New course worker question

Hello folks. My fifteen year old son has offered to work this weekend at Pacific Raceways, but I didn't know if there is a minimum age requirement. He's willing to flag, work tech, scales, pre-grid or wherever he's needed. Shall I bring him out to work?

Hi Richard,

If you go to the ICSCC homepage, and click on "contact ICSCC officials", you can scroll down to Lynn Rimmer's contact info for the Race Officials Division. I imagine she would be someone that can answer your questions, or will know who may be able to.

Richard, we should be able to put him to use somewhere. He cant work turns or other hot areas at 15. He may be able to help at pregrid. Dont quote me but I think he can help on pregrid untill the one minute, but has to be off grid when cars release. I believe that he should also be able to help at tech.

Thomas

I thought nobody under 16 could be on pre-grid, regardless of whether it was "hot" or not? Or is it another age for which that's true? (My 6-and-under kids have never been allowed on pre-grid.)

This is not a conference rule but an insurance policy rule. Scott Adaire should be able to answer this when he arrives. The Canadian Insurance policy requires all minors at the track to have parents sign a waver for them. This is different from the ICSCC policy.

Ken, that is a well thought out post, and I applaud you.

If necessary (and if anyone will point me in the proper direction) I will research the insurance issues and try to seek clarity.

Since this sport is defined by inclusion, I wholeheartedly agree that we should discover what mechanism is required to get the minor's involved. Working turns/grid seems to be an absolute wonderful gateway to get them interested in racing, if it is possible.

My wife is in the healthcare insurance biz, and may have some contacts that can read the fine print in the policies to see what the exceptions/inclusion clauses may bring.

Me, I cannot stand to read insurance docs.

So, I officially volunteer to have this looked into.

By my wife.

Who is in bed right now sleeping.

Won't she be surprised :D

RP

I would assume it would apply in this instance, too, but I know that the local BMW Club can't have kids at their track events because the waiver means NOTHING due to the law(s) in WA state. Ditto for waivers signed by a parent/guardian, because the same law(s) preclude a parent/guardian from signing away a minor's rights.

I KNOW Scott will have a more substantive answer on this, but I think it's probably something along these lines.

Well, Ken, you and I and the lamppost might all agree, using the burden of what appears to be common sense, but insurers and the law don't necessarily agree with us. I guess we'll just have to let those people who are paid to understand these kinds of things work it out, but it sure would be nice if your system was in effect, wouldn't it?

I am new to this so forgive me... It was all fun and games until Steve brought out the "C.S." Common Sense. although this is a very serious topic I for 1 not speaking for or representing anyone will take on a very large dose of "C.S." before a truck load of "B.S."

Good Job, Bring on the young adults, Don't get me wrong but I think that lets out the 6yr olds at this time(disclaimer)...KVD

I see nothing wrong with polishing my lug nuts, but as you say not everyone wants to do that.
Did we have any youngsters amongst the workers this week-end? I didn't see any in the morning meetings, nor on pre-grid, but I was a little busy assisting Mr. Boyd so maybe I missed them. We have reviewed this issue before as it applies to minors on the race track, and we know how Washington law contradicts that, but if a minor were to hit by a racing vehicle on course we'd all probably have to find a new hobby real quick.
Ken you mentioned earlier that there appears to be no specific verbage in the rules about minors working turns. If that is the case then as you say it's up to us to safely train those who have the desire to do this, and not turn them away. This is an issue the E-board needs to focus on this year and make a clear cut insurance advisor induced decision one way or the other and move on as you say. If 18 year olds can fight and die in foreign countries, then I think 16 and 17 year olds can work a turn if they show the C.S. and aptitude for it.
For those who didn't know, every member of the color guard yesterday except the man calling the cadence behind them had been injured in combat. Awesome group of guys, and they are so stoked to come back and do this in August! We have a few of them talked into coming to our July IRDC school, either as students or taking rides at the end of the day. I'd guess most of them are under 21, and what they've seen the last few years is something I'd never want my child to experience...

Wes, and all concerned, it is a fact that 17 year olds can, do and are fighting for our country right now and in some cases being injured or killed. Interestingly enough it takes their parent to sign a waiver to allow them to join the military for the privilage of doing so.

If they can fight and die or be maimed for our country they should be able to enjoy working at a racetrack. Seems to me that would be a hell-uv-a-lot safer than the military.

Master Sergeant (RET), USA, Kyle Nickels

Well, uh, start with your explanation of 'doctrine' and then move on to 'organization.' That should only take a few pages - per day - for a month.
Seriously, what in a nutshell is your position on this Kenny? Short answer please. I'm am thoroughly confused and in dire need of 'enlightenment.'

So as I said earlier, the E-board needs to address this with our insurance people and give us a definitive answer so we can move forward with training those younger volunteers who may appear without warning at any time.
With our combined hundreds of years of worker experience, it would be a realatively easy task to teach the youngsters how to do what you all do so well, and do it safely.
The difficult, and expensive part, would be rewriting and reprinting the P&P.

As a postscript to this discussion, I contacted Lynn Rimmer by e-mail to see if my son could work last weekend and got no reply. That's fine, as long as our worker corps. were well-staffed, and no bodies were needed. I often hear, though, of our desperate need for volunteers, so I was a bit surprised. In response to all of this, my son replied, "Golly, Pops, I guess I'll just go build a drift car or something." :eek:

Hey Richard,
I don't know what day you emailed Lynn but just for a note to everyone that if you are trying to email or fax some of the race administrators on the Friday before a race that you may not get through because they may be at or on the way to the track. I am not saying you did this Richard, but it happens quite often.

Thats correct Scott. Lynn and I drove down on Friday afternoon. She did not get Richards email untill we got back on Sunday night.

Thank you for the invitation, Ken, but I don't think I will be attending Rose Cup this year. By the way, my son is fifteen. Does that make a difference? If there are other opportunities for the boy to volunteer this race season, I will contact the right people well in advance to see if they have a spot for him.

Back