Pointless guessing game about old computers

What is DOS anyway?

DOS = Disk Operating System

It, until Vista was the CORE foundation of what allowed a computer to work. Windows has DOS running under all those fancy screens and icons.

A very basic computer language that you had to type in and know all the proper commands for to get a computer to do anything. Windows uses the DOS language to accomplish many of the tasks once you push the fancy symbols.

Actually invented by a real estate agent in Renton decades ago. Bill Gates purchased the rights to it for what, maybe $300? Then convinced IBM that it was the one-true-way to operate computers but also convinced IBM that he should retain the rights to the software.... Thus was bourne Microsoft and the rest is history.

Last edited:
That was joke Rich, but thank you for the discourse. I remember a computer class at the UW in the late 60's with the punch cards and a computer that filled the whole room I think!
How many great ideas and fortunes have been lost because of a failure to retain the rights to an invention or an idea? How many penniless schmucks are out there right now lamenting the day a 'Gates' did a number on them?
And I do agree with Randy that the results posting issue has gone on for years now with no improvement. We are way past the old 'steward sign off, copy and mail to various officials' method. This should take a few days, not weeks, and AMB claims that they support that premise, so what is the real issue behind this? There seem to be constant issues that Perry has to deal with on a given race week-end, some with Wi-fi, some with track loops, but it's always something. I know that T&S is a club responsibility, but perhaps it's time to make it a Conference position, with standardized procedures for every track. (?)

Sometimes I can't help myself...Windows NT, and its successors (Windows 2000, Windows XP, and now Vista) do not share any heritage with DOS, other than providing backward compatibility for applications written for DOS, including earlier versions of Windows.

However, Windows 3.1, Windows for Workgroups, Windows 95, Windows 98, and Window s Millenium do share varying amounts of foundation with DOS. -Bruce

Yes, I knew things were slowly switched along the road somewhere but wasn't sure exactly where. I use Windows XP and am GLAD for the backwards compatibility to DOS. Yes, I STILL run some DOS based programs.

PUNCH CARDS:
Yes, used to carry 6 to 7 boxes of thousands of punch cards over to the SLAC computer to run on their electron trajectory program. Talk about a HANGING CHAD issue! One or two and your day was ruined :(

"Avoiding stones"
Looking forward to the new web site :)

Punch cards?! Luxury!! Remember paper tape...? (I remember, on more than one occasion, seeing a 9th or 10th grader on the hall floor crying because they'd dropped a couple boxes of punch cards.)

The first computer I used with any regularity had a 9" B&W screen, 1K of RAM, calculator-style keyboard, and an audio cassette recorder for data storage... all in one big, plastic-molded lump. First person to correctly guess gets a point-by this season. :D

Punch cards?! Luxury!! Remember paper tape...? (I remember, on more than one occasion, seeing a 9th or 10th grader on the hall floor crying because they'd dropped a couple boxes of punch cards.)

The first computer I used with any regularity had a 9" B&W screen, 1K of RAM, calculator-style keyboard, and an audio cassette recorder for data storage... all in one big, plastic-molded lump. First person to correctly guess gets a point-by this season. :D

So only the Pro 3 guys are eligible?:p
Or are you going to be able to play?:)

Scelbi & Mark -8?
Commadore 64? no it had a green screen
TRS-80?
Altair?
IBM 5100?
IBM Home PC?

Bzzzt!

Commodore 64s had either monochrome or color screens and typewriter-style keys. I did own one, but that's not the answer.

TRS-80 is closer (esp. the Model I), but still wrong. Again, "real" keys.

(Wow, has this thread ever gone far a-field!)

TRS-80 Model 1

My first personal computer AND the first PC in my division of RCA corporation. Even though they had a main frame business, my boss just laughed when I put in the purchase order. That TRS in the office was like a step in to the twilight zone. Nobody could figure out what possible use I could put it too.

They exploded including replacing type writers with a Wang system throughout the buildings and eventually, my boss had one of the first lap tops ever made.. go figure.. what possible use could they have?

So, what's new with the web site today :) ?

Case you haven't noticed in your records, I upgraded to I.E. 8 this afternoon. Hmm, what's different? Not much to the eye.

Last edited:
TRS-80 Model 1
Bzzzt! Nope. (I already said it wasn't a "Trash 80.")

So, what's new with the web site today :) ?
Nothing, but nice try at getting this back on topic.

I upgraded to I.E. 8 this afternoon. Hmm, what's different? Not much to the eye.
Depends what you were using before. If it was IE < 8, the tables on the schedule page look different. In fact, what you're seeing now is identical to recent versions of Firefox.

Okay, the little line dividers are gone on the schedule page.. see that difference and it looks nicer.

Did notice one other thing on the Schdule. The August race a Pacific shows it being on....

2nd THEN the 1st.

Does that mean we're running the races on the 2nd before the practice and quals on the 1st of August? Perhaps time warping back to the 1st of August and doing the practice/quals after the race is over?

If so, we need to upgrade the Flux Capacitor. Ours is only 0.6 Jigawatts and besides, we don't own a DeLorean. Only other option would be asking Buckaroo Bonzi for a ride through the 8th Dimension to get back to the 1st of August.

For once I am totally speechless in regard to this 'twilight zone' thread. The word 'nerd' comes to mind, or maybe 'geek' but as long as I can turn this darn thing on and send emails I'm happy!
I do recall the computer spitting out my punch cards repeatedly due to punctuation errors, and over the course of the semester I doubt we learned a damn thing. That was 40 years ago, (gads) but I am now truly thankful for Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, and of course Steve Adams!
As far as the intent of the thread, I like it Steve, and it will be much simpler to navigate for us PC challenged types.
What other changes might you have up your sleeve?

Late to the party here, but to the poster above who referred to punch cards; RemRandRound or Hollerith?

Was it a Comodore PET?:D Feel free to point my flag station by in your imaginary races, it'll be the one with the go fast wing on it :D

Back