Allergies

westipton

Anybody out there struggling more than normal with allergies? I have been dealing with watery, itchy eyes and a runny nose for 5 days now. My Doc says there are higher than normal levels of tree pollen, but I've never had it this bad so early in the year.
I've tried Sudafed, Benadryl and Zyrtec, but nothing seem to help. It's hard to function when you can't breathe or concentrate on much of anything due to the constant irritation and drip.

Wes,

Historically, I have not suffered from allergies. But my eyes have felt a bit puffy this week and an irritated nose. In the past I've tried various things and every body is unique in it's response to over-the-counter drugs. Only one that has ever worked for me with colds or any such symtoms is Contac. Don't know why, it's just 'different'. But, not as good as it once was before they 'reformulated' it.. darn it. :(

More recently, I've been using zicam to 'attack' colds JUST as they are starting to reduce the length and reduce the severity of the symptoms. It does work!

They also have a flavor for allergy relief:

http://www.zicam.com/products/allergy_gelswabs

Last edited:
Anybody out there struggling more than normal with allergies? I have been dealing with watery, itchy eyes and a runny nose for 5 days now. My Doc says there are higher than normal levels of tree pollen, but I've never had it this bad so early in the year.
I've tried Sudafed, Benadryl and Zyrtec, but nothing seem to help. It's hard to function when you can't breathe or concentrate on much of anything due to the constant irritation and drip.

Ditto for me. This is as bad as I have ever had them. Claritin helps, Benadryl did nothing.

Wes - as a long sufferer...you gotta go the prescription route. Allegra-D in the a.m. Allegra 60 in the p.m. It works like a charm. Although, I gotta say I haven't started anything yet this year. I wonder if you guys are having higher mold levels this year too.

good thread. I have been in a perpetual cold-catching mode for several weeks. Never gets beyond the runny nose, than subsides. I have never had problems with allergies until a few years ago.

I use Airborne myself but since it apparently is allergies not a cold it has not done much.

Thanks Holly, I'll call my Doc in the morning and see if he'll set me up.
Today was really bad, but it stopped about an hour ago and now I just feel light headed and very tired from the lack of sleep. Maybe the storm that passed through here awhile ago took some of those nasty pollens with it.

I've never been given advice from an Albatross before, but thanks and I will check that site for sure! The Zyrtec worked very well for me, and after 3 days on that stuff I cleared up. As you say though, the rain and wind lately probably just blew those pesky pollens away for a little while.
I do take 2 Echinacea capsules everday, at least thru the winter, and that has kept the colds at bay for a few years now.

Back