Pacific Raceways on Friday - paddock issues

bjohnson

The Drag Strip Management Division at Pacific Raceway has decided to open the High School drags in mid-afternoon, meaning that those participants will be entering the paddock area at about 2:30. They have been allocated 2/3 of the available paddock parking, and until early Saturday morning, entrants in the IRDC event will be restricted to parking at the west end, towards the shower building and the office. In order to access the paddock area, we cannot use the main access road past the guard gate. All IRDC traffic must use the gravel road which passes the registration booth. This is clearly an inconvenience, but we'll just have to make the best of it for the day. Thanks for your cooperation, and if you have the chance to let your buddies know (they may not have read this in time), please do. See you there - Ron Johnson, IRDC President :eek:

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I was there all day today.

IS THAT WHAT THAT FENCE IN THE PADDOCK AREA IS ALL ABOUT ??????????????

And no access to the rest of the paddock till Saturday morning?

Might as well warn you all now. The amount of 'space' that's left over for us on Friday is not much! And yes it's all down by the shower building where very few normally paddock. As a ref. point, the fence is FURTHER down toward the showers then Ken Dye usually sets up his enclave along the grassy knoll roadway. Unless they move that fence tonight, I do not believe its a real accurate 2/3 1/3 split.

Goinng to make for a VERY UGLY, frustrating Saturday morning :( :( :( Especially if you're in Group 3 (first out) and need a weekend tech.

Time to improvise, overcome, adapt!

But then there are worse things. About 20 Pro3 guys 'purchased' an entire run group in the Proformance lapping day today (3 hours of T&T for them). Interesting thing is, a couple of them were planning on just paddocking where they are now till Saturday (including one 48 footer).. Oh Oh... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The discounted T&T we had today is just one of the many benefits that the PRO-3 drivers receive. Besides getting a whole run group to ourselves, each PRO-3 driver only paid $100 to participate. We'll have another one later in the summer. It is part of our sponsorship agreement with the fine folks at ProFormance Race School.

RB - was that you in the T2 station? Hard to tell at race speed!

A great day for testing. The event allowed the seasoned racers a chance to help out the new guys. There were several newbies in the mix and I think this was very helpful to them in their driver development...kind of an extension of the Novice series.

Thanks again to Don and Proformance for sponsoring the class and allowing us this opportunity!

Yup, was me, Mike.

"Halloween" turned my head a few times. That exhaust really 'sings' when you're done braking and feed the power on again :)

I was standing there watching you guys run for 3 hours and wondering... How many race weekends do you get out of those engines? 3 hours today 1.5 this weekend, 1.5 last weekend (without T&T).. geez lotta miles per season at that rate.

Last edited:
I was standing there watching you guys run for 3 hours and wondering... How many race weekends do you get out of those engines? 3 hours today 1.5 this weekend, 1.5 last weekend (without T&T).. geez lotta miles per season at that rate.

At least 25 events and 167,000 miles on my bottom end, so yeah, lot's of race weekends!

I count my engine life in race years. I got 6 years out of my first engine. Only because it was out of the car due to a crash repair did we decide to spring for fresh one 2 years ago. Redline is around 6,800 but I shift at around 6,000 in part to add life to the engine.

I still think the old one had more power than the new one. :(

Last edited:
Yup, was me, Mike.

"I was standing there watching you guys run for 3 hours and wondering... How many race weekends do you get out of those engines? 3 hours today 1.5 this weekend, 1.5 last weekend (without T&T).. geez lotta miles per season at that rate.

Richard,

These engines go forever. They aren't Porsche's after all (did I just really say that?) :eek: I feel myself getting sucked in .... :D

Dan
(with 2 early 80's 930's)

Last edited:
my last motor had its first trackday at 295000 and first race was at 300,000 on it before it was useing too much oil at 311,000 at the end of 2008

...Tech is usually located near the T8 access road.

Probably Saturday morning, yes. No clue where they will do tech Friday night.

I just stopped by the track again. The amount of 'depth' we have is approximately 275' to 300'.

With carefully controlled paddocking you can get maybe 3 'driving isles' worth the cars in there. Some people would have to pull in against the temporary fence. i.e. 6 maybe 7 "lines' of cars But long trailers will quickly bollox up the works.

If it's free-for-all random paddocking, it will be chaos quickly

Decision tomorrow when we see what's left around noonish.

We have not given up completely. Just got home from having DND mount up some slicks. What's that? Rain on the weekend you say? Oh :rolleyes:

For those that aren't in Group 3, you could just wait and hold a ' land-rush ' of covered wagons in to the normal area on Saturday morning at 7AM.

Trying to fit the pieces together:

As I understand it from a 3rd party, these High School drags may go on to Midnight. Thus we can't access that paddock area until Saturday morning.

Last edited:
Don't you have your annual? Or, does IRDC require tech for each race?

I have a current 2009 ICSCC logbook and a 2009 sticker on my helmet. Plus, I have SCCA and TCRA (SoCal) logbooks which had current annuals (with the stamp) as of 2007 and 2008, respectively. My understanding is that I am now eligible to go through express tech. I just don't know if that option is available this weekend.

If the car has an Annual then it sounds like you'll register in one place, then get your gear teched at a second location. These two places are some distance apart.

If the car has an Annual then it sounds like you'll register in one place, then get your gear teched at a second location. These two places are some distance apart.

Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm a novice ;) ), but I just want to confirm that my logbook is proof of my 2009 annual. Is that correct? Also, my SCCA logbook has annual inspection stamps in it but my ICSCC does not. Was I supposed to receive an annual inspection stamp last week or does ICSCC not do that?

Thanks in advance for any info!

You need to get a current-year annual. (The sticker on your helmet is for your helmet only.) I have always gotten an ICSCC annual tech sticker, but I believe an SCCA annual is valid, too.

Back