapped inside a car! I was speechless and expounded on the virtues of roll bars and seat belts, but they would have none of that!
Non bus stop would be a very quick obviously, but just how fast? A couple of seconds at least eh?

Should have mentioned.

Jody only ran here in 1973 driving the Trojan T101 and did a lap at 1:15.5 to Redmond's 1:14.3.

After that, he moved in to a Lola T-330 and took the championship in '73. Oh should also mention he did 5 F1 races in Europe while winning the F5000 series here..

The days of "I'll race where ever when ever what ever drivers".

Last edited:
Boys with very large b... in those long gone days. So the day I watched him he rolled a 1:15, what a slacker!
Okay Scott, how do you know? Hmmm, let me guess...

I was told by Don Jensen a few years ago that he thought the current track configuration was maybe 4 secs a lap slower than back in the day, depending on what you were driving.

Parnelli and Donohue were doing 25's and 26's in 69/70 in the T/A cars.

Does anyone remember when the track changes were made, and what were they? Was it only one change, or was there more than one? Did it (or they) have something to do with a dirt embankment sliding down?

The last change was the run down the pit straight a few years ago that added about 2 seconds?

Robert Barg

WOW! I didn't use it to find the F5000 data but, this site is BACK UP!! :)

This place comes and goes. Every time it's off the air, I shed a tear. This is the most massive data base about road racing and tracks in the world. The guy who built and maintained it right up to the moment had to give up on it about 3 years ago. It will be a terrible loss if it vanish's. Fortunately some guy found the room on his server to host it... This thing should become a web site that lives FOREVER. Not till the next guy decides to take it down.

Track maps for many places include historical changes to the layout (sadly not for Pacific). ALSO, click on the FEATURES button and it will access as the button "RACING CALENDARS" just about every series ever run including Formula One results back to 1894 and J. De Dion's win of the 1st F1 event!

http://theracingline.net/racingcircuits/racingcircuits/

There's so much 'stuff on this site you could spend 10 hours a day for the entire summer going through it.

Last edited:
Does anyone remember when the track changes were made, and what were they?

The last change was the run down the pit straight a few years ago that added about 2 seconds?

Robert Barg

I don't have lap times but do have home movies of races from the early '60s, and some pics have been posted here. The major change was to 5/6. It used to be a very shallow kink.

Early photos do show a very gentle kink in 5 and 6, which had to be faster by a few seconds. The new configuration with the present kink is very similar to the previous course in lap times. It definitely did not add 2 seconds based on old lap times to the current times.
T10 Scott? So you crunched at the kink on a bike eh? I have seen and heard about a lot of bike crashed out there, some fatal, so while I admire the bravery of those racers, I do question their common sense...

For some people, when they put the helmet on, it activates the "Gladiator Gland" much to the detriment of those around them.

More common on bikes then cars, thank goodness. :)

Last edited:
Back before the bike "bus stop" was used at the head of the straight and actually while the dragstrip was used as the front straight I was out helping a bike racing friend at an open test day. In contrast with how careful everyone is now about mixing different cars, we used to test with bikes and cars on track at the same time!

Obviously bikes have a huge acceleration advantage because of their low weight and minimal aero resistance and give up time compared to cars under braking and cornering because of a much smaller patch of rubber attaching them to the ground. As a result the bikes always looked out for cars in the braking zones, were about even with them in most the corners, and didn't worry about them at all once the throttle was whacked open.

I remember the shocked expressions of the riders coming off the track after the Bayside Disposal Porsche 962, which was out testing at the same time, easily passed them on the outside in turn eight and then absolutely left them for dead down the straight. I wonder how quick that thing got around the track?

Last edited:
Back