Spokane Race Cancelled?? [Admin: no, it's not]

Status
Not open for further replies.

kerry_mcmurtrey

Lazy Member
Just talked to a couple from Spokane over for the Sovren race at PR and was informed that the July 17th race Might be canceled. Seems the County bulldozed the turn stations, the club is looking for money to build new stations. Hopefully someone is looking into this...

I don't know anything about this, but can we please put the brakes on the speculation right away, until we hear some good info from someone with the authority to comment?

NWMS knows about the removal of the old worker stations. it was discussed a bit at the last meeting. As of NWMS last meeting the July event was a go. Like Randy said unless you hear anything from a Club official it is still on..

BTW... A lot of work has been done in the past few weeksout there. Check out the new 670' drag launch pad. Bucky decided to go with a longer concrete pad then the proposed 330' .

Here is a link to the newest photos... Notice the new paint, walls, and bathroom improvements .

http://spokanecountyraceway.com/photo-gallery/facility-photos/

Last edited:
I was at the SOVREN race (worked T8 in the AM and T-3B afternoon all by my lonesome). There weren't any rumors down there.

But then I'm the last to know anything about anything.

I DID notice something on the way out though. This is not a rumor. WELL hidden behind the trees (drivers left entering) and before the Park & Ride field, there's another humongous hole being dug.

Oh, I did pick up one GOOD rumor. THE RAVEN will be in Portland ! :) and it's a beauty.

Last edited:
Probably just more gravel being removed Rich, but then again...
I can't believe they bull dozed perfectly good turn stations and wasted all that work we as IRDC did to get those up years ago. I assume they have someone managing these upgrades, but it makes you wonder when you hear stuff like this. Is it safe to assume they are planning on new and better stations?

The hole being dug (which is now on hold) is owned by someone else and is eventually going to be tennis courts and such.
P.R. Ron knows the oval mgr (at Spokane) and is going to check that source to find out whatever.
We were hoping someone from Spokane could answer all our burning questions.
As you say it's probably just a planned upgrade, after all those turn stations were 12 years old already...

BTW, I wonder if the drag strip repaving will emcompass the area before the launch pad? That could use a bit of TLC, for our racing anyway, and I hope they will take a look at that section. Other than that, T1 could defintely use some massaging, and the paddock and restrooms of course. Otherwise the road course is pretty darn good for the most part.
If the county owns the track, and they are responsible for the upgrades, then why should NWMS be looking for money to replace turn stations that the county tore down? The logic of that situation totally escapes me. What am I missing here Randy?

Okay, blame me, I told Kerry that the race MAY be canceled and that it was purely hear-say.
The reason told me by an undisclosed individual directly involved with the track was that the lack of turn stations made it impossible to hold the event - or any event - until they reappear. I'm sure that the insurance carriers specify them.
That's all I know regarding that and all that I said to Kerry.
The reasoning behind removal of the staions is unclear. I would suppose that someone told some worker types to go out and clean up the corners. Who knows if it will become clear what happened? What matters is that they are gone and nothing can happen out there until they are replaced.
One of our customers has submitted a bid to the county and is awaiting a P.O. to build the replacements.

Lawrence

Last edited:
A corner post (turn station) requires a 'protected' area in which to habitate. Whether, or not it has a wood floor and a roof should not be directly relevant to anyone but those that are the inhabitants.

I heard that the bulldozing of the stations was a mis-communication, and so believe that it puts the Track mgmt into kinda one of those "Whaddyagonnado?" situations.

Answer: Gets some barriers and tire walls like all those other tracks use. NWMS...start finding a sponsor for canopies and tie-downs.

Place-N-Play.

Last edited:
I spoke with Scott Adare today, and he is well aware of everything that is going on at the track. We didn't discuss the turn stations specifically, but again I'm told the people that actually know what's going on at the facility have things fully under control.

No drama at this time to be concerned with, the race cancellation hearsay is just that.

Isn't it time to get off the computer and get ready for a race coming up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back