Novice written test

mikecolangelo

This weekend, there will be a bunch of the novice racers (including myself) who will be driving their third novice race with the hope of moving up to an ARR license. Part of the process includes taking a 49-question written test. I've been told that the witten test covers "everything" in the ICSCC Comp regulations book but I'd like to know if there's anything in particular I need to concentrate on (e.g., flags, licensing rules, etc.)? I'll give those sections extra scrutiny.

Thanks in advance for any info and best of luck to all my fellow novice drivers!

As it turns out, the plastic airplane (787) may prevent me from racing on Sunday but I'd like to go home with an ARR license, regardless. See you there on Saturday for sure!

Damn right!

I'm all about increasing shareholder value! :D

Me too! I planned the manufacturing methods for the leading edge flap track parts and assemblies (747-8 also). We need the money were I work (have to make the "plan") so get the damn plastic plane the double hockey sticks up there! Enough thread jack........;)

I too am hoping to upgrade. Been studying the novice manual and hope I remember all of it when the time comes. That and try not to be so aggressive in the race. Right that will happen too...:rolleyes: My top 3 sponsors will all be there watching, one from my house, one from Fed Way, and the other all the way from Virginia.

See you in the chicane brake zone on lap 1 coming from the back! :D

Okay, I've got one.

#50. You're car has quit producing any power. You immediately decide to...

A) Remain on track, coasting as far as you possibly can while pushing on the steering wheel and repeating, "Come on, we can make it. Come on we can make it." until all momentum is gone, then at the very last possible moment, pull off to the side of the track.

B) Check your mirrors, put your hand in the air to indicate that you are slowing, and locate the next available 'safe haven', preferably with people in it , and attempt a soft landing.

C) Immediately coast off course, stop, get out, open up the hood and look at the engine, as if you can perform a McGyver fix with your shoelace, or something.

D) Check your mirrors, put your hand in the air to indicate that you are slowing. Pull safely off course, and remaining completely belted up, wait for assistance to arrive.

D of course.

Okay, I've got one.

#50. You're car has quit producing any power. You immediately decide to...

A) Remain on track, coasting as far as you possibly can while pushing on the steering wheel and repeating, "Come on, we can make it. Come on we can make it." until all momentum is gone or no manned station are in sight, then at the very last possible moment, pull over to the edge of the track.

B) Check your mirrors, put your hand in the air to indicate that you are slowing, and locate the next available 'safe haven', preferably with people in it , and attempt a soft landing.

C) Immediately coast off course, stop, get out, open up the hood and look at the engine, as if you can perform a McGyver fix with your shoelace, or something.

D) Check your mirrors, put your hand in the air to indicate that you are slowing. Pull safely off course, and remaining completely belted up, wait for assistance to arrive.

UHHH I guess my answer is incorrect... I don't see "push the turbo button" on the list. HMMM S@#^ I'm in trouble.

BUT WAIT! THE BMW'S AND MIATA'S DON'T PRODUCE ANY POWER TO BEGIN WITH... HOW ARE THEY GOING TO KNOW WHEN THIS SITUATION APPLIES :D :p

BUT WAIT! THE BMW'S AND MIATA'S DON'T PRODUCE ANY POWER TO BEGIN WITH... HOW ARE THEY GOING TO KNOW WHEN THIS SITUATION APPLIES

Ha Ha...........A quick check of the last race results...oh never mind :p

UHHH I guess my answer is incorrect... I don't see "push the turbo button" on the list. HMMM S@#^ I'm in trouble.
Was that the problem? Your FnF JDM button broke?;)

Very good and funny!

Last edited:
^^ HAHA!

It didn't break, but who knew that it wasn't actually connected to anything??

The guy at the decal shopped promised that it (along with the decals I was purchasing) would increase my hp by 40%!

Okay, I've got one.

#50. Your car has quit producing any power. You immediately decide to...

A) Remain on track, coasting as far as you possibly can while pushing on the steering wheel and repeating, "Come on, we can make it. Come on we can make it." until all momentum is gone or no manned station are in sight, then at the very last possible moment, pull over to the edge of the track.

Damn Kenny, I thought it was 'A'!

Only if you're driving McClure's Caterham in an enduro... :(

OK, getting back to novice test questions:

First, a reference to the applicable rules:
Para 706 (pg 28) in the ICSCC Comp Regs states, "Drivers Meetings. There shall be a mandatory Drivers Meeting held after completion of practice and before the first Championship race. ...."

Scenario:
Given a typical race weekend, where the senior (ARR and IRR) drivers have practice and qualifying sessions on Saturday and a qualifying session and Championship race on Sunday, which of the following is correct:

A) All drivers must attend the Drivers Meetings on both Saturday and Sunday.

B) Drivers Meeting at 11:30? Dude, I can't go. I'm still trying to sleep off my hangover.

C) All drivers must attend the Drivers meeting on Sunday before the Championship race.

D) All drivers may attend a Drivers Meeting on either Saturday or Sunday.

E) Screw it! I'm on my own schedule. I don't need no stinkin' Drivers Meeting!

OK, getting back to novice test questions:

First, a reference to the applicable rules:
Para 706 (pg 28) in the ICSCC Comp Regs states, "Drivers Meetings. There shall be a mandatory Drivers Meeting held after completion of practice and before the first Championship race. ...."

Scenario:
Given a typical race weekend, where the senior (ARR and IRR) drivers have practice and qualifying sessions on Saturday and a qualifying session and Championship race on Sunday, which of the following is correct:

A) All drivers must attend the Drivers Meetings on both Saturday and Sunday.

B) Drivers Meeting at 11:30? Dude, I can't go. I'm still trying to sleep off my hangover.

C) All drivers must attend the Drivers meeting on Sunday before the Championship race.

D) All drivers may attend a Drivers Meeting on either Saturday or Sunday.

E) Screw it! I'm on my own schedule. I don't need no stinkin' Drivers Meeting!

Hmmm something tells me E is wrong... I dunno why though.

Alright, the correct answer is C. It's the Drivers Meeting right before the racing starts and if you look on the schedule it actually says "Mandatory Drivers Meeting". Saturday's driver's meeting is not mandatory.

When Jeff took the written test last year, he commented on what the most difficult question was for him.

That was the essay part where he had to describe all of the pass's he had made in his novice races and why he considered them 'safe'. Good thing he kept race notes.

Novices can pass? Wow, who woulda thunk...

Seriously, we have by far the best novice program going, and good shepards through the years keeping their flock together and safe. I don't remember a written test when I was a novice, but it is an excellent idea and serves to keep newbies on their toes and thinking.

these wont be on any test but you need to know these, heres some important ones

Your 200 yards from a turn station side by side with another car, the yellow flies, what do you do?

Your flying down to 3 at seattle going oh, 80, and some unfortunate soul is upside down in the middle of the track at 3 with smoke rising, flagfolks are running towards him and you dont see any flags. what are YOU going to do?

A personal favorite
Youve got a real national hotshoe on your bumper but he dosnt want to pass you because its practice and he's just breaking in a engine, your going into t-7 at PIR, do you

A.... Hold your line as the overtaking car has the responsibility to pass safely?

B....Brake check him and make him flat spot his tires and take an ass whoopin later?

C....Go in wide and leave him room on the inside in case he wants to pass?

D....Look up in your rearview at his grinning face as you blow the turn and eat the tire wall with your drivers door and your head then spend hours at days end trying to find your door mirror to no avail only to see it later on your carcam flying thru the car in a million pieces?

Last edited:
Novice

When I was a novice we did not have a test but I do know the answers as regards group #3 everyone knows them its A B B

Back