Old Pictures from PR, and a location ID please.

Looks like the straight at Pacific Raceways and turn 2. Quite the different landscape without the trees!

Ron...

Your first set of photos were taken just above turn 3a from the inside of the track...probably just in front of the large fir trees and up against the fencing that was and still is there.

The second set were taken just after turn 1 on the outside of the track.

I have to comment that I was there that weekend with my dad...however, I was only 7 years old at the time. Also, doesn't the track surface just look creamy smooth! Oh, if only......

Last edited:
OK, I'll jump in here with something from when I too was 7 years old, and at the track.

Cnv0071.jpg

Cnv0072.jpg

I sure cannot get my bearings on these.

Is the inside asphalt the drag strip if this is the straight to turn 1, or are they on the drag strip pavement?
http://www.standleyfamily.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=116&pos=0

This I can figure as turn 3B from PR. I remember taking chairs and lunch, and sitting on the hill above 3.
http://www.standleyfamily.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=115&pos=12

However I cannot see this as either 3B or 2. If it is turn 2, seems like the runout from the drag strip is missing. And the tree line doesn't seem right.
http://www.standleyfamily.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=116&pos=5

Was looking at a youtube video shot in 1963, and the drag strip was pretty much as it is today, sans all the safety barriers. the road course pavement to turn 1 (dragster return) was really rough looking, not at all like the shots I made in the second link.

I went for many years after shooting these without going back, so lots of tree growth and paving could have been done.

Thanks for the info. You are probably right, PR on the second set.

1. The drag strip pavement is what you see behind in this shot. This car is on the road course surface just at the exit of turn 1. You are standing to the north/outside of the track oriented to the south/southeast with Rainier in the background.

2. You're correct, this is turn 3b and is taken from the infield hill.

3. This is "Big Indy"/turn 2 taken from the same position as the one taken in #1 above (the outside of the track at turn 1). The trees seen in the background are on the hill just to the west of Hwy 18.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies everybody. You convinced me it is PR.

1967 is such a fog...

How did they figure out the line through 2 back then without the big mossy gap crack running down the middle of the the turn?

It's the 1967 USRRC at SIR, I was working SCCA timing that weekend, there was quite a stink when we had Jerry Grant AAR Lola #19 on the pole ahead of Mark Donohue in the Sunoco Lola #6. Your questioned pictures are (the first five) SIR, turn 1, at the end of the straight - you can see the dragstrip deceleration area in the background of the first photo. The third photo was Donohue in the winning #6 Lola. The last photo is the deceleration area at the end of the straight, leading into turn 2. As I recall from driving my Vee there in the early '70s the line through 2 was pretty simple. one big arc in and out.

In the background of some photos you see the several large fir trees that stood on the hill above #3A and 3B. And in the very foreground of several you see the old asphalt, single lane return "road" that dragsters used to drive back to the pits after making their run, don't know if it's still there any more...

It's the 1967 USRRC at SIR, I was working SCCA timing that weekend, there was quite a stink when we had Jerry Grant AAR Lola #19 on the pole ahead of Mark Donohue in the Sunoco Lola #6. Your questioned pictures are (the first five) SIR, turn 1, at the end of the straight - you can see the dragstrip deceleration area in the background of the first photo. The third photo was Donohue in the winning #6 Lola. The last photo is the deceleration area at the end of the straight, leading into turn 2. As I recall from driving my Vee there in the early '70s the line through 2 was pretty simple. one big arc in and out.

In the background of some photos you see the several large fir trees that stood on the hill above #3A and 3B. And in the very foreground of several you see the old asphalt, single lane return "road" that dragsters used to drive back to the pits after making their run, don't know if it's still there any more...

Thanks very much for the detailed information. Very informative on the cars and drivers.

Last edited:
Jim, the road you see behind the yellow car at T1 is the shut off area for the drags. Once they slowed down they turned right and came back up through T2 and T1, which they still do these days.
It sure was a much more pleasant view back then on the outside of T2 before they ripped out all of those beautiful tress and stuck the motocross track over there.

Sorry, in my first post I got a number wrong...

Your 4th and 7th pictures are of the pace lap (I was in the tower at S/F); the 5th photo apparently is lap one, George Follmer in the lead. The car numbers I remember and can make out on your photos are:

78 Jerry Grant, pole, Lola T70
6 Mark Donohue, Lola
16 George Follmer, Lola
97 Charley Hayes, McKee
17 Lew Florence, Genie
73 Ken Legg, Lotus 23
22 Fred Baker, Porsche 901/906
0 Don Jensen, Burnett (I can't see his number but I recognize his orange car with the Chaparrel style high wing)

Being completely bored I Googled the 1967 USRRC and found the following results from USRRC Pacific Raceways 6 round, unfortunately with no car numbers:

Race: * 70 laps = 253,472 km AVG: 156,541 km/h

FL: Mark Donohue Lola T70 Mk.3 Chevrolet 1:20,200

Pos. NO Driver / Nationality Car Entrant Laps Time/Retired Group Practice

Classified:

1. - Mark Donohue / USA Lola T70 Mk.3 Chevrolet Roger Penske
2. - Peter Revson / USA McLaren - Chevrolet
3. - Lothar Motschenbacher / USA McLaren M1C Chevrolet
4. - Sam Posey / USA McLaren - Chevrolet
5. - Bill Eve / USA Lola - Chevrolet
6. - Ted Peterson McLaren - Chevrolet
7. - Chuck Parsons / USA McLaren - Chevrolet
8. - Scooter Patrick / USA Porsche 906
9. - Merle Brennan / USA Genie Mk10
10. - Bud Morley / USA McLaren
11. - Monte Shelton / USA Lola - Chevrolet
12. - Fred Baker / USA Porsche 906
13. - Don Jensen Burnett Mk3 Chevrolet
14. - Mike Goth / USA Lola - Chevrolet
15. - Ken Legg Lotus 23 Cosworth
16. - Paul Scott Lotus 23 Ferrari
17. - Ed Bowman Elva - Porsche
18. - Mike Eyerly Bourgeault
19. - Jerry Grant / USA Lola - Chevrolet
20. - John McCormack Lotus 23 Porsche
21. - Sid Horman Elva - BMW
22. - Charlie Hayes / USA McKee Mk6 Chevrolet
23. - Gerry Bruihl Lotus 23

Did not finish:

- Lew Florence Genie Mk10 Chevrolet
- Skip Scott / USA McLaren - Ford
- Eric Anderson Lotus 23 Ford
- John Cannon / CDN McLaren - Chevrolet
- Jay Hills / USA McLaren - Chevrolet
- George Follmer / USA Lola T70 Mk.2 Chevrolet John Mecom
- Stan Burnett / USA Burnett Mk3 Chevrolet
- Jim Adams / USA McLaren M1A/B Chevrol 20-09 Hollywood
- Bill Amick Oldsmobile Spl.

I sure wish I'd bought one of those Lola T70s or McLaren Mk IIs in the early '70s, when they'd become "obsolete" and were selling for +/- $5,000. In my next life...

It still blows my mind to think of drivers/teams like that at PR, when all I see these days are locals like us out puddlin' 'round...

The shot of Mark D in the #6 Lola is awesome Ron. I'd love to have that one and one of him in his #6 T/A side by side. The talent on Jim's list is incredible, including our own Stan Burnett and Monte Shelton. Wasn't Mike Eyerly from around here also?

The shot of Mark D in the #6 Lola is awesome Ron. I'd love to have that one and one of him in his #6 T/A side by side. The talent on Jim's list is incredible, including our own Stan Burnett and Monte Shelton. Wasn't Mike Eyerly from around here also?

You bet Wes. I need to rescan at a higher resolution to get more details out. These were done quickly for the web.

Great details on the cars and drivers from Jim. This was over 40 years ago.

The local drivers I can ID from this time were:

* Jerry Grant, Stan Burnett, Don Jensen and Ken Legg all were from the Seattle area;

* Lew Florence was from Yakima, his cars were yellow and he usually carried #11, I remember his Genie and a later Porsche 906 (like the green 22 in these photos);

* Monte Shelton was from Portland, his cars usually were blue, he later had a Porsche 906 like Florence's and the two often had great battles, I think Gery Bruihl was from down there too;

* Mike Eyerly was from Salem, Oregon, won an SCCA E Prod championship in a Porsche (356? 1600) and in I believe 1970 won the national pro Formula B championship in a several years old Brabham.

Yeah, it's pretty tough... I just moved back to Seattle after 25 years in Sacramento, down there went to races at Laguna Seca and Sears Point, they have everything. I think back to the mid 60's - early 70's, when Pacific Raceways nee Seattle International was one of the top tracks in the USA; hosted pro racing in the fall liberally sprinkled with F1 and Indy car drivers, then the USRRC, later the factory Trans Am shootouts (Parnelli, Gurney, Bucknum, Follmer; Mustang v. Camaro v. Javelin v. Pontiac) and the F5000 pro races with Eagle v. McLaren v. Lola - today it's pretty thin broth; glad I at least get the Speed Channel...

Don't get me started on the Speed channel, which is a shell of it's former self. At least they haven't dropped F1 yet, and occasionally show some real racing other than the stockers. It's heading rapidly towards the kids though, and the programs just keep getting more and more lame. (imho of course, which is the only one that counts in front of my TV.)

I have to comment that I was there that weekend with my dad...however, I was only 7 years old at the time. Also, doesn't the track surface just look creamy smooth! Oh, if only......

I have to comment that I wasn't even born at the time. We hadn't landed on the moon, The Beatles were still together, and the Nissan 240-Z was a hot, new rig from Japan.

There was a reason I was born before you, Mike....I was just preparing the way for your entrance onto the world stage.

Back