Mission race travel advisory

Randy Blaylock

Highlander Motorsports
FYI, there are new requirements for border crossing going into effect on June 1rst I believe. My understanding is that you will need a Washington State enhanced driver's license or a passport to cross back into the US of A, the regular DL no longer cuts it.

I may or may not have my facts correct, the point being now is a good time to find out what's required so you have some time to deal with it if you're planning on racing in Mission.

This is straight from this link: http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/index.html

U.S. Border Crossing Requirements Are Changing - Get Compliant by June 1, 2009!

Simplify your travel checklist!
On June 1, 2009, U.S. citizens returning home from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean or Bermuda, by land or sea, will be required to present one of the travel documents listed below.

Many of these documents are already available, and obtaining one now will ensure that you are ready on June 1, 2009, when they will be required.

U.S. Passport – This is an internationally recognized travel document that verifies a person’s identity and nationality. It is accepted for travel by air, land and sea.

U.S. Passport Card – This is a new, limited-use travel document that fits in your wallet and costs less than a U.S. Passport. It is only valid for travel by land and sea.

Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL) – Several states and Canadian provinces are issuing this driver’s license or identification document that denotes identity and citizenship. It is specifically designed for cross-border travel into the U.S. by land or sea.

Trusted Traveler Program Cards – NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST enrollment cards can speed your entry into the U.S. and are issued only to pre-approved, low-risk travelers. The cards are valid for use at land or sea; the NEXUS card can be used in airports with a NEXUS kiosk.

Special Groups – Information for Children, Groups of Children, Native Americans, "Closed Loop" Cruises, U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents, Ferries and Small Boats, and Boaters..

Knowing what documents are required and having them ready when you return home will help streamline the entry process and ensure your return to the U.S. is as smooth as possible.

There you have it!

About 1 month ago I submitted for a passport in anticipation of the Edmonton IRL race in late July and received the passport in about 2 weeks.

What additional paperwork, etc. should one have on hand to reduce any hassle-factor with either the Canadian or our own US Customs personnell? I've heard horror stories about needing complete inventories of everything in one's trailer, bill of sale for your racecar, etc... Any truth or just hype?

.....This oughta stir the pot... :)

Not having had to drive across the border with a race car & trailer. I've heard the same that you should have "all your papers in order".

Getting into Canada is easy, and with friendly border agents. Getting BACK into your own damned country, however... not so much. :(

Steve is right, the Canadian customs agents are definitely friendlier than the US folks. It might be a good idea to have a list of what's in the trailer Dave, but I've never been asked for anything.
I went up last Labor Day, with my little open trailer, and the gal looks at the car, looks at me, and asks, "why are coming to Canada, where are you going, and what will you be doing there?". I had to bite my tonque and answer her questions as seriously as I could cause you DO NOT want to joke with them or be a smartass. Smile and hand over your passport, and when they inquire about any weapons on board, don't reach quickly under your seat!

Hey Lance, are you participating in the Alberta Sports Car Club support race at the Edmonton Indy? There will be a group of META turnworkers out on the various corners and we'd love to be able to cheer on one of our own!

Bonnie,

You'll feel right at home - I think there's almost 10 of us Pro3 wackos headed to Edmonton for that race. I blame Lance.

Last edited:
I've made several border crossings with the enclosed trailer and camper on the back of the pickup and never had a problem. Sumas (IMO) is used to seeing a boat-load of racecars coming through at various times of the year. With the drags and ICSCC, there's generally plenty of consistent racer traffic to "back up your story" so to speak.

In fact, one time on the return, the US agent said, "I'm guessing you have a BMW in that trailer?" (enclosed) He was right. Said he guessed because there were four others that were just ahead of me...

Have your passports ready; turn off the engine when you pull up to the booth; make eye contact and answer the questions straight-forward. If you have booze, tell them, don't hide anything (not that anyone would, right??) You're allowed two bottles of wine per person, btw.

That's just my experience. Your results may vary. And now that I've said this, I'm sure I'll be pulled to the side and searched this June!! lol

And well you should be searched Mike, if only to find the other 3 or 4 bottles of wine stowed away in the trunk of the race car!
You are right about eye contact and straight simple answers. Remove the shades, and try not too look to nervous or swallow excessively! I try not to look nervous, which of course means that I feel and probably look like I am.
If you have a trophy with you on the way back show it to them when they ask where you've been or how you've done, that always gets a smile and a 'have a nice day' from them.

And well you should be searched Mike, if only to find the other 3 or 4 bottles of wine stowed away in the trunk of the race car!

Quiet, you! :)

I had one Agent ask me if I won any money. "No, I said." He kept pushing, "Nothing?"

"No, not a thing, not even a trophy." I replied.

I think he was expecting that since I had a racecar, I HAD to have won some cash...boy, he sure doesn't know Conference, does he!

Quiet, you! :)

I had one Agent ask me if I won any money. "No, I said." He kept pushing, "Nothing?"

"No, not a thing, not even a trophy." I replied.

I think he was expecting that since I had a racecar, I HAD to have won some cash...boy, he sure doesn't know Conference, does he!

They are used to the drag racers that like to brag about winning $$... :D

Hey Lance, are you participating in the Alberta Sports Car Club support race at the Edmonton Indy? There will be a group of META turnworkers out on the various corners and we'd love to be able to cheer on one of our own!

Bonnie,

There will be about 11 (last count, I think) Pro3 cars going up for the race. It'll be good to know there are familiar faces out there, in case we need you!

Dan
Tic-Tac

I can tell you from experience what not to say. 20 years ago we were traveling up to Vancouver for a Canucks game. When they asked if we had any drugs, alcohol, or firearms with us, one of my buddies decided to say "no, why, do you think we'll need them?" 6 hours later after full body cavity searches and car completely striped down we were allowed to turn around and go back into the U.S. Now when I cross the border I hand them my passport, tell them that I used to be a Canadian citizen and that I am racing cars. I have no problem. Never been asked for documentation. I have had 3 of the officers come into my trailer when coming back into the U.S. They just wanted to see the race cars as they are fans. They all wanted to know if I had any trophies to declare. Much to my sadness I have always had to answer with the truth. NO. But maybe this year!

Woohoo! 11 Pro 3 cars!! That's great news, thanks for passing it on Tom and Dan - I'll pass it on to my cornermates ... we'll have to figure something out to make you feel right at home! The track is AMAZING, I think you'll have a blast!

I'll be heading up to shot the GT race and if I'm lucky I'll be out shooting the IRL race as well. Who or how META workers will be out for this race?

Hey Curtis! Right now there will be me, the ever-so-famous Roger Salomon and his equally famous partner Ann, Andrew and Karen Clouston, and Sandy Meggyesi. Hopefully Angus Glass too, though I haven't heard from him, and however many others we can talk into joining us. We're all regulars down in Seattle as well as Mission, and we'll all be thrilled to cheer on our Conference drivers!!!

Edmonton has a very small group of experienced workers, so they rely largely on outside help. I think our numbers are going to be down this year. Last year I was at Turn 10 and as I recall the Sports Car Club was the first group out on the first day, and on the first lap one of the cars smacked into our station!!! It was quiet after that until the IRL race ... when we had a BIG hit into our station! Even though it's an airport and there's plenty of run-off room, there are STILL lots of concrete walls lining the circuit. Also, even though it's Alberta in July, which is usually hot and dusty, the second year it was cold and pouring rain ... so the bimmer boys better pack their rain tires! No matter what, it will be a huge rush racing in front of 60,000 people! :)

Back