Summer Racing Road Trip to Laguna & Sears

pro7racer

Hi,

I've had a Pro3 racer, and some CSM/SM racers talk to me about going to the SCCA Double regional June 19,20,21 at Laguna and the NASA race at Sears the following June 28,29.

It sounded like a fun change, and I have never beem to Laguna.

Just putting this out for discussion and any interest from the rest of the ICSCC driver.

What do you think?

Jeff Clark

jeffsauto@mazdamanor.com

If you can pull it off, go. I've been down to Laguna a couple of times to work turns and had a blast. Its a great facility , but the photos/video dont do it justice.

The first time I stood in the corkscrew I thought, crap these guys are crazy to race this thing. Come to think of it Jeff, you should fit right in :).

If you can pull it off, go. I've been down to Laguna a couple of times to work turns and had a blast. Its a great facility , but the photos/video dont do it justice.

The first time I stood in the corkscrew I thought, crap these guys are crazy to race this thing. Come to think of it Jeff, you should fit right in :).

Bah!

The corskscrew is easy. Once you turn left and start heading down, just point the car at the big oak tree and it'll take you right to the apex. Just be sure to turn right!

Hi Mike,

Since I've never been there, why don't you bring down your miata and show me around the track.

I don't think I have time to do a test day.

Jeff #07

PS It will be fun!! :D

Hi Mike,

Since I've never been there, why don't you bring down your miata and show me around the track.

I don't think I have time to do a test day.

Jeff #07

PS It will be fun!! :D

It does sound like fun, but I can't take that much time off from work. Besides, I'd only slow you down, Jeff!

Laguna is a fun track, never been on Infineon but I hear it's even better. Good luck. Sounds like a fun little trip.

Jeff...

Laguna is more about it's heritage than it's fun or challenge factor. I liked it better back in the '70s. Sears is ok and has nice elevation changes and a hellish off camber left hander, but for me the California track to drive is Thunderhill. Wide open, safe, fast and challenging. If you haven't been there, it should definitely be on your hit list.
------------------------

Bill

Sounds like a blast. Don't wait too long though, because Laguna is open for so few races every year that the SCCA races there are usually oversubscribed and people wanting to enter can't get in.

Bah!

The corskscrew is easy. Once you turn left and start heading down, just point the car at the big oak tree and it'll take you right to the apex. Just be sure to turn right!

Yup I ran it flat out after the left turn to point at the 3rd tree :D Well on the second lap anyways:eek:

The WEIRD thing is that the worker at the top of the corkscrew talks to the drivers as you pass him. It just about freaked me out! Normal calm voice he says " Nice braking, good turn in" and I heard him clear as a bell.:eek:

A word about Laguna Seca: The track has some pretty restrictive noise requirements. The last time I drove there (Jan 2008), the sound limt was 92db at 50ft for normal track/HPDE days (it's less restrictive for pro races). There are some stock street cars that won't pass that! So drivers come up with their "Laguna Specials" exhaust setups.

Both Laguna and Infineon have a lot more elevation change than it looks like on TV. I've been around Infineon, and it is a pretty unforgiving track - there are lots of places to really wad the car up. I've only spectated at Laguna, but it looks pretty straightforward, with a lot more run-off room than Infineon.

It does sound like a fun trip!

Tucker (races in ITA with me) and myself are planing on running at thunderhill this year for a nasa race at the end of may, 30-31.

Back