PR, SOVREN, satellites, and the kart track

rons

Ron Standley
I was looking at satellite shots of PR, looking for an overhead of the kart track dig to see if they REALLY were going to relocate the drag strip there as well, and found this on MS Live search.

You may have seen this site and image before, so excuse me for posting it again.

Click on the link to open up the satellite view of PR. Looks like one of the Sovren July events. Kind of cool. You need to click in the picture to focus there before moving around.
MS Live view of Sovren event

No the view is not live, at least one year old. it is the name for the Microsoft site. Some day big brother will give us real live views of the races from overhead.

Now, for fun, try this..

1 Redisplay the link for a good starting point. Click on the picture.

2 Use the left arrow to scroll the map to the right. You notice black bars on the left before the next image stripe from the satellite loads. If I remember they take 90 minutes between passes? Could be wrong on the timing.

3 Keep moving left, but slow down as T10 comes into view. The gate and the place where people cross.

4 Slowly click left one click at a time. Notice the black bar coming in from the left, and a pretty good crowd of people crossing. On the drag strip as well.

5 Keep slowly clicking left. Before the people leave on the right, the next satellite image will load. When it does, Poof, the people are gone.

OK, no big deal, but they do a pretty good job of matching the images next to each other.

Looks like someone broke on the track as the wrecker is between 5a & 5b.

Must be that satellite delay between pictures. I bet he was going for lunch.

Panning left shows 4 cars entering T2, then a van when the next frame loads.

I noticed last weekend there's a permit posted at the entrance to move the drag strip West of the kart track. So it looks like they're moving ahead on it.

Back