Noobie question: PIR Supps require 2 gallon container?

mikecolangelo

I was reading through the supplemental regs for this weekend's race at PIR and came across this:

"18. All entrants for this event shall present at tech inspection an empty, sealable container or containers, marked with the
driver’s name and license number, capable of holding 2 gallons of liquid. These are to be used to remove all oil, cleaners,
brake fluid, etc. from PIR. There will be no drums provided."

Is there any particular container that you folks recommend? I'm thinking of a plastic bucket with lid that one might find at Lowes or Home Depot. Would this be acceptable?

Water jugs

Mike, just grab two gallons of water. If you actually need the containers for waste oil, you can drink the water and slosh around like a fish, top off everyones radiator around you, water the lawn, whatever.

If you don't need me, you can carry them with you at all times until you forget exactly why you bought them in the first place :)

RP

First time Conference competitor here...

Rod, just to clarify -- are you recommending labeling those gallon jugs of water, or would two unopened jugs straight from the grocery store satisfy tech?

Mike, just grab two gallons of water. If you actually need the containers for waste oil, you can drink the water and slosh around like a fish, top off everyones radiator around you, water the lawn, whatever.

If you don't need me, you can carry them with you at all times until you forget exactly why you bought them in the first place :)

RP

Thanks for the info Rod!

Is it true that Novice drivers need to show up at Tech wearing their Nomex underwear on the OUTSIDE of thier driving suits?

:)

I found a nice hard plastic 2 gallon (empty) jug somewhere last year. Darned if I remember where but it might have been in the camping section of Freddy Meyer's store.

This 'rule' may seem silly. But, this past weekend I was walking through the paddock during lunch time at Pacific. Seeing me all in white, a fellow approached me carrying a clear 1 quart container of used oil and asked me where he could dispose of it? Hmmm, far as I know, there's no oil or brake fluid dump location at Pacific either.

Point is, plan on packing out your nasty fluids (except what you leave in the porta-potty) from any of our tracks and taking it to your favorite oil recycler.

I used to carry two empty, 1-gallon milk jugs with me, labeled and all, now I leave them at home and plan on using my distilled water containers if I need to do a major fluid change at the track. (Bottled water bottles are typically plenty for brake flushes, though.)

I was in Fred Meyer in Issaquah a little while ago and looked for the 2 gallon jugs. Nice jugs made of hard plastic with a carry/dump handle and lid.

They are back in the hardware section around the corner from the "Greenway" water cooler stuff. Probably a similar place in other Fred M's.

2 gallon jugs. Sorta reminds me of driving from Palo Alto in to San Francisco to see Carol Doda in my younger years.

If the sups. had said 1.5 gallons that never would have crossed my mind.

Last edited:
I use a couple of gallon juice containers. Hard plastic, relatively heat- resistant.
Usually full of water for other things, but easily usable- and strong enough
so that on the odd chance we bring them home full of oil, they won't leak.

I also bring a big, hard plastic dishpan large enough to hold the contents
of all the liquids in the motor... that's come in handy several times...

t

Tree Top Apple juice jugs are a good choice as they are thicker and you can see through them to quickly determine the room left in each. (By the way, these also work great in cool suit coolers, fit perfect. Fill with water and freeze.)

I've got a plastic jug I've been using that I think I picked up at a garage sale and it appears to be a vegetable oil container, about 5 gallons worth. The great thing about it is the large mouth and heavy screw-on cap. Makes transfer of methylethylbadstuff much easier.

So go deep fry a turkey, then use the jug.

I also bring a big, hard plastic dishpan large enough to hold the contents of all the liquids in the motor... that's come in handy several times...

For that, I pick up a couple of those aluminum roasting pans at the super market. They are low enough to slide under the transaxle and deep enough to hold all the engine oil if needed. Once fluid is dumped into the 2 gallon 'jug', just collapse it and it's in the garbage. Easy clean up.

First time Conference competitor here...

Rod, just to clarify -- are you recommending labeling those gallon jugs of water, or would two unopened jugs straight from the grocery store satisfy tech?

You can label them if you wish, just make sure you have them on hand and insure that if you have any waste oil/fluids, you pack them out.

No one has ever asked me for mine, but I think it is important that we all recognize that you cannot leave any toxics laying around at any of the facilities. If you get pinched this weekend without a container, come by the groundpounder (stock car) areas and we will hook you up with a container. Lord knows we change gears often enough, somebody will have a spare jug.

And Mike, yes, it is true, you wear your fire proof undies on the outside of your suit, and at the drivers meeting, you must wear a propellor beanie. You know, like the orange sticker, so we know who you are :)

We can all then be thankful that we are through the novice program (lordy, I hate those beanies) :p

RP

If anyone wants some of the 5 gallon vegatable oil containers I have a large supply of them . They may need to be cleaned out a bit, but it sure beats hauling them to a landfill.

And of course as a matter of complete desperation,
you can put a lot of mess back into a fuel jug-
if you have the right funnel...

t

I noticed this weekend that there were two waste oil tanks on site at PIR - one is down by the restrooms at the east end of the paddock; the other is near the area where the tire guys set up shop.

I just bring an oil change pan -- the plastic kind that has a screw cap over its pour-out hole. This is low-profile enough to fit under the car, and is huge so I can toss it under there when something starts leaking. (When the radiator erupts, for instance, I can toss it under there and it catches everything.)

If you buy a large one, it'll hold 12 or 16 quarts ... 3 or four gallons.

Back