Truth in 24

westipton

I just watched the most awesome documetary I have ever seen on ESPN. It chronicled the Audi battle against Peugeot last year at LeMans. I suppose it's been out a while, but I had never seen it before, and it was amazing. Too bad Speedvision can't show these types of programs occasionally, unless of course they have and I missed it.
As I get older I love endurance racing more and more, and LeMans being the pinnacle of that discipline made this show all the better. I have yet to do a 24 but I hope to get the chance someday soon.

it has not been out for a while that was the first showing on TV . i had the chance through my work place(an Audi Dealer) to watch it in a theater on Wednesday before the premier on espn today. it has played is some film festivals and won a few awards. NFL films i think do great work on these types of films

Last edited:
Ahhh... sports car racing in HD. Too bad I can't watch 'em all that way. (Honestly, I've watched a few NASCAR races simply because they're were on FOX-HD. :D)

Shame on you Steve, please turn in your Conference license immediately! I have to admit I do the same thing, with the sound really cranked up, but only when the boss is not home of course.

My favorite part was when Kristensen calmly states after being punted towards the end, "Everything seems okay. But I will kill somebody."

Fantastic movie! I saw it at the Portland screening last Wednesday also. I will own the DVD as soon as I can get my hands on it.

I thought that it was great, but my six year-old wanted know why there weren't any explosions like in the movie Le Mans. I went to this race in 2002 (when the dollar was worth more than the euro!), and I will repeat the old cliche that this is one of those races that must be on all race fans' must-see lists. The track is enormous, and there's no way to see it all in 24 hours, so you get to explore different sight lines through the day and night. Plan on staying for the entirety, because nobody leaves at night. The sounds of all of the different engines is worth the admission alone. In fact, included with the program was a cd of engine sounds and cars passing on course. I often play it at full chat (turned to 11) to remind myself of the great experience.

As I get older I love endurance racing more and more, and LeMans being the pinnacle of that discipline made this show all the better. I have yet to do a 24 but I hope to get the chance someday soon.

Wes, You are never too old to go to Le Mans. And this year you DO have a chance to go. I'll explain how in a minute, but as they say on TV....

First the big news: This morning Don Kitch received a phone call from the ACO (the French sanctioning body for the Le Mans race) and was told that, because a team had withdrawn from the original invitation list, Team Seattle is now officially in the 2009 24 Hours of Le Mans. (TS had been first alternate.) As you may know -this is huge for our community. Only 55 cars are invited and Team Seattle, which races to raise money for Seattle Children's Hospital, is the only charity based car entered. And the driver line-up is pretty cool too: Don Kitch, two-time winner of the 24 Hours of Daytona; Joe Foster, the current Koni Challenge Cup Champion; and Patrick Dempsey - he of not only experience at the 24 Hours of Daytona, but also known as Dr. McDreamy. The car is not too bad either. It’s a Ferrari 430 to run in the GT2 classification.

So how can you take part? (Here comes the shameless plug!) Head on over to the Team Seattle website http://TeamSeattle.com and take a look at the My Face Raced Le Mans page. For fans and supporters who donate to Seattle Children's Hospital's Infant Cardiac Care Unit, Team Seattle will place your picture on the car and carry it through the 24 Hours of Le Mans. After the race, you receive a Team Seattle - Le Mans fleece or jacket and an official certificate displaying your picture, pictures of the drivers, a picture of the car at Le Mans, and a proclamation that your "Face Raced Le Mans."

So see Wes, - and anyone else reading this - you CAN race at Le Mans. And help out a worthy cause as well. As we who are working on this effort like to say; “Team Seattle will make your heart beat faster so a child’s heart can beat stronger.”

We are working on some big events prior to the June 13th & 14th race and we’ll also be setting up a viewing party for race weekend. (It must be big - Speedvision will leave NASCAR for almost the entire weekend!) More to come…but jump aboard now. It’s going to be an exciting time.

Team Seattle @ Le Mans. Wow!

Frank that is a very cool plug indeed! Who woulda thunk when we first met in the 70's that a Seattle based racing team would be part of this historic racing venue? It's late and I'm tired, but this news does bring a swelling of joy to the chest and a tear to the eye...
I will certainly donate to Children's, and whether my picture appears on the flanks of the 430 or not is immaterial. McDreamy I know from my wife, Kitch I've known forever, but who is Joe Foster, other than Koni champ?

Joe Foster is Dempsey's partner in Dempsey Racing. He is also the Chief Instructor at the Panos Racing School at Road Atlanta and is at every racing event with Patrick.

And yes Wes, who woulda thunk way back then, when you put me into an MGB GT Fastback as part of a radio station promotion, that we would be doing this? I do have to alert you to something - we are perhaps older than you think. It was not the 70's - it was April 22, 1967. How do I know? I still have the trophy!

Okay Frank, smelling salts are in order here I'm afraid. I had you set to slalom a VW Gulf at SIR in the early 70's as some sort of promo, but the driver before you rolled the thing before you had your turn as I recall.
I was a senior at Olympia High in 67' and had not yet discovered road racing here in the NW, although I was already hooked on it after watching many road races in Europe before moving back to Oly.
MGB GT eh? I wonder who that was?

Oh man. It wasn't you, Wes? What's the first thing to go? No - after that! Can't seem to recall. My apologies for advancing your age.

There's at least one smartass in every crowd now isn't there! But as my dad used to say, "getting old is better than the alternative." :)
I value your friendship Frank, and I would have been proud to have been the one to put you in that GT. Sorry the other deal I put together didn't work, (you know, the one in the following decade), but it was a fun day anyhow since I got to make my pass before the other guy rolled the thing. I bet that car dealer was really impressed and happy that he loaned us a car!

Back