Olympus Rally 1985

Lance Richert

So the other vintage race car shots reminded me that I recently scanned some photos from the 1985 Olympus Rally (pre digital camera). This was the year Audi sent one of their updated Quattros here for testing prior to debuting the car latter in the year in Europe. Hanu Mikkola drove the #1 prototype. American John Buffum was in car #2. This was the first motorsport event I ever attended and it got me hooked on cars.

Olympus85-01.jpg

Olympus85-02.jpg

Olympus85-04.jpg

Olympus85-09.jpg

Last edited:
They ran a stage at the State Patrol training facility in Shelton, this is an area that was wetted down with sprinklers.

Olympus85-14.jpg

This is at an ORV park, heading out to the peninsula.

Olympus85-17.jpg

This car was so fast sometimes I missed getting it in the frame properly. LOL. I was too quick on the trigger.

Olympus85-19.jpg

Last edited:
Rod Millen in the Mazda:

Olympus85-38.jpg

Olympus85-39.jpg

I only had 2 rolls of film on me that day. A friend of mine took me to the event. All I was told was I was going to see some cars race on dirt roads.

Last edited:
Are they doing this style rally around here anymore. Not the timed speed distance events?

Are they doing this style rally around here anymore. Not the timed speed distance events?

SCCA NW Region still does. Down in Shelton nonetheless! It was my first experience working a turn for a motorsport event in 2005.

The Olympus Rally returns 04/18 and 19 to Aberdeen. See www.rally-america.com for more information. Rally America is the Peformance Rally body in the US, now that the SCCA no longer sanctions Performance Rally.

The Oregon Trail Rally is in May. That's always a good time!

Preformance Rally is still interesting to watch, but it is not the same since the Grop B rally cars were banned. They were using Formula 1 engines in all wheel drive cars and were amazing to watch back in the day. If you have the time and get the chance to go work a stage or just watch, take it.

Rob

I have been part of the service team (crew) for a friend who has been running Pro Rally for a couple years.

The Doo Wop rally was also run out of Aberdeen this year. It was the same weekend as the Enduro. I hope that the Olympus Rally is a bit warmer. Crewing for cars in snow and mub is less fun than it could be. It was kind of fun watching some of the 2 wheel drive service vehicles having trouble getting over the snow packed hills of Hwy 101 on Sunday morning. :rolleyes:

As far as I'm concerned, the co-drivers (navigators) are almost as crazy as the monkeys in motorcycle side car racing. :D

My first date with my wife was a trip to watch a friend run the Doo Wop about 12 or 13 years ago. She loved it, so I knew she was a keeper.

Sure, but "form following function" in the same sense that the F-117 is stealthy. You can get something stealthier (in the radar sense) that's much more refined and elegant.

Ditto for the raw power and traction abilities of the quattros. Amazing cars, but more of a pure engineering exercise than a design.

Back