Speaking of old Photos

Richard Broadhead

Flag & Com
I went in search of info on Jim Hall and Hap Sharp running the Lister Chevy's "back in the day" and stumbled upon these old images from Kent. They were posted by a fellow calling himself Raceannouncer3.

Worker photo looks like 3A and reminds us of what "watch my back" was/is all about.

Anybody recognize anybody? You have to be as old as I am to have memory's of this (that is if you still have memory's, which I don't).

In the 3rd picture the man with the hat looks like my Dad 99% sure. I have a picture at home of him in the same hat. The boots I swear are his or look just like them. He worked SCCA in the late 50s into the late 60's when he started racing with ICSCC.

RB, that second photo looks a lot more like th ehairpin at Westwood than SIR, but they sure are cool!

3rd Picture is Kent I am pretty sure.
1st and 2nd sure look like Westwood. I remember the wooden picket fence at the back of the pits at Westwood.

In the third picture, it looks like a Corvair behind the man in the hat. Then follow that line to the right until you reach the Midget and you can see the drop of the hill. I can't think of where that would be at Kent.

Remember, we're talking 45 years ago.

You gaez know more then I do. Wasn't here then.

This is a link to the posting as he has a couple of other pictures from the area on there. NOT the link in his first post. Go down on page where he's put the pics. Wonder who RaceAnnouncer2003 is?

http://forums.autosport.com/showthread.php?threadid=103684&perpage=40&display=&pagenumber=1

NOTE:
The photo of Jim Hall's beautifully restored Lister Chevy from the Monterey show!

Last edited:
race announcer

Gentlemen, "race announcer" is none other than Vince Howlett. The Howlett family helped build the Westwood track. Vince can remember literally "growing up" at the track.

Not sure when he started announcing the races at Westwood, but he is currently the chief announcer at our annual Historic Races at Mission.

Vince is helping with the Westwood 50 reunion at Mission this year - check out Westwood50.org and is listed on the contact page. He has helped Martin Rudow with his NW racing books. Vince currently resides in Victoria BC.

I have been to Monterey with Vince and it's amazing how many people he knows in the vintage racing world. He is a real historian about the "old days" in the Pacific NW.

You old geezers are welcome to get more involved in vintage racing. Please come out to the Westwood 50 this year.

Robert Barg

Wes,

According to Merriam-Webster:

GEEZER:
1. a queer, odd, or eccentric person —used especially of elderly men

I am not the 1st, I admit to being the 2nd but I'm not too eccentric. As far as 'elderly' goes, I still have about 5 years before I fall into that catagory IMO.

I'll bet Vince has a couple of albums full of those pictures from the "old days". Guess I'll have to buy those books about NW racing history!

Last edited:
I believe 'queer' as an English term referring to someone who is 'odd'. So using the two together in a sentence is indeed odd. Elderly is a term reserved for those who race vintage, so you're safe as long as you stay with this crowd!

Back