Michael Skeen Corvette at Road Atlanta T/A

transamdriver

While looking for some Muscle Milk T/A info from Road Atlanta I found this website - Axis Of Oversteer - then scroll down and find the Michael Skeen Road Atlanta Trans-Am in car camera video - great stuff if you are a ground pounder fan.

Robert Barg

Yup, 2008 champ I believe.

I can't wait until we get our 7 cars (so far) on the grid at once here with Conference...

Last edited:
Me Gusta! I played it so loud my ears are now ringing. So Randy, think you can stuff that motor into an E30? :D

Many of those guys use take-out Cup engines that originally made over 800 hp. 800 hp in an E30 sounds about right :)

I'm right along the same lines as Trout's comment. Some serious intense fun and working the draft to perfection. I found myself getting closer and closer to my monitor every lap. I think I'm going to weigh myself now because I'm sure I just lost about 5 pounds. Whew, I'm beat.

Yeah, I cranked the volume up to 11!! I thought my ears were going to bleed a couple of times when he dropped off the face of the earth going under the bridge.

I've been to Road Hot-lanta a couple of times and the elevation changes make PR look like a billiard table.

In fact, one year at the Runoffs, they had a one lap of RA footrace. Mike Allen, Joey Alvarez and I ran it. So, I guess that I can truthfully say that I ran Road Atlanta and it really did take my breath away!

Man, I have never seen a ground pounder handle like that, wow. Reminds me of Trout in his old RX7 - yoow. Is Skeen that good or is there a big disparity in cars and drivers in this new T/A?

Wes

That sucker was a pig! The old, red Opel Manta I had handled better. But it was a fun ride, nonetheless. The right car at the right time in my life. When you come down the next time I'll take you for a ride (I was going to say spin but that probably wouldn't be a good idea!) in the MR dos. It's small, it rides rough, it's on the verge of being underpowered, but man can it generate some lateral acceleration. I had it up to almost 90 on the road into the neighborhood today. Good thing that none of those open range cattle were wandering around right then...

The last couple decades in Trans-Am has generated some pretty big disparity in cars. If you look at the pro-level preparation of the Rocketsports cars compared to what would be a non-front running GT1 regional car there is a lot of difference. I would think there could easily be a 200HP disparity between the front of the pack and the back these days.

None of this is to suggest that Skeen isn't wheeling the hell out of that car though. When he catches up to the front of the pack, look at how they leave him down the long straights! He manages to catch them by staying in the throttle longer, braking later, and carrying a lot of speed through the apex. Just the SOUND is enough to get the heart pumping.

I can hardly wait to get the pounders out to play!!!!

Michael Skeen was also one of the finalists in the Speed TV series, "Setup" last season I believe. The dude's pretty good.

I didn't watch the whole video cause the phone rang right in the middle, so I will go back and check out the end of the race. I hope you guys with the ASA cars will mount some cameras this season so we can see what fun you're having amongst each other. We need much more variety with Conference on youtube, and with the very reasonable price of the GoCam set-up I hope to see more drivers installing those. Even if you don't want to share the video with others, it's still a great tool for critiquing, and improving your driving.

Thanks Tim. I'm all too familiar with your car though when it blows by the yellow M3, which is no slouch in a straight line either!

Ah yes, the 4 hour. That was a sweet win for us, thank you!
The sound your car makes when it goes rumbling by is just awesome, but of course the less I hear it the better!
Another good vid.

Back