A quick request

Steve Adams

Just this guy, ya know?
One of our members was having a problem deleting one of his older posts. When I told him where the "Delete" button was, he responded with a screenshot that shows the buttons I referred him to, but without the "Delete" button.

I have confirmed that the forum setting is to allow indefinite edits and deletes, and I also used my generic test account to confirm it's not an admin-only feature.

Would a few of you (especially Firefox users) mind choosing to edit one of your posts and seeing if there's a "Delete" button in the row with "Save," "Go Advanced," and "Cancel"? Please respond to this post with your results and the browser you used.

Thanks.

Apparently, I was successful in deleting the post. It now shows as "deleted" on this thread. I had the "delete" button showing and was given a second chance to confirm the deletion prior to execution.

Explorer 7.0 user.

No electrons were harmed in the testing of this system. Had this been an actual deleting, I'm sure my foot would have been squarely in my mouth for such an event.

BTW, nobody has to actually delete anything, just click the "Edit" button at the bottom of one of your posts and see if the "Delete" button appears where described.

Also, the "victim" in this scenario was able to verify it's not specific to Firefox, as he's not seeing the button in IE6 or IE7, either. And my test account has only 1 post to its credit, so it's not something that's subject to an activity threshold, apparently.

I was going to delete my post to the photog, but can not find the delete button either. Must be blind or a dumb ass Okie.

Steve- Checked one of my posts and it only provides- "Save", "Go Advanced" & "Cancel" but no Delete button. Using explorer by the way.

Thanks, everybody. I was able to login as the user in question and saw the same behavior he was, so it appears to be something that's specific to some users and not others. I'll look into the issue.

I started a thread several weeks ago in ‘Buy & Sell’ called ‘None of my Bid’ness’. I had three posts in that thread. When I hit ‘edit’ on the first post [thread starter] there’s no ‘delete’ button available. However when I hit ‘edit’ on the second & third ones, the ‘delete’ button is there… Perhaps a clue… Maybe it has something to do with the VBulletin option of being able to delete a whole thread if you’re the starter?... IE7 btw.

Chip Diemond

I started a thread several weeks ago in ‘Buy & Sell’ called ‘None of my Bid’ness’. I had three posts in that thread. When I hit ‘edit’ on the first post [thread starter] there’s no ‘delete’ button available. However when I hit ‘edit’ on the second & third ones, the ‘delete’ button is there… Perhaps a clue… Maybe it has something to do with the VBulletin option of being able to delete a whole thread if you’re the starter?... IE7 btw.

Chip Diemond

Winner! Although users can always delete their own posts, it turns out that only admins/moderators can delete the first post in a thread.

Thanks again, Chip.

My pleasure... If you were so inclined, I believe, [could be wrong], there is a switch in there somewhere that would enable the user, [if he/she is the starter] to delete the whole thread by deleting the first post. In any case, you're doin' a great job man!
Best...

Back