Oregon Raceway- is it a go?

Toby, I understand the deadline for giving the confirmation to the E-board was extended just a bit. I'm sure it wil lhappen, it just takes forever to get these sanctions done and recorded.
If nothing else I'm sure a non-championship event could be held at that facility if the sanctioning is held up for whatever reason.

I'm not at all official, though I am the Co-Chief of T/S for Team Continental. We went out there last week (actually my first visit). The place is beautiful, I didn't get a track ride as there was a very big motorcycle track day going on. Paved paddocks, fences around the paddock, kwall down the straight between hotpits and the racing surface. The turn stations are all nicely elevated, with guy wires and shacles attached to concrete pads, with proper kwall barriers around. Looks like the Gov (city/county?) is in the finishing stages of grading/adding drainage to the road from Hwy97 into the facility in prep for paving. I wouldn't be surprised if the paving was done this last week it looked so close.

We went for a recon on how the new loop installation worked, and to get an idea on how we'll be placed for our race in October, in relationship to Registration, and the track. The new loop worked great. TC T/S will be ready. We also did some recon of the local communities so we have some Gas-Food-Lodging contacts for you in advance of the Race. I'll see if I can bug my Race Chairman to post up something "Official" here.

Please make sure this and Spokane are on your do not miss weekends of the year!!!

Yep, it's one I'm doing, he** or high water.

The thing is, though, for those of us contemplating a
championship season on a limited budget, knowing whether it's
a points- paying race or not is kind of important...

t

A co-worker was there for the motorcycle track day that Holly mentioned, and he loved the track. He said it isn't a real fast track, as his Yamaha 450cc thumper was able to keep up with most of the 1000cc sportbikes, but he really liked the lay-out of the place and said it was a lot of fun. The only negative he had to say was that it was in the middle of nowhere, but we all know that.

I like the idea that a well sorted car should be able to mix it up with cars that are normally quicker. Appears to be one real straight in front of the pits, but not long enough to allow others to get away. So a real premium will be put on set-up and handling rather than HP.
This is still listed as a Conference championship event Toby, so as such there will be, (should be), double points awarded per the current rules pertaining to new venues.

Do not worry, there is a lot of elevation change. A high HP car will have a distinct advantage.

Sounds like gearing especially for formula cars could be a real issue. First time I've heard anything about what the track is "like" (beyond... neat, great, cool, should be fun).

Has ANY FF, FC, FM run there yet and what gearing with what results? Length of longest straight? Certainly sounds like a big gear change from Portland or Pacific.

If that high HP car handles worth a darn that is! There would seem to be many more corners than straights from what I've seen and been told. The half pipe alone will definitely be worth the trip!

Do not worry, there is a lot of elevation change. A high HP car will have a distinct advantage.
I'm not so sure. I ran with cars with twice my HP without twice the lap times. In fact I was surprised how well I did against them. It is a handling course and a course where you can get some speed up before climbing the hills.
I didn't see 5th gear much which is another indicator of a track made with more corners than straights.

I'm not so sure. I ran with cars with twice my HP without twice the lap times. In fact I was surprised how well I did against them. It is a handling course and a course where you can get some speed up before climbing the hills.
I didn't see 5th gear much which is another indicator of a track made with more corners than straights.

I know what you are saying. I had fun with 100hp in my Opel. But, My SPM car with 500+ should absolutely rock from turn 5 through the Adams section. Also going up the hill out of the halfpipe and through the north straight, and up the hill after the big dipper. The whole track will be a pucker factor with serious HP!

Per the President's Message in the most recent Memo (#4), this is still the answer. There is every expectation that ORP's "tentative" status on the schedule will change once TC has been able to complete the list of items required for certification.

Don'tcha just love it, when an honest plan comes together?

In retrospect, I can't help thinking about how much smoother this process may have gone had it not been for sudden demise of the Track Development Fund at the 2009 Spring meeting. That lack of support truly put a financial burden on a member club to accomplish a common goal FOR ICSCC, instead of WITH ICSCC for the expansion of viable road racing venues in this Great Northwet.

Of course, not being at that meeting, I can only have faith that there was a truly honorable sense of reason for that motion/vote.

its my understanding that the e-board still has to vote as to whether or not this race is happening.

If truly the e-board still has to vote be sure to contact your e-board rep and make your opinion if you want this inaugural race to happen!

Back