NASCAR in Portland

jeffhanken

Has anyone heard about the NASCAR event? What are the support races or are there any? What do they want for workers or do they bring their own?

The NASCAR event is the touring series called the "NASCAR Camping World Series West" info here; http://localracing.nascar.com/races/NCWSW

The support series could be a regional ASA Northwest touring series http://www.asanorthwesttour.com/ or maybe the reconstituted Trans Am series.

NASCAR did specifically ask ICSCC to supply officials for their first race at PIR, which we are doing. This is a very big feather in our cap. Congratulations to ICSCC workers, you may be volunteers, but you are confirmed to be the true professionals you are in every respect.

The date of the event unfortunately is in direct conflict with the ICSCC Spokane race weekend. The decision to supply workers to the NASCAR event was one that was very carefully decided with input from all the affected parties, and in particular with the endorsement of the Northwest Motorsports administration that hosts the Spokane race.

This creates an extra challenge for NWMS in fielding enough volunteer workers for the Spokane race. Whomever amongst us that can should consider volunteering to work in Spokane if we can, even if it's between our own races.

Last edited:
Weather your a driver or a worker, whatever you do that weekend, DON'T stay home. This will be an "all hands on deck" weekend with the vintage race at Mission, the ICSCC races at Spokane and the Nascar race at Portland. Portland shouldn't have a problem getting workers. I don't know how well Mission is doing. Spokane is in serious need of help. So get to one of those tracks and lend a hand.

Rob

I HOPE there's no problem. Two SCCA races east of the Mississippi have already been cancelled due to LACK of workers! One late last year and already one this year. Things are worse there then here at the moment :( Even so, triple bypass weekends really don't help this situation.

I guess there are places that aren't here nor there that could be in trouble for workers also.

Last edited:
I'm very glad to hear that this decision was from Cascade and not from Conference, which would have been quite disappointing. That will put a huge strain on an already thin worker force at SRP, but CSCCC made the choice to support their own track, which is only logical.
This season should prove quite a challenge for both the drivers and workers, and will test the fortitude and creativity, not to mention the coffers of every member club in Conference.

Does anybody know any car owners for this series? I would like to see if there is a way to get my son Andrew a drive in the Portland and/or Pacific Raceways event.

Don't have a lot of money but Andrew would do well for a team at these rare road race stops on the circuit.

Roger Caddell

I'm sorry Ken that I had my facts wrong, no insult intended towards Cascade. My congratulations to CSCC members.

The main points I was trying to make were, that our excellent local volunteer workers have again been recognized by a national motorsports organization for the professionalism the embody, and that the issue of worker shortage on an admittedly challenging weekend from a worker need perspective was discussed amongst all the principle parties concerned, and an agreeable decision was reached in consensus.

This 3 way conflict for the July weekend was brought up and discussed at the RATS meeting.

Cascade had a tough decision to make, and the general consensus was that their decision was/is, for the greater good, long term.

Having said that, yes it's going to be a tough weekend all the way around.

I am throwing this out now, 4 months BEFORE Spokane.

I am asking each and every driver that is considering not racing at Spokane, to consider coming there anyway and helping out with turns, safety, pre-grid, and a hundred an one other areas that need to be covered. Yes, you can actually have a great time and not be in a race car. (ever notice the smiling faces as you went around the track on your cool down?)

At the fall banquet, Conference was referred to as family. Sometimes family needs to have help. I am asking for that now.

There were hundreds of manhours and all sorts of emails sent to convince the county to buy the track so we could race.
So, race we will........with a little extra support from our family.

Thank you all.
Lynn Rimmer
ICSCC ROD Director

Cadell, I would check with maybe MJ2 Racing.They are opperated out of Aurora oregon. Mike Warn I believe is the owner and operater. His son Jim is their driver. Might have a second car but not sure. Anyway might check with them. They have pretty good equipment too. Their web site is www.mj2racing.com. I would love to see Andrew in one of these cars. Im a HUGE fan of you son.

Last edited:
The dreaded minor question

I know a 17-year-old who may be available to work that weekend. If I remember correctly, our insurance doesn't allow minors to work turn stations, but does allow them to work in non-hot areas, like pregrid and ???. Am I remembering correctly?

Bob, you are correct and I am positive there will be positions that will need help.
When we get closer to the Spokane race, just send me an email and let me know.
Thanks so much.

Being a CSCC member I agree with the decision to support PIR and NASCAR. Being a ICSCC member I plan on being at Spokane this year to support NWMS. Hopefully the funding I have set aside for it does not need to be used for other things during this economic downturn.

This CSCC member is also planning to be at Spokane (with or without car). This race is very important to attend.
I know it's exhausting to race there when it's scorching hot, but maybe the regular workers can arrange some short stints that racers can do to help out when we have a little down time.

This race is very important to attend.
I know it's exhausting to race there when it's scorching hot.....

Karen,
Maybe it won't be so bad!

FINALLY, on one single news report, I heard that the 'Global Warming' scientists of note NOW admit that the earth has been going through a 10 year COOLING period. They also state that this cooling trend will probably continue for the next 15 to 20 years!

This latest 'news' isn't getting heavily covered by the main stream media as you can imagine.

Side Note:
Wonder if Al Gore will loose his Nobel Prize for sounding this false alarm?

On the other hand, there's a need to keep the Politically Correct ideas going. So, they say after this continuing 15 to 20 years of cooling, global warming will come back with a vengance! Ha.. like they know.

But they may be right for all the wrong reasons. The Sun is going through an unprescidented period of almost no coronal flares or Sun spots. It has Solar scientists just a touch concerned as to what's going on. Could be the quiet before an equally unprescidented MASS ejection! And, the Suns magnetic field that helps protect the Earth from intersteller radiation is shrinking. Either could doom the earth! Shucks, more to worry about. Sigh.

So, the Spokane race may see cooler weather!! That is, just before the caldara below Yellowstone erupts and wipes us out.

Last edited:
And then there is the issue of all of the ancient calendars, none of which go past 2012! Nor did any of the predictions of Nostradamas. So perhaps those who think a huge solar wind is brewing are on to something? They say that explains the weird weather the last few years, and the upcoming cataclysm a few years from now.
Truth or pure balderdash? We won't know until it happens, but I for one will be doing as much racing as possible in the meantime, and hopefully "they" will be wrong as usual.
Racing at SRP will never be cool in the literal sense Rick, but it is 'very cool' to race there for sure.
See you Sunday...

.... See you Sunday...

Yup, sure will, Wes. Tomorrow for drivers school too.

Finished ironing all my whites. Loaded trunk with stove/propane for the hot chocolate and coffee. Put the Flag stand in the car. Even loaded the tool boxes in case I get a visitor at the station that needs a micrometer to fix his car.

You think of everything don't you? I do believe that most BMW's require micrometers for most everything mechanical, including tune-ups, so you might have a few customers as the day wears on...

Back