Caldwell D13 Formula Vee Restoration

smsazzy

FV #09
As many of you know, I have started restoring a D13 that has been sitting for the last 22 years.

I will be documenting the frame up rebuild on my website. To follow along, go to: http://www.tcrmotorsports.com and click on "About The Car"

There is a paragraph about the Tsunami MKIII that I currently race, (and is for sale) but at the top of the page will be my 'blog' of sorts with details on the progress with pictures, etc. I hope to update it often. I have posted the first pics and blurb today. Check it out.

For any newbies out there, this is also a good opportunity to see what is involved with a frame up rebuild. Please feel free to reach out to me via email, or PM if you are under going a frame up for the first time. I can share with you my project sheet that I use to budget and plan for the event.

If you would like to contribute to the website in a small way (free for you) simply click on the Google advertising banner on my page and that will help me out in a small way.

Thanks, hope you enjoy.

So, where did this D13 come from? I sold mine in 1982 to a friend of Posners and have not seen it since. Doesn't look like mine, but I was curious.

Do you remember Rod Deboar? (not sure of the spelling)

It was his car, then it was sold to another guy named John I believe and eventually found it's way to me.

I will look at the logbooks and see what else I can find out.

I do remember the name, but not much else. I should email Bob P. and see if it was the same guy.

That is John Harris. I remember the car. It used to be white and I think he worked at EF Hutton, or something like that. His sister worked with my dad. I remember him chewing up a set of rains on that car in one race around 85 or so since he did not want to come in when the track dried.

Quinn, your dad's freind, who was a broker I think, bought my Caldwell in 82' and immediately painted it white over my beautiful black and 2 tone blue paint job. At his first race at PIR I heard it rained and the white paint ran off! I wonder if that is my old car then?

The only other guy it could be would be Curt Skogsbergh. I know he bought a D13 when I was in 2nd or 3rd grade. Im 35 now. That should give you old timers an idea about how old you are now! ;)

uinn!

Good Lord, what an exciting reference point for me Quinn, thanks!
I recall that this fellow only ran the car a few times and then it sorta disappeared. Sad state for a car that won the Conference championship and lots of races.

Here is a shot of my D13. Hard to tell much except the white car has the enclosure around the tail.

Last edited:
Thank you to everyone who has reached out to me with help and suggestions. Special thanks to Dietmar for the assembly manual you are sending my way and Brian McCarthy of BRM Engineering for his technical support and assistance.

Between the FV community and the VW community the page documenting the D13 restoration has been viewed over 12,000 times this month!!!!

I have updated the page to show the newest pictures and a brief recap of the work completed today. I am about 1/3rd of the way through the disassembly, then we get to start the fun stuff.

Please remember to click on one of the banner ads on the page to support the site. I may have to upgrade my hosting plan to accomodate the additional bandwidth!!!

To follow along, go to: http://www.tcrmotorsports.com and click on "About The Car"

Enjoy!

Stephen Saslow
http://www.tcrmotorsports.com

Flat towing is usually accomplished on these cars with either the safety belts, or there are sometimes lift straps installed on either side of the driver. They just extend up and then connect to the hook.

Err Stephen, Flat towing is just pulling you back to the paddock on your own wheels. You are describing how the car is taken in with a wrecker (lift tow as they call it in SF Region). Flat towing is usually done with the driver strapped into the car holding on to a strap that is wrapped around the roll-over hoop. What Kenny was asking was if the roll-over hoop is exposed so a strap can get around it or what other provision was made to meet the rule. A quick flat tow always takes less time than picking the car up with a wrecker. It also leave folks exposed for less time. Providing a quick way to get a strap on it is always greatly appreciated.

Rob

If the car has been sitting for 22 years, it may not have all the modern 21st century conveniences. Just one more thing to address during the rebuild like, a new fire bottle.

As part of an email dad sen me:

"FYI Rodney DeBoer beat Al Gegaregian in the 82 Dbl Nat at Sir and ran in the 41's,went to Atlanta that fall and was about 7th."

Gegaregian was from the Bay area and no one could touch him. Except maybe Rodney. Dont know if it was this car or not. If so, it finished 7th at the 82 Runoffs!

Back