Sovren Photos - April 19th 2009

jackley

Hello, This is my first time posting here so I hope you don't mind me just jumping in with some photos?

I've mostly been a bike guy but lately I've been thinking about racing cars instead, might be easier on my body as I get older and probably stress my wife less:). I've done a few car track days now and something like formula V seems like a good way to get my feet wet with out breaking the bank.

Maybe I'll look around the site and see if there are any suggestions for a beginner and how much it actually costs to race?

Anyway, here are some photos I got, hope you enjoy.

Here's the full gallery.
http://photo.exackley.com/gallery/7965589_jVoK2#517669608_NWFFb

and here are some of my favorites.
517669723_aUffJ-M-1.jpg

517672314_sv6xZ-M-2.jpg

517675542_PHjpT-M-2.jpg

517676309_V55Dh-M-2.jpg

517674340_ag6K3-M-1.jpg

James
jackley@exackley.com

On the one hand, nice photos. On the other... I somehow forgot about the SOVREN races and your pictures are now really rubbing in the fact that I should've been there. :D

I was there! I was there! Working of course. Great days of racing.

Yes, NICE pictures. I suspect #42 CM had the car up on stands after his brakes locked up somewhere and had to be roll-backed to the paddock.

Hello, .........and something like formula V seems like a good way to get my feet wet with out breaking the bank.

Maybe I'll look around the site and see if there are any suggestions for a beginner and how much it actually costs to race?

WELCOME to ICSCC and come out and join the FUN, FUN, FUN ! ! !

Where to start and get MAX bang for the buck. Okay you seem interested in open wheels (that makes it even more fun) :)

I keep saying this but nobody believes me, yet. There are two options.

Look at FST (an up and coming SCCA class). It's based upon Formula Vee but uses the more 'current' beetle engine, disc brakes and a front beam improvement. Engine cost are about 1/2 what a ultra top performing FV engine will cost and the rebuild costs are lower. In the event you have a 'nasty' repair costs are nickels compared to 10's of dollars for any other open wheel class. HUGE bang for the buck.

Lap times will equal mid to front quarter of the pack Formula Ford times.

Read about FST here:

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=100

and here:

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=108

and here:

http://www.sracing.com/

P.S.
ANY Formula Vee can be converted (in steps or all at once) to FST.

F600. An upgraded F500 car using a 600cc bike engine which you can buy on Ebay for under $750. Upgraded a lot from the F500 chassis and it's another relatively new concept. It's a project being lead by J. Novak a well known car builder. Although 'new' it has already been recognized as a regional class in SCCA.

Read about them here:

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30763

Be it FST, FV or F600 I'M SURE it would be welcomed in ICSCC! The best club in town :)

Both classes are easy on tires and have relatively low engine costs compared to others. Cost to race will vary depending upon "how" you go racing. 2 sets of tires a year, 2 seasons of 'solid' schedule racing per engine rebuild (maybe 3) then again maybe 1/2 year (but they are low cost), entry fees, food, lodging (motel or camp at track) and travel plus amortized maintenance for those cars figure a TOTAL of about $600 to $750 per weekend of racing, maybe. Doing a limited schedule of just Pacific Raceway and Portland events would be less.

P.S.
The above is valid if you aren't 6 feet and 23 inches tall. Formula cars just aren't built for 'normal' sized people.. it's a very strange thing.

Last edited:
Another P.S.

Don't forget ICSCC at Pacific Raceway May 2 and 3.

Come out, look around and ask questions. We're getting a new number for 2009 but look for the car in my avatar and say hello! It's a Reynard NOT to be confused with the STUNNING Raven FA. wow!

Okay Rich, what is that wild looking yellow #777? I don't think I've ever seen that car out before, and I have no idea what it is.

Whether it is a TR-4 or TR-250 I'm not sure but it is an absolutely beautiful car. It's great to see these cars still on the track...

Another P.S.

Don't forget ICSCC at Pacific Raceway May 2 and 3.

Come out, ....
Oh bummer, I'm out of town that weekend. :( Maybe July 26th or the August dates?

Oh and if anyone does know what that 777 car is please, I'm curious too. It's not on the driver sheet I got.

james

Wes and Jackley,

Saw 777 MANY times on the track and it is indeed a neat car. That run group was pretty hectic to flag. The Alfa coupe was ULTRA fast as were a couple of others. So blue flag required a lot of concentration. Not much time to focus on it running and never got over to it in the paddock.

But, but. I'm 99% sure Pete Lovely had that car out during one of the Proformance lapping days late last year. Yes indeed. He's still very quick! So fast that somebody asked the question on the radio... "Is that a race car driver in that yellow car? " :)

It is new to the area I believe.

Hey, Jackley.

WHERE were you standing to get those head on shots of cars in Turn 5????? Were you in 'no-no' land? low angle straight out of the corner! Great depth of field on your shots from T6 station back through 5 too. Wonderful photos..

Last edited:
Hey, Jackley.

WHERE were you standing to get those head on shots of cars in Turn 5????? Were you in 'no-no' land? low angle straight out of the corner! Great depth of field on your shots from T6 station back through 5 too. Wonderful photos..

Hello Richard,
You mean like this one? Nope, just up on the hill side in the spectator area with a 400mm lens:)... and cropped the image a little too. Both of these were from up on the hill. Don't worry, I've been at the track enough to know where I should and shouldn't stand:). I don't want to get hit either...
517672027_rR6Rg-M-2.jpg

517673179_KKwmr-M-2.jpg

April pics

The gorgeous #116 Triumph is in fact a TR-4 and driven by
a good friend of mine, John James from Gig Harbor. John is also
the current president of the Olympic Peninsula Region of PCA!

Back